Interesting comment from PELCHEN..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting comment from PELCHEN..

saintbob wrote:CJ and Winmar were IMO VERY, very lucky to survive as it was.
I reckon one or both will be delisted to give us a few picks in the PSD
A few picks? When was the last time any club took more than one player in the PSD?

Mitch35
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
saintbob wrote:CJ and Winmar were IMO VERY, very lucky to survive as it was.
I reckon one or both will be delisted to give us a few picks in the PSD
A few picks? When was the last time any club took more than one player in the PSD?
2007 - Essendon: Bellchambers and Josh Williams
2006 - Carlton: Ackland and Cam Cloke

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Dony think we've done ourselves any favours playing CJ over the last 2 years. Overall has played about 10 really good games in 3 years

I reckon 10 really good games over 3 years is a pretty good effort.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

for a senior player in the midfield???

well thats your opinion

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mitch35 wrote:
bergholt wrote:A few picks? When was the last time any club took more than one player in the PSD?
2007 - Essendon: Bellchambers and Josh Williams
2006 - Carlton: Ackland and Cam Cloke
Yep, and based on those two data points I'm going to make the assertion that it's a pretty bad idea.

rexy
SS Life Member

Guerra, favourite son?

Disrespectful to the greats of our club!

CJ, not in our future but contract should be honoured IMO

Maybe this year?
karnaby
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:When interviewed following the draft Chris PELCHEN was asked about the pre season and rookie drafts and he said at this time we dont have a choice in either draft.

(PSD and rookie draft) "At the moment we don't qualify for either of those drafts, but we'll revisit our list in coming days."

I believe the Saints thought that at least one of the young key talls would get through to our pick #40 and when they didn't it resulted in the pause before the selection.

The pause before pick #75 I believe was the result of Hawthorn taking Kaiden BRAND an 18 y/o 198cm athletic KPD - SANFL that we had an interest in. He played FB in a SANFL final and played very well apparently.

The club obviously understands we need a proven tall full back so I would suggest that there will be at least one more senior list delisting & possibly a rookie list delisting before the pre season & rookie drafts.

In the gun - Nicholas Winmar, Clinton Jones, Cam Shenton.

Staley may remain if they believe he can develop into a key back!
Well this thread went off track a bit, however now that it looks like Nick Winmar has been delisted [ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78776 ] it seems that we are going to be back in the hunt for a defensive KP player. Good.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hadn't read that one, slipped through...thanks for the link, and thanks to simonr for sharing.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It is not even a point of CJ being part of the future. Last season he performed pretty damn poorly and his obvious basic flaws in his game were amplified with the poor form.

He cannot kick and thus looks to dish it off to anyone and everyone in order to avoid kicking.

andrewg
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:When interviewed following the draft Chris PELCHEN was asked about the pre season and rookie drafts and he said at this time we dont have a choice in either draft.

(PSD and rookie draft) "At the moment we don't qualify for either of those drafts, but we'll revisit our list in coming days."

I believe the Saints thought that at least one of the young key talls would get through to our pick #40 and when they didn't it resulted in the pause before the selection.

The pause before pick #75 I believe was the result of Hawthorn taking Kaiden BRAND an 18 y/o 198cm athletic KPD - SANFL that we had an interest in. He played FB in a SANFL final and played very well apparently.

The club obviously understands we need a proven tall full back so I would suggest that there will be at least one more senior list delisting & possibly a rookie list delisting before the pre season & rookie drafts.

In the gun - Nicholas Winmar, Clinton Jones, Cam Shenton.

Staley may remain if they believe he can develop into a key back!
By Staley do you mean Stanly? Because if you think the saints will delist him because he can't play back I m assuming you are on drugs.

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:CJ a list clogger ... are you for real ? CJ has lots of value to the team he is still one of the best run with players in the comp. yes he has his flaws but delisting him for some kid for the sake of delisting is madness , a team rebuild has to be done in waves you cant just cut the whole team in one year or you run the risk of doing a Melbourne .... as for the comment of paying CJ out and then getting him to play for sandy what world are you living in ? if your an office worker and you get told your not required by the boss your not exactly going to go work as a cleaner in that office are you
i'm from wa and are patriotic and loyal with our WA players, but even the most loyal can see the writing on the wall. CJ is > 28. disposal is shizen. was dropped last year and never came back. his VFL games werent great either and he was shown up by the likes of curren.

CJ didnt attract any and will not attract any interest at the trade table. too old and cant kick.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Just checked the Saints website. No mention of Winmar being delisted there, and if he has been the club should be letting us know.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
By Staley do you mean Stanly? Because if you think the saints will delist him because he can't play back I m assuming you are on drugs.
Quite clearly it is rookie Jordan Staley.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Winmar is in way more danger of being cut. He is obviously along way behind where we would like him to be and not really showing a lot of improvement. Playing kids is no guarantee and we can't afford to bottom out any more. Sponsors don't hang around in tough times and if we spend 5 years on the bottom we won't get televised games making us less and less attractive.

No club wants to bottom out now we don't get priority picks. Jones is still a ball winning mid and while he probably won't play every game he will be at the saints next year. He got more games than Farren Ray and was only really left out at the back end of the year when we racked the cue. Not exactly out of favour. Even as depth he is more than earning his spot. He will probably be sent on his way by Curren and Ledger eventually but in the meantime he is a mentor and is ahead of them- if they can steal his spot we are in a great position.