Nick is delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick is delisted

i agree 100% with the players association.......poor showing by the saints and pelchen in particular......one day one of these kids treated as badly as young nick has been is going to top himself....earlier in the week h is looking forward to a trip to the usa with his mates ...next day he is a chook wrapper.....

"
AFL players' union to challenge league over St Kilda decision to axe Nick Winmar

"THE AFL Players' Association will push the league to close the loophole that allowed St Kilda to dump Nick Winmar with a year to run on his contract.

Winmar was told by the Saints on Friday that he would be delisted ahead of the pre-season draft despite being midway through a two-year deal.

The AFLPA is uneasy about the 21-year-old's contract not being honoured and the fact the cut was made so late, ruling him out of last week's national draft.

Winmar's manager, Paul Connors, is also furious at the treatment of his client, saying he was stunned to learn of the axing on Friday night.

Winmar will be paid out, but loses the opportunity to earn match payments next season and faces an uncertain future with spots on rival lists now so tight.

AFLPA general manager of player relations, Ian Prendergast, is likely to front the AFL on the issue of broken contracts and the timing of the call.

"We believe that if a club contracts a player for two years then they should honour that contract, unless they have grounds to terminate, which is not the case here," Prendergast said.

"We are particularly concerned about the timing of the club's decision, being after the national draft and the adverse impact this will have on Nick furthering his career - especially given the compromised rookie draft due to rookie list positions being reduced by two spots for next season."

Connors said Winmar had returned to pre-season training two weeks early and had been given no warning.

"Late last week we advised Nick and his manager that we would be releasing him from the final year of his contract," St Kilda's head of football Chris Pelchen said.

"This was a difficult decision, however, we feel it is the right one for both Nick and the club.

"Nick has been a respected member of the Saints over the past three years and we wish him every success for the future."

Winmar was drafted by the Saints at pick 32 in the 2009 draft and played two games.

The Saints said they were yet to determine whether to use the additional selection at next month's pre-season or rookie draft but are tipped to pick up former West Coast midfielder Adam Cockie.

Cockie is training with StKilda and was a member of WAFL side Subiaco when Scott Watters coached the side.

Prendergast said Winmar, believed to be deeply upset by his sudden exit, would be financially compensated."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

After coming last in the time trial, do you really honestly think he felt safe?

I wouldn't of...

I wouldn't even be able to pretend I was shocked that this displeased my employer.

savatage
SS Life Member

Exactly K.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

He may have had a year to run on his contract, but at the end of the day he was given 3 years to prove he was worth persevering with.

And that's more than a lot of draftees get.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:After coming last in the time trial, do you really honestly think he felt safe?

I wouldn't of...

I wouldn't even be able to pretend I was shocked that this displeased my employer.
'

Who said he came lat apart from one person on here?

saintlee
Club Player

I would like to know why he was delisted now and not before the draft? What has changed in that time?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:After coming last in the time trial, do you really honestly think he felt safe?

I wouldn't of...

'

A few have said it elsewhere.

Paul Connors prefers to use the words 'less than favourable'

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I wouldn't of...

'

Was reported that he performed badly in the time trial in the papers, but who knows where they got that info from...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Fell very sorry for the guy, but football is a business, and these things happen in business all the time.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I wouldn't of...

'

A few have said it elsewhere.

Paul Connors prefers to use the words 'less than favourable'

I havent heard it anywhere apart from on here and i listen to SEN all day.

simon.r
Club Player

Was praised in the weight room on the day of the time trial.Was'nt "switched on"for the run,and was asked if he was ok physically,saying yes.Trained really well during the week.Then on Friday afternoon was asked to meet the coach and 1 other at a pub, to be told he was sacked.Paul Connors has every right to be pissed off,along with Nick.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't of...

he came back to training two weeks earlier than he had to, so i guess he was trying.......look they wanted to delist another player to get a pick in the preseason draft or the rookie draft.....nick was the bunny....the time trial thing is just an excuse if you ask me.....in other worlds...yea, he was slow, sp

Middo
Club Player

Geez Ameet must have been telling fibs on SEN this morning cause sounds like he had plenty of warning , and I'm sure he knows more than us...just taking a line from someone else ....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was apparently told to get moving or he would be moved on and was probably unlucky in the end but there are plenty of those in the AFL. Kyle Riemers was sacked and he showed a heap more promise on field than Nick. It is a cut throat industry and good guys get rough deals. I think we needed to find a spot and they went through a list of who had shown the least in the longest amount of time and unfortunately that was NW.

i hope he can go away and do a Tom Lee, get some form at WAFL club and come back with some real weapons. If the draft had gone a different way he might still be on our list or if mitch brown had come. In reality he would not have aroused much interest in the draft if guys like Riemers and Roberton didn't get a go.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If he's getting paid out, I fail to see the problem. Half the league has senior spots available. Anybody who doesn't could delist somebody to pick up Winmar. If anybody likes him enough, he'll have a job next year. If not, he's going to get paid anyway. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.

I also think it's better to release him now, with pay, and let him focus on the next stage of his career, or life if his career is over. Keeping him on the list to honour his contract would be a waste of a year for both him and the club. Mark Hutchings started the same year as Winmar and he's earned himself a second chance. There's no reason Winmar can't go back and do the same.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:If he's getting paid out, I fail to see the problem. Half the league has senior spots available. Anybody who doesn't could delist somebody to pick up Winmar. If anybody likes him enough, he'll have a job next year. If not, he's going to get paid anyway. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.

I also think it's better to release him now, with pay, and let him focus on the next stage of his career, or life if his career is over. Keeping him on the list to honour his contract would be a waste of a year for both him and the club. Mark Hutchings started the same year as Winmar and he's earned himself a second chance. There's no reason Winmar can't go back and do the same.

yeah...he gets his base contract payment...but doesn't get any of the match payments he would have received playing ressies or firsts....a lot less than he was expecting to earn next year....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
vacuous space wrote:If he's getting paid out, I fail to see the problem. Half the league has senior spots available. Anybody who doesn't could delist somebody to pick up Winmar. If anybody likes him enough, he'll have a job next year. If not, he's going to get paid anyway. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.

yeah...he gets his base contract payment...but doesn't get any of the match payments he would have received playing ressies or firsts....a lot less than he was expecting to earn next year....

he also has the ability to go and earn a wage at wafl level and get himself a job to earn money on top of that. If his dream is to play afl then he will go back with a sting in his tail and work as hard as he can.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:yeah...he gets his base contract payment...but doesn't get any of the match payments he would have received playing ressies or firsts....a lot less than he was expecting to earn next year....
He wouldn't have got AFL match payments anyway. I don't know what kind of match payments player get for VFL matches, but I'm sure he can get something out of a WAFL club. I doubt he comes out of this significantly poorer than if we'd kept him on the list.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

No match payments playing at sandy.

kos
Club Player

The stkilda football club is not the first club to delist a player after the national draft. If it was collingwood delisting a guy we would not even remember his name.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:The stkilda football club is not the first club to delist a player after the national draft. If it was collingwood delisting a guy we would not even remember his name.

Why? The way i see it it would be even bigger news.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

what a load of crud .... the AFL rule says we are allowed to delist a player after the draft ... we havent broken any rules i again ask where its St Kildas problem if he doesnt get picked by another club .. we followed the rules yeah sucks to be Nick for getting the Arse but hey thats footy for you its a cut throat business where performance is everything ... yet we get painted the bad guy in it ... i wonder what Conners feels about Jack Anthony getting delisted while on contract only 2 days before the draft (from memory you have to nominate for the draft at least a week before ) same situation as Winmar

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:what a load of crud .... the AFL rule says we are allowed to delist a player after the draft ... we havent broken any rules i again ask where its St Kildas problem if he doesnt get picked by another club .. we followed the rules yeah sucks to be Nick for getting the Arse but hey thats footy for you its a cut throat business where performance is everything ... yet we get painted the bad guy in it ... i wonder what Conners feels about Jack Anthony getting delisted while on contract only 2 days before the draft (from memory you have to nominate for the draft at least a week before ) same situation as Winmar

I havent heard us being painted as the bad guys at all apart from Conners who is only doing his job. Matter of fact on SEN today they all agreed that there was no issue at all with our club. They also saw Conner point of view. I think you find that apart Conners, Winmar and the AFLPA no one thinks we are the bad guys at all. And unless Conners manages Anthony I didnt think he should or would give a stuff.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Geez Ameet must have been telling fibs on SEN this morning cause sounds like he had plenty of warning , and I'm sure he knows more than us...just taking a line from someone else ....

what did Ameet say? as the audio on SEN is not correct.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:The stkilda football club is not the first club to delist a player after the national draft. If it was collingwood delisting a guy we would not even remember his name.
I still remember the "headlines" a couple of years ago when Steve Gaernter "walked out on the Saints".

He was of course only a rookie, and he actually "walked out on the AFL" not just the Saints. Nonetheless it was written up as a "something's wrong in Denmark (Seaford)" moment :roll: