Saints Sign Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Saints Sign Roberton

Maybe Watters (and co.), thinks he has the potential to play a midfield role, who knows?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is like for like replacement for Cripps- a guy in his early 20s who is still in development mode. He still has a way to go but he was looking good at Freo according to freo supporter mates. They were suggesting he might have some serious potential. I guess we will find out but he at least fits the age profile we want. He is obviously a fair way ahead of Winmar at the same stage but there are plenty that are disappointed in his sacking.

Watters said on SEN that they didn't want a dud FB and will shop for the best available next year.

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote: I'm guessing you feel Tony Micale had a bit to do with this?
yes
:roll: :roll: :roll: yes the bloke who has been in the club for 10mins convinced the bloke who made Ross Lyon feel so threatend as to the list management he walked to join freo :roll: :roll:
lol oh dear

your east perth love or i suspect your east freo love for a past player in micale is so strong your now trying to convince yourself that ross left because he was scared of the pelch's list management

hitler could be in an east perth/east freo jumper and you'd think he should be a saint!!!
Last edited by defacto on Thu 29 Nov 2012 5:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A few times last year i thought - gee wouldnt it be great if we had another Tom Simpkin down back....
Im hoping now we do!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: yes the bloke who has been in the club for 10mins convinced the bloke who made Ross Lyon feel so threatend as to the list management he walked to join freo :roll: :roll:
lol oh dear

your east perth love is so strong your now trying to convince yourself that ross left because he was scared of the pelch's list management

hitler could be in an east perth jumper and you'd think he should be a saint!!![/quote]

That was the rumour- Ross was incensed that his autonomy was taken away. Roos suggested so in the media.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:
defacto wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: yes the bloke who has been in the club for 10mins convinced the bloke who made Ross Lyon feel so threatend as to the list management he walked to join freo :roll: :roll:
lol oh dear

your east perth love is so strong your now trying to convince yourself that ross left because he was scared of the pelch's list management

hitler could be in an east perth jumper and you'd think he should be a saint!!!

That was the rumour- Ross was incensed that his autonomy was taken away. Roos suggested so in the media.[/quote]

ross's main motivation was money and contract length. he's a career coach.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Interesting selection.
Hopefully Watters develops him into a good, regular player and shows up Freo and RL in the process.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I find the signing strange. As I would have preferred one of Haynes, Garlett, Pongracic or Coluqoun IF we didnt pick up a kep back.

Watters said we only rated two defenders in the draft, assuming that was Plowman and Corr, maybe Jacksh.

Either way, I wont judge anymore, Roberton can obviously play a bit considering Freo didnt want to lose him. Next year when we get a gun FB I would think we'll be more than happy with our Roberton for Dawson swap with Freo.

Finally, GWS are the ones to look at, they have about 10 key possie kids on their list...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:A few times last year i thought - gee wouldnt it be great if we had another Tom Simpkin down back....
Im hoping now we do!
Simpkin's an undersized KPD. Roberton's a running defender with good disposal who doesn't get a lot of the footy. Much more Raph Clarke than Tom Simpkin.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Q-TRAIN
Club Player

They aren't surplus, they are depth. Just because they aren't in our best 22 doesn't mean we don't need them.[/quote]

yeah i gotta agree 100% with you on that one Simmo.
Sure it would have been freaken awesome to actually get a full back, but we did lose Polo, Peake and others who were all "depth" players. With the salary cap we cant afford to have 32 players on the list who would be a walk up start in the best 22 each week. You gotta have a few 'cheapies who go OK ' just in case injuries or bad form affects your best 22.
In a perfect world we will be playing so well next yr that Trent Dennis Lane & Roberton will be running around in the two's all yr thinking to themselves " Bloody Hell , the Saints are flying, how am i ever going to break into this side" :P :P

elvis lives
Club Player

Whoever picks up garlett will be laughing for years to come. In 2020 after his second brownlow, people will be looking back to November 2012 wondering what drugs the collective football world were on (maybe Gary Pert knows) that led them to thinking 18 year old kid could not turn his so called behavior issues around.

I am marching in the Saints army
gringo
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Whoever picks up garlett will be laughing for years to come. In 2020 after his second brownlow, people will be looking back to November 2012 wondering what drugs the collective football world were on (maybe Gary Pert knows) that led them to thinking 18 year old kid could not turn his so called behavior issues around.

I'm with you don't know about Brownlows but I think he will give more to essendon than Goddard will. I wish we took a risk on him.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
elvis lives wrote:Whoever picks up garlett will be laughing for years to come. In 2020 after his second brownlow, people will be looking back to November 2012 wondering what drugs the collective football world were on (maybe Gary Pert knows) that led them to thinking 18 year old kid could not turn his so called behavior issues around.

I'm with you don't know about Brownlows but I think he will give more to essendon than Goddard will. I wish we took a risk on him.
I suggest know one will even remember who Dale Garlett was in 2020. Just my opinion of course. Don't think it's the collective football world who have been on drugs.

Club Player

8856brother wrote:
gringo wrote:

I suggest know one will even remember who Dale Garlett was in 2020. Just my opinion of course. Don't think it's the collective football world who have been on drugs.
According to Gary Pert all the players are on drugs arent they????
Or was that just all the old Collingwood players like Crossisca? And Pert is trying to bring everyone else down to the Maggotpies level to make themselves feel better.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:good get by the club the kid can play .... as for all the sooking about not getting a fullback i would rather we go without a fullback this season and use a patched up defensive structure and get a top notch one next season rather than pick a below average fullback just for the sake of getting one ... its a bit like GT not wanting to waste $ on a dud ruckman for the sake of getting a ruckman
This!

It's big picture stuff guys...

Remember all the uncountable (often unprintable) complaints about soooooo many (often unmemorable, uncoordinated, sometimes unmentionable) GOPs we brought in as short term stop gaps/gops...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Q-TRAIN wrote: According to Gary Pert all the players are on drugs arent they????
Or was that just all the old Collingwood players like Crossisca? And Pert is trying to bring everyone else down to the Maggotpies level to make themselves feel better.

According to Caro the Pies sent Sharrod Wellingham home to where he can score easier and Swan is so iced up his head may explode. I suspect those glasses were holding Wellinghams eyeballs in his head when he was off the field.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote: lol oh dear

your east perth love or i suspect your east freo love for a past player in micale is so strong your now trying to convince yourself that ross left because he was scared of the pelch's list management

hitler could be in an east perth/east freo jumper and you'd think he should be a saint!!!
i am a strong East Freo supporter ill admit that but i also see quallity in people and Tony Michale is quallity .. ask Dean Cox who he credits for his ability to become not just an AFL footballer but the best AFL footballer he could be .. but this has nothing to do with Michale considering he has been in the job only a matter of weeks and his role is as a midfeild coach/development coach not a recruiter or recruiter advisor the signing of Roberton would have had zero conection to Tony ..
its widely know Ross lyon left for money opportunity and also a sore ego after Pelchen was apointed as his superior.. Pelchen with the likes of Hutchy, Baines, Elshaug, Beveridge, Collins and Liberatore would have made the decision on signing Roberton Michale would have only been maybe asked his opinion on him .. but hey you keep on making your little stories about the big bad Tony Michale

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saintersss
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:good get by the club the kid can play .... as for all the sooking about not getting a fullback i would rather we go without a fullback this season and use a patched up defensive structure and get a top notch one next season rather than pick a below average fullback just for the sake of getting one ... its a bit like GT not wanting to waste $ on a dud ruckman for the sake of getting a ruckman
Because that worked so well this year?

And who's to say we will even get a top notch FB next year? Weren't we meant to get one this trade period? If you think Frawley is coming, you can already forget that fantasy. I don't see the harm in using one spot (hardly any $) on a star state league player, if he doesn't work out, well we can still do what you have suggested and get one next trade period, it's not as if, if we get one now, we won't go for a FB next year.

Can't wait for the excuses next year, when Cloke kicks 8 goals and Watters says, 'yeah, having no FB really hurt us'.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Or he gets into a mountain of trouble in an off season and ends up returning home and wanting to play for the Eagles.
Sorry guys and girls this sainter has had enough of potential trouble.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:

And who's to say we will even get a top notch FB next year? Weren't we meant to get one this trade period? If you think Frawley is coming, you can already forget that fantasy. I don't see the harm in using one spot (hardly any $) on a star state league player, if he doesn't work out, well we can still do what you have suggested and get one next trade period, it's not as if, if we get one now, we won't go for a FB next year.

Can't wait for the excuses next year, when Cloke kicks 8 goals and Watters says, 'yeah, having no FB really hurt us'.
are we a realistic chance at a flag ? no so why get worked up about the ladder position we are rebuilding it takes time at this stage its about getting quallity into the team for the next tilt at the flag in a few years time .. wasting a spot on a state comp dud is not going to help us long term and honestly looking at the options available as a fullback none of them are exactly going to stop Cloke kicking 8 against us..
we have cut players like Raph Polo Peak and Winmar to lift the standard of the team not to replace them with again low standard players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Saintersss wrote:

are we a realistic chance at a flag ? no so why get worked up about the ladder position we are rebuilding it takes time at this stage its about getting quallity into the team for the next tilt at the flag in a few years time .. wasting a spot on a state comp dud is not going to help us long term and honestly looking at the options available as a fullback none of them are exactly going to stop Cloke kicking 8 against us..
we have cut players like Raph Polo Peak and Winmar to lift the standard of the team not to replace them with again low standard players
so why did we recruit roberton? unless were looking for something soft for the players to rest on?

saint6709
Club Player

Jones, Blake, Kosi, Wilkes, Ray are basically all surplus now… The best available FB would be much more useful even if you risk getting a spud.
Agree - except for Ray _ I would have delisted 2 of the above for a mature full back and 1 other in rookie draft

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote: so why did we recruit roberton? unless were looking for something soft for the players to rest on?
have you ever seen Roberton play ?? soft is not the word you would use to describe him he is fearless at the ball (improve on Gram) he is poised under pressure (upgrade on Raph) can take a good contested mark (upgrade on Winmar) can run and carry the ball (upgrade on polo) is only 21(upgrade on Peake) and wants to play for us (upgrade on Cripps)... plus his foot skills are much better then Gram Polo Peake Winmar and Raph combined... the focus has been on getting younger fellas who can run and can use the ball by foot as well as have a strong character Roberton fits that perfectly.. will he be a star ? prob not but he has more upside than those who gave up there spot for him so big picture if Roberton is our worst player on the team list then we have improved form last year by a big margin

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Strange pickup when our glaring weakness is not having a full back. Our senior list is full now so the decision has been made to go without a tall full back for 2013. Even if we picked up a cheapo to cover us for one year, would've been nice.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
Jones, Blake, Kosi, Wilkes, Ray are basically all surplus now… The best available FB would be much more useful even if you risk getting a spud.
Agree - except for Ray _ I would have delisted 2 of the above for a mature full back and 1 other in rookie draft
fair enough if you were going to get a quallity player out of it but in honesty at this stage the players on offer were not worth cutting anymore .. next year the crop of potential players might be stronger and we might be placed better draft pick wise or cap wise to get them into the team