Emma Quayles Draft Guide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Re: Emma Quayles Draft Guide

Has anyone ever noticed that we don't say "Harvey had hamstring troubles", "Lenny has a (physically) weak heart", "Roo has a weak knee"... I think White players are a risky proposition?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:I'd say theres a few tall defenders ahead of Tanner Smith such as Clurey and Corr who both are a chance to be there at our pick. We've been rumoured to be the most interested in Clurey, who grew up a Saints supporter. He'd be my pick along with a Garlett / Kennedy / Lonergan - Realistic chance that one is avail at pic 25/26.
I tend to agree with basically everything you have said over the past month or so. This comment is no exception, I would be doing cartwheels if what you say pans out! Especially considering all of those players you mentioned could have easily gone to us at 12 or 13 and I would be comfortable with those picks. Just think, Lee, Hickey, Clurey/Corr & Garlett/Lonergan for pick 12 & 13 - recruiting masterstroke if you ask me! The only disappointment I have is giving up pick 37 to GC, but I'm guessing the deal might have fallen through had we not offerred it.

Interesting what you say about Freo and pick 17, thats an almighty stuff up by them considering he had trained with them and was overlooked for a rookie spot last year!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:According to Skeptic

"Our track record with Indigenous players is pretty bad
Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Ross Tunta'somethingarather
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

We did very well with Nicky Winmar, Gilbert McAdam, Robert Muir, Russell Jeffries. Xavier played over a 100 games for us. We have not done too bad.
ummmh yeah some of those aren't really all that recent and don't reflect our recent hits and misses.

Nicky Winmar had his share of off-field issues not so much behavior related but still would have been better if we could have supported him better
Gilbert was good but left in his prime
Muir and Jeffries are pbly not all that relevant to the discussion

Xavier was a player that did not get anywhere near his potential - on talent, was as good as nearly all those drafted around him with the exception of Judd. Certainly not considered on the same league as any of them

PJ
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:I'd say theres a few tall defenders ahead of Tanner Smith such as Clurey and Corr who both are a chance to be there at our pick. We've been rumoured to be the most interested in Clurey, who grew up a Saints supporter. He'd be my pick along with a Garlett / Kennedy / Lonergan - Realistic chance that one is avail at pic 25/26.
Agree on most of this particularly with the tall defenders but I'd put Hrovat in that mid selection and remove Kennedy (if he's putting people off by trying to do a Darling then stuff him).

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jesus, saying all aboriginal players are the same s***s me. Guys that grow up in Perth going to good schools are not going to have the same adjustment issues as someone like Liam Jurrah who is from the desert regions where they live in between European and traditional cultures and have genuine trouble adjusting to the strict AFL lifestyle with timetables and routines set by others. Some don't speak english even.

Indigenous people are diverse and come from all levels of society. Saad isn't a terrorist because some Muslims blew up the WTC in New York nor is he a mummy because he's from Egypt. Give people a go on their merits Garlett is an incredible player and may have issues that are just like Jack Darling because he's a spoilt little s*** that has always had hot air blown up him because he is talented.

Hope we get him and he goes on to become the next Nicky Winmar, Stephen Milne or Aussie Jones -he's that good. Buddy Franklin is not problematic because he's Aboriginal nor is it likely that people would remember the fact that he has that background until he has behavioural problems then the racists come calling it due to his background.

Gram was obviously Aboriginal, he liked a drink and has no discipline, from down near Bairnsdale where there are plenty of black fellas the racists should be getting some DNA testing done.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic said, "Muir and Jeffries are pbly not all that relevant to the discussion"

I wonder if Skeptic ever saw Robbie Muir play! A very talented footballer with a short fuse. Boy did he have a punch on him! He played over 60 games for the Saints when it was 18 match seasons. He missed quite a few thanks to the tribunal. You have included Gilbert McAdam who only played 50 odd games.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Jesus, saying all aboriginal players are the same s***s me. Guys that grow up in Perth going to good schools are not going to have the same adjustment issues as someone like Liam Jurrah who is from the desert regions where they live in between European and traditional cultures and have genuine trouble adjusting to the strict AFL lifestyle with timetables and routines set by others. Some don't speak english even.

Indigenous people are diverse and come from all levels of society. Saad isn't a terrorist because some Muslims blew up the WTC in New York nor is he a mummy because he's from Egypt. Give people a go on their merits Garlett is an incredible player and may have issues that are just like Jack Darling because he's a spoilt little s*** that has always had hot air blown up him because he is talented.

Hope we get him and he goes on to become the next Nicky Winmar, Stephen Milne or Aussie Jones -he's that good. Buddy Franklin is not problematic because he's Aboriginal nor is it likely that people would remember the fact that he has that background until he has behavioural problems then the racists come calling it due to his background.

Gram was obviously Aboriginal, he liked a drink and has no discipline, from down near Bairnsdale where there are plenty of black fellas the racists should be getting some DNA testing done.
There is no need to bring the "racist " term into this thread...some of you lot just can't help yourselves... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Skeptic said, "Muir and Jeffries are pbly not all that relevant to the discussion"

I wonder if Skeptic ever saw Robbie Muir play! A very talented footballer with a short fuse. Boy did he have a punch on him! He played over 60 games for the Saints when it was 18 match seasons. He missed quite a few thanks to the tribunal. You have included Gilbert McAdam who only played 50 odd games.

I didn't... was b4 my time but that's kind of the point.

I've been really into footy since about 1993'ish. I don't see the point of going that far back into history when we're talking about recently.

For example, if we were discussing our ability to develop quality marking forwards, one may factor Gehrig, Hamil, Kosi, Roo, Hall, maybe even Heatley etc into the conversation but we pbly wouldn't include Plugger as it's been over 15 years since he played for us

Take your point on McAdam... that is a bit far back. He was a highly talented player but he did leave us when we really should have kept him. Doesn't seem as though we've drafted many more Indigenous players though. Sean Charles and Fred Campbell I guess but they were already rejects.

Gavin Mitchell?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Jesus, saying all aboriginal players are the same s***s me. Guys that grow up in Perth going to good schools are not going to have the same adjustment issues as someone like Liam Jurrah who is from the desert regions where they live in between European and traditional cultures and have genuine trouble adjusting to the strict AFL lifestyle with timetables and routines set by others. Some don't speak english even.

this is the bizarrest post I have ever read.

I assume it's directed at me though it really isn't remotely relevant to what I posted.

Your first paragraph is kind of my point. There is a certain amount of adjusting that is required for many Indigenous players that come into the AFL. For some it's cultural and society issues, for others life style - timetables and regimes etc.

Some Vic clubs seem to manage these issues fairly well whereas we don't at the moment IMO. The point isn't Indigenous players are too hard to develop it's that we're not properly equipped to do it. Take a look at the Clarke brothers... both top 10 picks, highly rated juniors, everybody wanted them though Raph's stocks dropped a bit as he was initially touted as a top 3 pick and we produced 2 of the most soft-tissue injury prone players of all time.
I wonder if perhaps we had them do too much weight work... there's not that many stocky Indigenous footballers out there.

If this guy Gartlett gets p/u by Collingwood, chances are he'll do better than if he gets p/u by us

As for the rest of what you posted... well go back and read the thread and see how you missed the point. I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't want any kid they take to turn into an absolute super star

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Fabulous Phil Narkle - played 48 games for us over 3 seasons and averaged just under 20 possessions a game - liked a goal as well

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
happy feet
Club Player

The s*** Robbie Muir had to put up with on the field was an absolute disgrace. It would not happen today. An immensely talented footballer given a raw deal. I remember one day at Morrabbin Robbie Muir did a demolition of dual brownlow medallist Keith Greig - one of our few wins over North in that period. Anyone else old enough to remember that.?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We could do a lot worse than employ X-man into our development/mentor program. Regardless of whether we pick indigenous players or not, he would add plenty for our young guys. Of course having like someone him around the club would hopefully give us confidence to go for a guy like Garlett.

bergsone
SS Life Member

happy feet wrote:The s*** Robbie Muir had to put up with on the field was an absolute disgrace. It would not happen today. An immensely talented footballer given a raw deal. I remember one day at Morrabbin Robbie Muir did a demolition of dual brownlow medallist Keith Greig - one of our few wins over North in that period. Anyone else old enough to remember that.?

Yes do remember that,he was a very good footballer who had a short fuse,on talent alone should have been a 200 gamer

SuperDuper
Club Player

Would be pumped if we get Garlett

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:We could do a lot worse than employ X-man into our development/mentor program. Regardless of whether we pick indigenous players or not, he would add plenty for our young guys. Of course having like someone him around the club would hopefully give us confidence to go for a guy like Garlett.

Personally I would be rapt if we could get both Clarke boys to continue working with the club in that regard.

Both fine upstanding young gentleman, both have a lot to offer

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Reckon we'll take him if he's there

If we don't Hawthorn are odds on to take him with their first pick

Could probably live with and learn from their Indigenous boys

I see him as a trouble riddled version of Cyril Rioli....and it would be nice to have Cyrliscious haha

Superboot
SS Life Member

happy feet wrote:The s*** Robbie Muir had to put up with on the field was an absolute disgrace. It would not happen today. An immensely talented footballer given a raw deal. I remember one day at Morrabbin Robbie Muir did a demolition of dual brownlow medallist Keith Greig - one of our few wins over North in that period. Anyone else old enough to remember that.?
I remember him thumping Keith Greig at Moorabbin in 1978, but we lost the game by 19 points.

Robbie was brilliant player, all the same.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Our track record with Indigenous players is pretty bad
Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

We don't seem to be able to develop our indigenous players well.

Some succumb to injury problems making me think we don't have good info RE managing their bodies e.g. trying to make them too muscle bound

Others have attitude and behavioral problems that we don't seem to be able to curve

IIRC RT went home despite clearly having potential

I'm not against drafting Indigenous talent, but I think our club really needs to invest some money into this part of our FD so that we can support and manage the players we draft a bit better.
I find this list pretty bizarre… what percentage of all draftees go on to make meaningful careers?

I'm sure % wise, we have just as many if not more flops drafting caucasians as indigenous blokes. The fact is, not many players you draft go on to become stars let alone good ordinary players.

Lovett has never been on the rails, so pretty poor form putting any blame on the club that sacked him before he even kicked a footy.

At any rate the club has just gone to great lengths to create a development program, which should be good for all players…

Megamaguire
Club Player

Garlett sounds the real deal and in terms of available skill right now would i'm sure be right up there in the mind of Watters & Pel as a talented player we at St.Kilda could really benefit from.
Watterman has a well earned reputation for being able to inspire trust and confidence in the minds and hearts of young players. I've heard that he was able to really help Leon Davis (to pick one) bring out a lot of his potential playing as a backman much to Collingwoods' advantage a year or 2 back.
I'd like to see Garlett at St.Kilda - i think we need an injection of pure raw ability for our emerging midfield set up.

I'd be more than happy to see young Garlett come to St. Kilda, i think he could do very well indeed in the red black and white.
If he arrived along with a genuine tall defender like a Clurey or Corr i'd be thinking we had done very well indeed with the hand that we had been dealt.
Ever since the glorious days of seeing the fabulous Nicky Winmar playing for us i've always thought the Saints have had a significant aboriginal aspect to our history and witnessing Nicky change AFL history by simply raising his shirt still brings a lump to the throat.

G O G A R L E T T !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
I remember him thumping Keith Greig at Moorabbin in 1978, but we lost the game by 19 points.

Robbie was brilliant player, all the same.
I also remember him thumping dennis Collins from carlton in the last game of 78. Was on the fence in tho social club, but I have since been told on this forum that collins took a dive, shame if true.

I would love to have him today, he would not have to put up with the crap he did in those days, he would be fantastic in our team now

I love this club
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Nick Winmar

nicky winmar......one of our all time greatest players....

...pity we didn't develop him ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

this is the bizarrest post I have ever read.

I assume it's directed at me though it really isn't remotely relevant to what I posted.

Your first paragraph is kind of my point. There is a certain amount of adjusting that is required for many Indigenous players that come into the AFL. For some it's cultural and society issues, for others life style - timetables and regimes etc.

Some Vic clubs seem to manage these issues fairly well whereas we don't at the moment IMO. The point isn't Indigenous players are too hard to develop it's that we're not properly equipped to do it. Take a look at the Clarke brothers... both top 10 picks, highly rated juniors, everybody wanted them though Raph's stocks dropped a bit as he was initially touted as a top 3 pick and we produced 2 of the most soft-tissue injury prone players of all time.
I wonder if perhaps we had them do too much weight work... there's not that many stocky Indigenous footballers out there.

If this guy Gartlett gets p/u by Collingwood, chances are he'll do better than if he gets p/u by us

As for the rest of what you posted... well go back and read the thread and see how you missed the point. I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't want any kid they take to turn into an absolute super star
I'm not directing anything at you, someone said Bundy had said what they would like to say which to me suggests that we don't want an aboriginal unless they have a white parent. I'm saying that labelling all aboriginals as the same is racist.

A central desert dweller is going to be as different from a guy who grew up in Ballarat as you are from a Siberian reindeer herder that happens to be white. Plenty of white guys come from disfunctional homes -once the fact that Shane Crawford and Jimmy Bartel grew up in single parent homes would have been a sign of a bad background. Does it make it more likely that single parent kids win Brownlows so are therefore preferable?

Anyway all I'm saying is see the individual not the stereo type. Just because he's Aboriginal shouldn't mean you judge the way he's been raised.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

Some succumb to injury problems making me think we don't have good info RE managing their bodies e.g. trying to make them too muscle bound

Others have attitude and behavioral problems that we don't seem to be able to curve

IIRC RT went home despite clearly having potential

I'm not against drafting Indigenous talent, but I think our club really needs to invest some money into this part of our FD so that we can support and manage the players we draft a bit better.
we better not draft white fellas as well i mean look at our recent track record ...
Eljay Conners
Nick Heyne
Al Smith
Paul Cahill

lord help us if we pick an Irish lad look at our track record ...
Tommy Walsh
Colm Begley

better stay clear of the rangas as well i mean look at our bad track record
Tom Lynch
BJ
Tony Delaney

from this i can only see once solution we gotta pick more Muslim and more PNG players cause our record with them its pretty good

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: from this i can only see once solution we gotta pick more Muslim and more PNG players cause our record with them its pretty good
:D

Flawless record with asians and inuits so far too…

dragit
Saintsational Legend

maasai warriors? super leap, great endurance… haven't had a bad one yet.