Are you excited?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Are you excited?

Are you upbeat and excited by the coming season?

Must say I'm struggling a tad - knowing we aren't genuine contenders leaves me cold and watching us try and then fail to land a key back is a real worry and a glaring hole....so we kept Blakey round for cover....hardly inspiring

I think we'll slip right back this year - off the pace of the 8. I know we can't challenge forever but I'm struggling to see an emerging A Grader

Love to be wrong

What's your thoughts?

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are you excited?

Agree tef it is likely to happen..........what hurts more we did not win the bigone to cushion the slide

the system at play

:cry:

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Agree tef it is likely to happen..........what hurts more we did not win the bigone to cushion the slide

the system at play

have felt this way since the siren of GF1 2010.

Knew our chance was gone for years to come.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't say I'm excited, probably more curious and a tad worried. Worried that we may have passed up on the chance to get some A-grade talent with picks 12 and 13 to get flawed players through trades and later picks. Worried about the decline of our ageing midfield and the major lack of talent in the 23-26 age demographic.

But with that said, the last time I had such low expectations was before the 2009 season. We don't look like contenders, but if everything clicks among the group you never know what will happen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well Gram's gone, so you'd be happy about that. You can't have everything.

As for Blake, I''m glad he's still there. More than 200 solid games, a great clubman, tough, durable, still playing good football ... I'm not convinced the players we looked at would offer more in 2013.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 28 Nov 2012 9:22am, edited 2 times in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:But with that said, the last time I had such low expectations was before the 2009 season. We don't look like contenders, but if everything clicks among the group you never know what will happen.

Great point. I remember sitting with some friends on a stinking hot February day at Princes park watching the Saints in a praccy with the Dogs. We were sitting with Dogs fans and we were all cracking jokes about how bad both our teams were and how it was going to be a long year.

Well we got within a bees dick of being Premiers,a nd the Dogs got within a bees dick of beating us in the PF.

I also predicted that day that Colm Begley would star as our fullback and Zac wouldn't get a game for us :D :D

So there you go. One thing though. Our prime movers, Lenny, Roo, Dal, bj, Joey, Fisher etc were four years younger than next season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
cannavaro17
Club Player

I am excited I think there is more evidence to suggest that low picks don't win you a flag, a good team does, I think st kilda are building towards this, sure we may need a couple of good players to come in but we can get them over the next few years. Sydney 2012 not Carlton and its band of draft pick number 1s!

Winmar
Kernal75
Club Player

Way too early to tell, who knows how the new recruits will turn out? Last years draftees will have had a year in the system and a full pre-season under their belts. I'd expect to see more of Ross, Newnes, Dunnell and the smokey of the year - Markworth. Excitement comes in different forms - challenging for the flag is ceratinly one but so is watching our kids develop. There will be some tough times ahead but in alll I'm excited about the new season, albeit a littled tempered.

markp
Saintsational Legend

No.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Excitement comes in different forms - challenging for the flag is ceratinly one but so is watching our kids develop.
Exactly.

As one of those who has lived through decades of failure, the prospect of a down period does not faze me or dampen my enthusiasm.

I just love the Saints.

I intend to enjoy watching our champs in their twilight years, our young men taking further steps in their careers and our young kids as they surprise and, at times, excite us.

Anything else will be a, much appreciated, bonus.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If you're not excited then get incited!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I draw inspiration from the last few games of the year.

Collingwood, Swans...

We weren't that far off, and IMO, things were clicking.

I said we needed a ruck and a backmen, hopefully that still eventuates.

I see us finishing in the lower half of the eight.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Wouldn't say I'm excited, probably more curious and a tad worried. Worried that we may have passed up on the chance to get some A-grade talent with picks 12 and 13 to get flawed players through trades and later picks. Worried about the decline of our ageing midfield and the major lack of talent in the 23-26 age demographic.

But with that said, the last time I had such low expectations was before the 2009 season. We don't look like contenders, but if everything clicks among the group you never know what will happen.
Im unsure as to what you mean in regards to players with flaws??

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love the guys we got in in the last two years because they have a little bit of flair. Saad will sneak goals with Milney, lee will get some games and provide some spark. Milera and Siposs will step it up again and Steven and Armo will be pushing a grade. A bit of development from Bigmac, Simpkin and geary and there is some excitement there. watching some of the kids show glimpses and it's not so bad.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
chook23 wrote:Agree tef it is likely to happen..........what hurts more we did not win the bigone to cushion the slide

the system at play

have felt this way since the siren of GF1 2010.

Knew our chance was gone for years to come.

This. Unfortunately.

Saints43
Club Player

I'm not excited in the sense that I think we're going to challenge in a big way but I'm interested to see how what Watters & Pelchen have done is going to work out.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cannavaro17 wrote:I am excited I think there is more evidence to suggest that low picks don't win you a flag, a good team does, I think st kilda are building towards this, sure we may need a couple of good players to come in but we can get them over the next few years. Sydney 2012 not Carlton and its band of draft pick number 1s!
Every premiership side needs a couple of stars and a good number of A-graders, though. Goodes, Kennedy, O'Keefe, Richards, Mumford, McVeigh, Hannebery, Shaw. Most of these have been AA.

So which Saints players will be AA in the next few years?

Dempster again. Dal is still thereabouts. Armo, Jack and the Owl are still a big step away. Stanley and Siposs even further. Unless we have some players taking big steps to get to AA quality then we won't compete for a while.

Witeout23
Club Player

Absolutely - can't wait. Go Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Always excited. Hope those that are not excited are young kids who like most youths of today cant wait for anything to happen. Has to be immediate. I have followed the club since the late 60s including the mid 80's when we were the the GC and GWS standard and made Melbourne look good this year. In 1985 we lost our first game by 100 points and after the initial disappointment was excited for the next week. I was on the Fairstar at the time and told anyone that would listen we would turn it around and win the next week. We lost by 100 points again. The next week did the same and the same result. We lost by 100 points. The 4th week I was back on dry land and still said we would turn it around. Cant remember what happened but we didnt win but we also didnt lose by 100 points.

Suck it up you guys and get excited about next season no matter how good we are. Watching our great side in great stadiums and the best game in the world. Why wouldnt you be excited.

And yes the Fairstar was the fun ship and for change the successful ship. Even if she was a panel beater from Muswellbrook who we called the Muswellbrook mauler.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 28 Nov 2012 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm mildly excited about footy returning next year.

Would be better had Kosi been cut though, but if either Lee or Hickey takes his spot its all good.

I see us a genuine 50/50 shot at making the eight. I have some hope.

Without a fullback I'm looking forward to some exciting shootouts also.

As for flag talk, that's probably 5+ years away.

As plugger said, it's time to suck it up.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Are you upbeat and excited by the coming season?

Must say I'm struggling a tad - knowing we aren't genuine contenders leaves me cold and watching us try and then fail to land a key back is a real worry and a glaring hole....so we kept Blakey round for cover....hardly inspiring

I think we'll slip right back this year - off the pace of the 8. I know we can't challenge forever but I'm struggling to see an emerging A Grader

Love to be wrong

What's your thoughts?
i'm not all that depressed about the upcoming season...but then...i never have been....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am actually more excited than I was before the start of last season.
Last year I was dreading another year of the mindlessly drab fare that we were serving up.
At least next season I can look forward to seeing a few young guys having a go and maybe see some attacking football.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If you're above ground and breathing then you should be excited you miserable bastards. Certainly a lot more exciting than the alternative. Who knows what the dawn of a new day will bring, as long as you are around to see it.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Watching our great side in great stadiums and the best game in the world. Why wouldnt you be excited.
Umm....this :shock: