Where is our future tall back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is our future tall back?

ace wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Playing at Melbourne for the moment.
He is actually still at West Coast.
We will be stealing him at the end of next season once his contract there has expired.

If the club are that stupid to get him no matter how his form next year goes then I would be very disappointed. Still have no idea why anyone thinks we will get Frawley apart from rumours on here. Really doubt they count for much at all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Or there is always the scenario that Brown gets more games and opportunity at WCE and falls back in love with the club...

Hoping they are looking at more options than just that one.

Q-TRAIN
Club Player

Correct me if im wrong ( im used to the wife doing that ) but didnt we draft Fisher as a fwd?
Maybe the Pelican has plans for one of the newly drafted fwds being groomed into a backman??

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Still have no idea why anyone thinks we will get Frawley apart from rumours on here.
Frawley may want out, Melbourne may want draft picks and we'll probably still need a FB.

It's speculation in a thread about the future. This should not confuse or upset you.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Sainter93
Club Player

[/quote]Wow, these "tall" backs just keep getting shorter! Alex Silvagni is 191cm, Kris Pendlebury is 190cm. You didn't mention Roberton there, but he's 191 as well. We've already got Simpkin, Fisher, Dempster who are 191 so I'm not sure why we'd grab more guys at the same height.[/quote]

Ted Richards and Luke McPharlin were in the All Australian team, both are 193cm. Darren Glass was the captain of it and is only 192cm. Just need a KPP around the 90-95kg mark.

lucasro
Club Player

West Adelaide coach Andy Collins says 3 AFL clubs looking to select Joel Tippett in rookie draft-Swans,Carlton and Saints-says he is ready made AFL tall back better than many taken late in the draft

westies1953
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter93 wrote:
Wow, these "tall" backs just keep getting shorter! Alex Silvagni is 191cm, Kris Pendlebury is 190cm. You didn't mention Roberton there, but he's 191 as well. We've already got Simpkin, Fisher, Dempster who are 191 so I'm not sure why we'd grab more guys at the same height.[/quote]

Ted Richards and Luke McPharlin were in the All Australian team, both are 193cm. Darren Glass was the captain of it and is only 192cm. Just need a KPP around the 90-95kg mark.[/quote]

We have Simpkin, Fisher and Gilbert who qualify for that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainter93 wrote:Ted Richards and Luke McPharlin were in the All Australian team, both are 193cm. Darren Glass was the captain of it and is only 192cm. Just need a KPP around the 90-95kg mark.
We have Simpkin, Fisher and Gilbert who qualify for that.
Dunno if anyone would call Gilbert a KPP though. When was the last time he played successfully as a true tall?

ace
Saintsational Legend

lucasro wrote:West Adelaide coach Andy Collins says 3 AFL clubs looking to select Joel Tippett in rookie draft-Swans,Carlton and Saints-says he is ready made AFL tall back better than many taken late in the draft
The order would be Carlton, St Kilda, Geelong.
It would be nice to pick ahead of Carlton but then what hope did we have of out tanking Carltank.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
lucasro
Club Player

Does Winmar delisting mean we are possibly taking Tippett in PSD rather than letting Carlton rookie him before us?

westies1953
dragit
Saintsational Legend

lucasro wrote:Does Winmar delisting mean we are possibly taking Tippett in PSD rather than letting Carlton rookie him before us?
That's what I was thinking, though Carlton have a pick before us in the PSD - but do they have a space on their main list?

Megamaguire
Club Player

Will it be a Saints - blues rush 4 Tippett then. Would both clubs see him as their priority?

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Winmar was on the senior list, so I guess they would be looking to get Tippett in the PSD?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Q-TRAIN wrote:Correct me if im wrong ( im used to the wife doing that ) but didnt we draft Fisher as a fwd?
Maybe the Pelican has plans for one of the newly drafted fwds being groomed into a backman??
No need for correction, Q. Spot on with this observation. Most clubs pick KP types and try and develop them. Lachie Henderson is a good example at Carltank. Drafted as a big forward, turned into a very handy defender. Same as Ted Richards, although it took him nearly a decade to deliver!

Same for Sam F. Came to us as a CHF. ATM we have Kosi, Roo, Wilkes, Fisher, Gilbert, Lever, Ferguson, Lee, White & Stanley as KP types, with Hickey as a possibility as well. Although a mature backman such as a Tippet or Wells might be useful, you'd have to hope one or two of the aforementioned will also step into the breach.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Gershwin
Club Player

Nathan Burke has suggested that we will be a big-time player in next season's Free Agency period now that we have room in the salary cap.

Anybody know if any good key defenders will be Free Agents next year?

summertime and the living is easy ........