Phantom: Clurey, Garlett, Rodda, Lowrie, Dunell, Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Phantom: Clurey, Garlett, Rodda, Lowrie, Dunell, Roberton

With acknowledgements to 'Juzzo' on bigfooty:

I am intrigued by how this one would affect us:

- Tom Clurey at #25 (KPD, 193/85): great to draft a born Sainter, but is he a touch too short at the level?
- Dayle Garlett at #26 (Mid 181/75): real pace, sublime skills but off-field issues have scared almost everyone else off. Do we need that?
- Nicholas Rodda at #41 (KPD 196/98): physically a beast, mock drafters seem divided as to whether he is too slow/too soft, but came top 12 over 20mtrs and is a booming, and accurate, kick.
- Sam Lowrie at #44 (Mid, 187/80): not heard a lot, but seems hint of (dare I say it) Lenny about him. Lack of buzz may be due to broken leg and less game time at the Champs as a result.
- Sam Dunell at #77: known quantity, happy to see it. See him as a wingman eventually.
- Dylan Roberton in PSD (Mid/Def, 191/82): been a bit of controversy on these boards about him, but seemingly good size and skills and still only young.

With the additions of Lee, Hickey and Dennis-Lane that would mean we've come out of 2012 and into 2012 losing a couple of mids/hpf-ers (Goddard, Gram), a mid-sized back (Raph) and sundry others who didn't really trouble the scorers. In ther place we would have a swift key forward, two KPDs, a couple of known quantity tall HPF/mids in Roberton, Dunell and TDL, a young ruck, a solid young mid and a kid with serious pace.

Not too shabby.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Re: Phantom: Clurey, Garlett, Rodda, Lowrie, Dunell, Roberto

Also been heavily linked to Jesse Lonergan (i.e. baby Lou Ferrigno) and Michael Close (KPF/D, 195, 82) in a fair number of the more solid rumour sites.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling Collingwood will take Garlett before we get a look… they don't mind a risk and seem to like flashy types…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea about the future of these players but if we got exactly those guys I doubt any of them would improve our list next year. We need Lee and Hickey to have pretty good years and our second to fourth year players to improve out of site for us to actually improve next year IMO.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

I think realistically we're going to have to pull one out of the proverbial to improve greatly next year. Between having a punt on that or a serious look at the future, I'd rather the future.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have no idea about the future of these players but if we got exactly those guys I doubt any of them would improve our list next year. We need Lee and Hickey to have pretty good years and our second to fourth year players to improve out of site for us to actually improve next year IMO.
Think you have forgotten about the hyphen…

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

My dream stab at a Saints based draft;
25. Corr/Clurey - more of a Sam Fisher replacement for the future but could hold down more of a FB role in years to come. Both with be top players and if either are free then we'd jump at them
26. Lonergan - He may well be gone by now but will be a top player to play Lennys role
41. Wood/Close - KPPs who have real potential, Wood would be my choice of the two but Close is more realistic at this point.
44. Garlett/Graham - this is a serious stretch but Garlett may go this late despite his talent.
77. That mature aged KPP from Tassie, cant remember his name. But at 26, big, quick and previously AFL listed we could do a whole lot worse!

This is about as likely as Miranda Kerr leaving Orlando for me but still, this is my updated dream draft. I've tried to follow it a bit this year but its so damn hard I don't envy the role of the recruiters!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I have no idea about the future of these players but if we got exactly those guys I doubt any of them would improve our list next year. We need Lee and Hickey to have pretty good years and our second to fourth year players to improve out of site for us to actually improve next year IMO.

No I didnt forget at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still hope we get a mature age FB in from somewhere. But I like Colquhoun and I think his name is Ashby from the Stingrays who is a Gram replacement or long term mid field prospect. Garlett will be a steal at that pick and rodda has been one of my preferred options from the start. Clurey is not really the type we are after but good player by all reports. Just hope we go best available while still making sure we don't bring in to much the same.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

So you don't rate TDL even though Sydney had him emergency in their GF side? He may be a dud but if he's as good as Milera or Saad and still young enough to develop he might be a steal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote: Think you have forgotten about the hyphen…

So you don't rate TDL even though Sydney had him emergency in their GF side? He may be a dud but if he's as good as Milera or Saad and still young enough to develop he might be a steal.

I have no idea how he plays but my best mate follows the Swans and says he is ordinary. Dont care that he was emergency in a GF either. I have heard on here that Eddy and Mini were very ordinary AFL footballers and they were a bounce away from winning a GF. If he reaches Milara or Saads standard this year then he still is an ordinary footballer. I am hoping those 2 show natural improvement next season. Maybe TDL will too.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Uncle Barrels wrote:is [Clurey] a touch too short at the level?
The premiership FB is about 193, the premiership CHB is about 193, the runner up FB is about 193, the runner up CHB is well under 193. All three of the FBs selected to the AA team are 193 or shorter. So I'd say 193 is plenty big enough for anything we'd actually want them to do.

Any KPD we draft is likely a year or two away at least. We're more likely to see Mitch Brown or James Frawley at FB in 2014 than any KPD we take at the draft. So we go to the draft and pick players who can play long term regardless of size or position. You never know where these guys are going to end up playing. There are plenty of forwards taken as defenders and vice versa.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
The premiership FB is about 193, the premiership CHB is about 193, the runner up FB is about 193, the runner up CHB is well under 193. All three of the FBs selected to the AA team are 193 or shorter. So I'd say 193 is plenty big enough for anything we'd actually want them to do.

Any KPD we draft is likely a year or two away at least. We're more likely to see Mitch Brown or James Frawley at FB in 2014 than any KPD we take at the draft. So we go to the draft and pick players who can play long term regardless of size or position. You never know where these guys are going to end up playing. There are plenty of forwards taken as defenders and vice versa.
Who's to say these kids have stopped growing anyway? 193 is the shortest he'll be.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope we get Garlett. I saw a televised match during the year W.A. v I think it was S.A. W.A. got thumped. At one time, I think it was Simpson. was having a shot for goal from about 55m. He obviously looked like he had no confidence, and turned around and handballed to Garlett who calmly dobbed it. And during the whole game Garlett was the standout for W.A. He has a lot of class. If we could get him with our 25/26 picks we would have done extremely well. With the other of those picks we should take the best KPD available.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Who's to say these kids have stopped growing anyway? 193 is the shortest he'll be.

I take it you arent 51 years old yet?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Talk about late growth spurts, I grew inches and inches when in my fifties. Wait a sec, your talking about height are you?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:    

I take it you arent 51 years old yet?
I should have added "during the time he would be at our club" :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

+1 to an older fullback...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is a gun big guy from WA but a forward and I have noticed he has drifted in a few and maybe around at our picks and that Marco Papparone. He looked great and was talked about highly so not sure what happened. We might be best to get a tall forward and play them as a FB -there seem to be a better crop this year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Can anyone confirm who the 26 year old tassie KPP is who I am thinking of/wanting us to get?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

gringo wrote:There is a gun big guy from WA but a forward and I have noticed he has drifted in a few and maybe around at our picks and that Marco Papparone. He looked great and was talked about highly so not sure what happened. We might be best to get a tall forward and play them as a FB -there seem to be a better crop this year.
There has been a general consensus that he is too short for AFL KPF, he is supremely fit but is a pretty shocking kick.

So he kinda plays a bit like Cale Morton in a way, a Flanker/wingman with below average skills

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
gringo wrote:There is a gun big guy from WA but a forward and I have noticed he has drifted in a few and maybe around at our picks and that Marco Papparone. He looked great and was talked about highly so not sure what happened. We might be best to get a tall forward and play them as a FB -there seem to be a better crop this year.
There has been a general consensus that he is too short for AFL KPF, he is supremely fit but is a pretty shocking kick.

So he kinda plays a bit like Cale Morton in a way, a Flanker/wingman with below average skills
That will drop him down the draft order. I saw his highlights and he looked like a pretty exciting player with clean hands but they don't tend to show the down side. I found his highlights looks like WCEs Kennedy Jack Darling type a bit to me classic forward and he's that dreaded 193 one cm taller and he's tall.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/503360/ptv- ... countdown/

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Can anyone confirm who the 26 year old tassie KPP is who I am thinking of/wanting us to get?

Mitchell Van den berg is 19 so not the one?

I did find a nice player for fitting our bill while looking but this guy is at Central Districts not tassie- Justin Hardy 24 yo 99kegs 195 and super athletic -Blakey mark II.

Bio: Impressive physical specimen with loads of power. Mature age tall forward/defender who at times can also play through the ruck due to his impressive vertical leap. Also has excellent endurance and shows a very nice ability to cover the ground. Kicked 59 goals this season at senior level to win the Ken Farmer Medal, his best was two bags of 7 in Rounds 18 and 21.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
St Ick wrote:Can anyone confirm who the 26 year old tassie KPP is who I am thinking of/wanting us to get?

Mitchell Van den berg is 19 so not the one?

I did find a nice player for fitting our bill while looking but this guy is at Central Districts not tassie- Justin Hardy 24 yo 99kegs 195 and super athletic -Blakey mark II.

Bio: Impressive physical specimen with loads of power. Mature age tall forward/defender who at times can also play through the ruck due to his impressive vertical leap. Also has excellent endurance and shows a very nice ability to cover the ground. Kicked 59 goals this season at senior level to win the Ken Farmer Medal, his best was two bags of 7 in Rounds 18 and 21.

Find his video highlights on the AFL draft machine -I like this guy reminds me of JPod, classic big bodied forward and nice kicking action. Hope we look at him- would make a decent back with the physical size and athleticism- Zac Dawson on steroids.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I have no idea how he plays but my best mate follows the Swans and says he is ordinary. Dont care that he was emergency in a GF either. I have heard on here that Eddy and Mini were very ordinary AFL footballers and they were a bounce away from winning a GF. If he reaches Milara or Saads standard this year then he still is an ordinary footballer. I am hoping those 2 show natural improvement next season. Maybe TDL will too.
That is a bit harsh. While you want to see more progress, I wouldn't exactly call Saad's performance this year ordinary by any stretch.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.