(The weight??/) Dempster Article the Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

(The weight??/) Dempster Article the Age

heading appears to have little to do with the Article- may appear with something differant in the paper.
For Dempster, most of those campaigns have also been about the battle simply to stay afloat as an AFL player, utilising his strength of character and maximising what were widely seen as limited abilities. Which has made this off-season feel pretty different, too.

After a stellar 2012, in which, after eight seasons at senior level, 141 games and at nearly 29, he won All-Australian selection and finished third in St Kilda's best and fairest for a second year in a row, Dempster will enter 2013 perceived as a leading light for the Saints, the heightened expectations beyond those of himself and his coaches a novelty.

He's dealt with that the same way he's dealt with everything thrown his way. Hard work, and more hard work.

''I suppose it's the first time I've actually had a little bit of recognition, so maybe I've put a bit more pressure on myself,'' he says from Boulder, the Saints having just finished a six-hour 24-kilometre hike at high altitude.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For Dempster, the Colorado camp has been a good starting point to a new St Kilda campaign. He had heard and read plenty about the US excursions conducted first by Collingwood, then North Melbourne, and now a multitude of rivals. Having experienced the reality, he says it's an ''eye-opener''.

''The first thing I noticed was that every 10 minutes or so you find yourself needing to take a deep breath because your body needs that little bit extra oxygen,'' he says. ''The sports science guys tell us it's harder for your body to utilise it and you need to work harder to draw that oxygen in, so that's where the advantage comes in, having to work harder without actually putting your body through a lot more work.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
While he and the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo are far closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, Dempster says there's an upbeat feel about what St Kilda can achieve in 2013, and to that end, the example of his former club, Sydney, has provided a little more encouragement still.

''They've had those younger guys like [Lewis] Jetta come in that have been able to provide some spark and take pressure off guys like [Adam] Goodes and [Ryan] O'Keefe, and the way our list looks, I think we're every chance to be able to do the same thing. I think anything's possible. You do take confidence from that because they were good enough to do it without needing to start from scratch again.''

Dempster ticks off those younger faces, such as Tom Simpkin, Ahmed Saad, Terry Milera, Rhys Stanley, Arryn Siposs and Tom Ledger. ''Last season, a few of the younger blokes really stood up, and that's something that maybe we'd been lacking the last few years.''

And now he knows it's time to be taking a bigger role in teaching them the tricks of the trade.

''I'm quite a reserved person, and it's something both Scott and my line coach Danny Sexton have mentioned during this pre-season, that I need to be able to provide a bit of knowledge and support for the other players,'' he says.

''Scott was saying the other day we've had 20 list changes over the last two years, so there's a lot of younger boys. I've been around a while now, and I'd like to think I've got a bit to offer those players.''

Given how steadily Dempster has progressed from perceived ''battler'' status to something considerably more, no one at St Kilda would be surprised to see him add that leadership mantle to a kit bag already a lot fuller than it used to be.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z2ET3YdVo5

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: (The weight??/) Dempster Article the Age

What a champ
Simple as that

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What a champ
Simple as that
Ross Lyon's greatest legacy is his acquisition.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is the one player i completely got wrong, I thought he was a real plodder just a back up type. Over my time i think he was probably my biggest miss -besides Blake who at around 50 games I thought would be lucky to get to 60. He is your classic tale of just working your arse off and the rest will take care of it's self. he probably wouldn't have stayed listed if he hadn't just worked harder than those around him, now he's one of the first picked every week. i like to think I was like sean when I was playing team sport, didn't have the most talent but turned up first and left last and didn't stop. It worked for me and would be my first tip to my kid when he get to that age.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Round 14- baring injury of really bad form will see him reach 100 games for the saints

Rohan Connaly explained the headline- still doesn't really make sense as it appeared
The Weight- was in referance to 'the weight of expectation.'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is the one player i completely got wrong...
I put both Dempster and Gwilt into that category. When they were being played as defensive forwards they looked miles away from AFL standard. Once they found a spot, the improvement was immediate. I wonder how many players were in a similar boat but never quite played in the right place so didn't make it?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sean and Gears into the leadership group this year IMO...

At who's expense though?

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Sean captained the last game of the season if I remember correctly

And we have a spare spot in the Leadership group with the departure of BJ

Superboot
SS Life Member

He won me over on August 1, 2009.

Scores were level in Sydney. A minute to go and Sydney in possession. Sean made a massive effort to get back and tackle on our HBF.

Ball spilled and went forward to Joey who kicked the winning point, but Sean had won us the game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup im with gringo
thought he was just a spot filler

got that completely wrong
he reminds me a bit of ted richards in how he stepped up, found his spot and now is first 22 and a valuable defender.
the blokes reading the play well and doing everything right
should be in the leadership group imo
cant see gears getting in just yet K

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Before Knee Injury - very good player for us

12 months following injury - understandably struggled.

Since then - great player for us.

We're very fortunate to have him in the RB&W :)

Megamaguire
Club Player

Congrats to Demps for never losing his focus and wondering if he fitted into AFL - he does!
Sean and Chips are a great foundation to our defence and if Jimmy G. can return to his best form post leg injury in his second season back it gives us a chance of producing a tighter defensive unit. Like the rest of the team the defensive mix is in real transition too - there are obviously a few spots up for grabs now and the young guys will be getting a go if they are up to taking it. I thought the drafting of our first pick in the Nat. Draft as exciting as it was surprising. Missing out on a FB didn't feel good but if we have snared a genuine ball carrier and ball getter to tear out of defence then i'm still happy.

WELL DONE DEMPS!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
savatage
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:Before Knee Injury - very good player for us

12 months following injury - understandably struggled.

Since then - great player for us.

We're very fortunate to have him in the RB&W :)
Yup you've got it right. He was playing terrific football pre-knee injury. It appeared as though everyone conveniently forgot his form at that stage - because he was pretty much a whipping boy to everyone after his return. Took him a while to find his feet - but has proven time & time again how good he is.