Who would you take?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

Re: Who would you take?

Just couldn’t see Watts going in the top 15 of the recent national draft, had he been available.

We were happy to trade pick 12 for Lee.

The “proven at AFL level/how many AFL games” argument is silly. The top 5 picks haven’t played any games of AFL, and there is no way a club would have traded a pick from 1-5 for Watts.

On a side note... we’ve had the best number one draft pick of all time.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Seriously you have watched him play and can say you have seen enough to suggest he will be more than a GOP. He is extremely uninspiring at this stage and I hope for melbournes sake it's like Goddard not Fiona. I have seen several games and a couple of casey games and right now he's just an average player.

I have seen Lee play WAFL and the foxtel cup and he looks better than Watts but is probably older and more advanced. Watts is only ahead on reputation as a number one pick. If he was drafted at number 22 I doubt he'd still be on their list. I'm not even saying Lee is going to be better but any inspired vision can only be on his reputation not output.

If he's taller than rooey he's even more disappointing, he should be able to play as a third tall forward and dominate.
How can you discus something that you decide one second a guy is not big enough and next time he is tall. Surely you are having a lend of anyone with a brain?[/quote]

I responded to someone saying he's taller than Roo. I have watched him play and he doesn't play tall. I don't get a tape measure out just observe. He doesn't come across as any taller than the mid sized players because he isn't that good probably. I asked if you have seen him play you didn't respond. Tell me if you think he has shown anything to suggest he will be an a grade player. He is athletic but slight and uncombative. He is a bit of a Jayden Post- all attributes but not much ability to assert himself on a game. If people didn't like Gram and Cripps for being soft they would tear their hair out watching Watts.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: I have seen Lee play WAFL and the foxtel cup and he looks better than Watts but is probably older and more advanced. Watts is only ahead on reputation as a number one pick. If he was drafted at number 22 I doubt he'd still be on their list. I'm not even saying Lee is going to be better but any inspired vision can only be on his reputation not output.

If he's taller than rooey he's even more disappointing, he should be able to play as a third tall forward and dominate.
Lee is less than 3 months older than Watts and if he is more advanced, then that is an indictment on Watts and/or Melbourne, considering Tom has only spent one year in the AFL system, compared to Jack's four.

Watts is listed at 196cm, compared to Tom's 195cm, while Roo is listed at 193cm, although to me he looks a bit taller than that on the field.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

they are the same age.
similar size. play similar position.
thats why i started the thread.
comparing apples with apples.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
gringo wrote: I have seen Lee play WAFL and the foxtel cup and he looks better than Watts but is probably older and more advanced. Watts is only ahead on reputation as a number one pick. If he was drafted at number 22 I doubt he'd still be on their list. I'm not even saying Lee is going to be better but any inspired vision can only be on his reputation not output.

Lee is less than 3 months older than Watts and if he is more advanced, then that is an indictment on Watts and/or Melbourne, considering Tom has only spent one year in the AFL system, compared to Jack's four.

Watts is listed at 196cm, compared to Tom's 195cm, while Roo is listed at 193cm, although to me he looks a bit taller than that on the field.

No one can instil motivation on someone. Getting cut from a list and doing it tough in the WAFL might be the kick up the arse that makes TL a gun. You get the feeling at this point in the career of Watts that his motivation to push himself isn't there. I'm not saying that Watts won't be better long term but at this point in time Lee looks desperate to become an AFL player where watts is happy to be a celebrity with the trapping of an AFL star without having to work.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

No one can instil motivation on someone. Getting cut from a list and doing it tough in the WAFL might be the kick up the arse that makes TL a gun. You get the feeling at this point in the career of Watts that his motivation to push himself isn't there. I'm not saying that Watts won't be better long term but at this point in time Lee looks desperate to become an AFL player where watts is happy to be a celebrity with the trapping of an AFL star without having to work.
Have you seen either of them train to make those statements?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote: No one can instil motivation on someone. Getting cut from a list and doing it tough in the WAFL might be the kick up the arse that makes TL a gun. You get the feeling at this point in the career of Watts that his motivation to push himself isn't there. I'm not saying that Watts won't be better long term but at this point in time Lee looks desperate to become an AFL player where watts is happy to be a celebrity with the trapping of an AFL star without having to work.
Have you seen either of them train to make those statements?

I have seen Watts play both VFL and AFL footy and he isn't a guy who looks like he gives enough of a s***. I am basing the motivation of Lee on the fact that after getting cut from Adelaide he went back and made himself an excellent WAFL footballer. Most guys get the boot and go on with their lives, Tom got down to playing good footy.

Melbourne doesn't seem to have been very lucky with drafting as none of Scully, Watts, Trengove, Morton etc. have come on yet or are gone. If they had taken the guys Richmond got they would have looked a lot better in that time. Cotchin will be the next Robert Harvey while they seem to have got a bunch of GOPs with their tanked picks.

There is still time for Watts but he would want to show heaps more in 2013 or he will be the worst number one pick for a long time. Probably only Clive Waterhouse and Josh Frazer have been as disappointing from that pick since the early 90s.