Thinking outside the box

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Thinking outside the box

On the saints website it struck me today that our new Performance manager Davoren has known of high altitude training in athletics for the last 20 years!

Considering it's now AFL standard it would be nice for the saints to look at other sports for inspiration on the next idea that will give our beloved club the "edge" before the rest of the AFL.

My backround is soccer and I know how essential it is for clubs like barca and man u to have there own youth clubs so they can implement standards from an early age, I'd really like the club to make this a big priority!

Would love to hear peoples input into how we can use the wisdom of other sports to take the next step before the rest!

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thinking outside the box

The dreaded box

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

that was quick! :)

And this is also mine:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what they can do from other sports but it would be a complete waste of money setting up youth clubs because we would be just getting players ready to go to other clubs.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sydney Swans are doing exactly that - they have about 750 kids in there programs!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Sydney Swans are doing exactly that - they have about 750 kids in there programs!

Thats nice of them. Unless they have special rules we have as much right to them as they do.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

just wanna clarify that I know the draft negates the idea of our own youth club, I meant having our own vfl team

And this is also mine:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:just wanna clarify that I know the draft negates the idea of our own youth club, I meant having our own vfl team

That would be great but I doubt we have the money and we dont have a ground to play on. I would be all for it if we could solve both problems.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

I'd like to see us set up an indigenous academy for players from remote areas. Put Gilbert McAdam and the Clarke brothers in charge and look seriously at ways of bringing the likes of Amos Frank to St Kilda. This could be huge for the club and would make a great extension of the whole 'academy' idea.
Now I've said it, let it be done!

Look again it's the Flash!!
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

this has probably come up before but would seaford now be a viable consideration? i know morabbin is stuck behind a red tape force field....

looking long term i would hope the club might look at investing some of the money saved on salary cap space this year (and maybe beyond) to fund our own vfl team.

And this is also mine:
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

So the saints should develop a youth team and spend huge amount of money on it to be effective for other clubs to draft from it?

santazzi
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Not sure what they can do from other sports but it would be a complete waste of money setting up youth clubs because we would be just getting players ready to go to other clubs.
See your point.........it will only work if all clubs do the same, which means through cross raiding of talent the cost of development to clubs evens out.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Sydney Swans are doing exactly that - they have about 750 kids in there programs!
I think it's twofold, one for developing Aussie rules in NSW as a promotional tool and two to strengthen the local comp

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:Would love to hear peoples input into how we can use the wisdom of other sports to take the next step before the rest!
Buy a private jet and fly the players to away games at low altitude? Might cost a bit though.