Operation Gws

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Operation Gws

Good point Plugger.
I would prefer us to keep our draft picks next season. I will spew if the top end of the draft is dominated by GWS again though.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Yeah I think they could have gotten him if they'd wanted to, but with the fact he was only going to play for half of next year, plus the fact he is possibly one more concussion away from being in real strife and also the little matter that it is questionable if he is worth that much money anyway, they passed.

They have something like $1million or more extra in their salary cap than all the other teams (except Gold Coast) for the next year or two and then on top of that they have the same housing allowance that Sydney have (about $900K), so they effectively have something like $2million+ more to throw around than say we do. They also apparently front-ended the initial contracts of the likes of Scully, Ward and co. so that a huge chunk of them were paid up-front this year, which means that they would have a huge amount of space available to them from next year on, helped even more by Folau pulling the pin (even though the AFL paid a chunk of his salary).

So why didnt they get Tippett then? You have given us reason why they should not have taken him but then the next paragraph you said money wont be an issue. My guess is it will be an issue otherwise you would take the best players available.
Tippett is a GOP...Sydney will get burnt from this deal...big time.....then they'll raid the Saints for their next forward..as they always do.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Good point Plugger.
I would prefer us to keep our draft picks next season. I will spew if the top end of the draft is dominated by GWS again though.
We can easily stop that from happening by finishing last. :lol:

Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Good point Plugger.
I will spew if the top end of the draft is dominated by GWS again.
Hope you have a bucket with you when you let that lot go....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Probably the only way GWS will dominate the top end of the draft next year is if they lose a couple off their current list who are extremely highly rated, like Patton, Tyson, or Hoskin-Elliott. Otherwise they will most likely just have the one high pick, because they don't have any more of the concessions that allowed them to get the extra high picks in the past two years.
plugger66 wrote:No idea what being a Saints fan means. Im sure when BJ was drafted by us that people thought if he ever did leave us it would be for Carlton.
Apparently Tyson being a big fan of Richmond previously made him very keen to get to them in the recent trade period and I'm sure that after all these years BJ's love for Carlton would have waned significantly, if not completely, especially with most/all of those he probably loved not playing for them any more, and those closest to him probably all following St Kilda by the time he left. But for someone like Patton, his (and his family's) love of the Saints would most likely be a lot fresher, especially with most of those he loved probably still being here in 12 months time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it helped a little bit, if he was to walk out on GWS next year and we were keen on him. If a couple of his "idols" of just a couple of years ago, like say Roo and Dal, were to meet him on behalf of our club, to try and convince him to come here, I dare say it wouldn't hurt our chances.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote: I would prefer us to keep our draft picks next season.
So if we could get someone like say Tyson, who would fit our needs pretty much perfectly, for a pick like say, 8, even though he was good enough to be drafted at 3 in the first place, who would most likely be ready to make a significant contribution for us from day one, would you rather we use that pick on someone who is most likely not as good/elite, who has not proven that they have what it takes to perform at the level and who would probably be at least two years off being ready to make a significant contribution?

Getting someone that slips loose from Gold Coast or GWS's grasp is one of the very best ways you can get high end/elite talent in without necessarily bottoming right out yourself and they come with the added bonus of being ready to go, with a bunch of games and a couple of preseasons under their belts already. Our trading relationship with GWS being so good makes trying to get anyone that wants out of there even more appealing and is something that I believe we ought to milk for all it's worth.

The two deals we've done with GWS so far look like bloody rippers and if the opportunity to make another one as good, or close to it, comes up next year, I would hope we'd grab it with both hands.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Probably the only way GWS will dominate the top end of the draft next year is if they lose a couple off their current list who are extremely highly rated, like Patton, Tyson, or Hoskin-Elliott. Otherwise they will most likely just have the one high pick, because they don't have any more of the concessions that allowed them to get the extra high picks in the past two years.
plugger66 wrote:No idea what being a Saints fan means. Im sure when BJ was drafted by us that people thought if he ever did leave us it would be for Carlton.
Apparently Tyson being a big fan of Richmond previously made him very keen to get to them in the recent trade period and I'm sure that after all these years BJ's love for Carlton would have waned significantly, if not completely, especially with most/all of those he probably loved not playing for them any more, and those closest to him probably all following St Kilda by the time he left. But for someone like Patton, his (and his family's) love of the Saints would most likely be a lot fresher, especially with most of those he loved probably still being here in 12 months time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it helped a little bit, if he was to walk out on GWS next year and we were keen on him. If a couple of his "idols" of just a couple of years ago, like say Roo and Dal, were to meet him on behalf of our club, to try and convince him to come here, I dare say it wouldn't hurt our chances.

Sorry but dont agree regarding players following another club. They lose interest in that club very quickly and the family usually do even quicker. If Patton ever left he will go to the club with the best deal not who he followed previously.

lloyd21
Club Player

Operation Gws

Interesting comments from Callum Ward saying will be impossible to keep all their draft picks. Will Hoskins Elliott would be handy or Patton. Seeing Saints have so much $$$$ in salary cap they could front end for example Patton on 500k next year no other club would be able to match terms with Kosi gone. Imagine forward line Lee ,Roo ,Patton now that would interesting.

lloyd21
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Interesting comments from Callum Ward saying will be impossible to keep all their draft picks. Will Hoskins Elliott would be handy or Patton. Seeing Saints have so much $$$$ in salary cap they could front end for example Patton on 500k next year no other club would be able to match terms with Kosi gone. Imagine forward line Lee ,Roo ,Patton now that would interesting.
lloyd21 wrote:Hope Pelchen /Elshaug/Bains target Gws in end of next year they can't hope to keep all these players
contracted going forward ..particularly with salary cap

Devon Smith

Toby Greene

Will Hoskin Elliott

Matthew Buntine

Tomas Bugg

Adam Treloar

Adam Tomlinson

Jeremy Cameron

Dylan Shiel

They will lose at least one of these to financial $$ & coming home factor hope we get one

spot on
Club Player

We have already had productive dealings with gws, get lee, saad and milera so hopefully that continues. They have so much midfield talent it's not funny. Dangle some coin and the promise of more game time, I'm sure some Victoria kid would be keen to come to saints

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think we can strike Jonathon Patton off our list. Carlton will be throwing everything, including the kitchen sink & the classroom chair at him !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Why not take a wholistic approach to our recruiting of players from other clubs lists. I'd start by looking at our needs and then seeing if any of the top 4 teams have this type of player who might not be getting a regular game. Mitch Brown is the perfect example, but there must be others in a similar position !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

lloyd21
Club Player

Carlton can't juddys visy money included in cap next year No Gram No Goddard No Kosi all on huge $. Roo taken pay cut. Stkilda will have significantly better chance to improve list, using this regardless of who they chase.

defacto
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Carlton can't juddys visy money included in cap next year No Gram No Goddard No Kosi all on huge $. Roo taken pay cut. Stkilda will have significantly better chance to improve list, using this regardless of who they chase.
exactly. as much as i am against it, i think we'll chase brown again. i wouldnt be surprised if we threw a 3 year, 400k per year and a return to home deal at patton.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

lloyd21 wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Interesting comments from Callum Ward saying will be impossible to keep all their draft picks. Will Hoskins Elliott would be handy or Patton. Seeing Saints have so much $$$$ in salary cap they could front end for example Patton on 500k next year no other club would be able to match terms with Kosi gone. Imagine forward line Lee ,Roo ,Patton now that would interesting.
lloyd21 wrote:Hope Pelchen /Elshaug/Bains target Gws in end of next year they can't hope to keep all these players
contracted going forward ..particularly with salary cap

Devon Smith

Toby Greene

Will Hoskin Elliott

Matthew Buntine

Tomas Bugg

Adam Treloar

Adam Tomlinson

Jeremy Cameron

Dylan Shiel

They will lose at least one of these to financial $$ & coming home factor hope we get one

Matt signed a contract extension early last year, and I think some of those other boys would have as well. Jeremy Cameron definitely did.

So doubt those ones who have already signed on would be up for grabs.

For the record Buntine also supported the Saints prior to playing at the Giants.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

defacto wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Carlton can't juddys visy money included in cap next year No Gram No Goddard No Kosi all on huge $. Roo taken pay cut. Stkilda will have significantly better chance to improve list, using this regardless of who they chase.
exactly. as much as i am against it, i think we'll chase brown again. i wouldnt be surprised if we threw a 3 year, 400k per year and a return to home deal at patton.
I like this thread. :twisted:

My current opinion would be to pass Brown.
Get Patton and/or Hurley (though he's contracted)... both grew up Saints supporters.
When does Gary Rowan come out of contract? I'd take him too... and his dad played for us.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
defacto wrote:
I like this thread. :twisted:

My current opinion would be to pass Brown.
Get Patton and/or Hurley (though he's contracted)... both grew up Saints supporters.
When does Gary Rowan come out of contract? I'd take him too... and his dad played for us.

I would then let every player go who doesnt follow us.

suss
Club Player

GSW and GC will be a happy hunting grounds for all other clubs in the future. In return for providing top junior talent, they will get high draft picks, who again will turn into good players, who will again get raided by the existing clubs. Joy.

It gives us a good opportunity to inject some top-end, 20-21 year olds into the team, to make up for the talent we have lost (BJ) and will lose in the next couple of years (Dal, Monty etc). We just need to make sure we get a fair share of the pie.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:GSW and GC will be a happy hunting grounds for all other clubs in the future. In return for providing top junior talent, they will get high draft picks, who again will turn into good players, who will again get raided by the existing clubs. Joy.

It gives us a good opportunity to inject some top-end, 20-21 year olds into the team, to make up for the talent we have lost (BJ) and will lose in the next couple of years (Dal, Monty etc). We just need to make sure we get a fair share of the pie.

The catch is though you cant get the players unless you have high draft picks or trade players so to get them we need to finish near the bottom because we havent got players to trade.

lloyd21
Club Player

Can if you don't pay too much for stars.

Free agency has opened the system up have feeling Pelchen wil use this to chase only 21 -23 yr range to build list

Rather than pay overs for Franklin type.

3 clubs will suffer GWS Gold Coast Port Adelaide.

Big advantage for Saints will after be this year. Milne. Kosi. Blake probably Lenny all gone.

Of course they have to get it right

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Can if you don't pay too much for stars.

Free agency has opened the system up have feeling Pelchen wil use this to chase only 21 -23 yr range to build list

Rather than pay overs for Franklin type.

3 clubs will suffer GWS Gold Coast Port Adelaide.

Big advantage for Saints will after be this year. Milne. Kosi. Blake probably Lenny all gone.

Of course they have to get it right
How does FA help you get those types?

lloyd21
Club Player

Other clubs will chase 26-30yr olds Stkilda won't

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Noone has mentioned their ridiculous array of key position backmen. Next year will be a great time to pick up one of them, I'd rather that than Brown.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Middo
Club Player

Think it means if he was given a preference he would play with a team he followed...???

Ain't rocket science champ ..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:... Get Patton and/or Hurley (though he's contracted)... both grew up Saints supporters.
I would then let every player go who doesnt follow us.
Snap! :mrgreen:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: