Nick Rodda!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Nick Rodda!

FFS I hope we get this kid.

AFL.com's draft machine has him listed at 196cm, 98kg & only 18yo!

He is ready now!

Here is the link to the draft machine. Check out his video (& the size of his trunks)
http://draftmachine.afl.com.au/

He goes alright. Would slot in a full back nicely IMHO!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Nick Rodda!

I'd only take him if considered best KPD at our pick. Just because he is big doesn't mean he will make it or be able to take on a gorilla at 18 years of age

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Obviously will be pick one then so we are no hope.

Viking3
Club Player

Sad that Brodie Grundy misses out on being drafted!!! :shock: :shock:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What are you talking about Viking?

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

On that thing we get Nick Vlastuin at #25, Mason Wood at #26, Sean Hetherington at #46, Riley Hutchinson at #47, Jason Pongracic at #77, Jake Stringer at #95, Keenan Posar at #113 (but strangely pass on Rodda who goes next pick), and Sam Lowrie at #131.

That's a Lenny Hayes replacement, a tall-ish KF who can play on the wing, a nugget mid, another bloody HBFer type, a meat-axe HF/mid, the "new Pavlich", ANOTHER HBFer and a tall midfielder.

Now, clearly, that's not going to occur, but I'd happy with all of Vlastuin, Pongracic and Stringer.
Last edited by Uncle Barrels on Thu 08 Nov 2012 11:59pm, edited 4 times in total.

Viking3
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:What are you talking about Viking?
At the AFL draft machine the thread relates to, Grundy has been missed somehow.

He will be gone in the 1st round come draft time.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have talked up Rodda but he is still going to take some time but at that size could be fast tracked. He is a massive unit. Most have him late first round right out to late second round. Could be anything but at least you would know he has no prob bulking up.

Jaksche is probably the best real big gorilla beater defender but Rodda should still be there and can play. John Patton should be a proper monster forward in the future and teams will need kids Rodda sized to compete.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Uncle Barrels wrote:On that thing we get Nick Vlastuin at #25, Mason Wood at #26, Sean Hetherington at #46, Riley Hutchinson at #47, Jason Pongracic at #77, Jake Stringer at #95, Keenan Posar at #113 (but strangely pass on Rodda who goes next pick), and Sam Lowrie at #131.

That's a Lenny Hayes replacement, a tall-ish KF who can play on the wing, a nugget mid, another bloody HPFer type, a meat-axe HF/mid, the "new Pavlich", ANOTHER HPFer and a tall midfielder.

Now, clearly, that's not going to occur, but I'd happy with all of Vlastuin, Pongracic and Stringer.
That thing is not even close to what will happen

Stringer will go top 10

Vlastuin will be gone by our first pick, it's not a predictor but just fans putting in who they want

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
Uncle Barrels wrote:On that thing we get Nick Vlastuin at #25, Mason Wood at #26, Sean Hetherington at #46, Riley Hutchinson at #47, Jason Pongracic at #77, Jake Stringer at #95, Keenan Posar at #113 (but strangely pass on Rodda who goes next pick), and Sam Lowrie at #131.

That's a Lenny Hayes replacement, a tall-ish KF who can play on the wing, a nugget mid, another bloody HPFer type, a meat-axe HF/mid, the "new Pavlich", ANOTHER HPFer and a tall midfielder.

Stringer will go top 10

Vlastuin will be gone by our first pick, it's not a predictor but just fans putting in who they want
I realise that. Would still be nice to get one or more of them, and stranger things have happened.

Anyways, as the OP began, getting Rodda would be a great get

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There should be some good players drifting out into the 20s so you never know. Still hope we can get Colquhoun with one of our picks and a guy named Emmanuel Ira he hasn't been playing long, from Africa and is a super skilled jet. The guy looks like he has better skills than most kids that grew up with footy and will scarily get better. There is something different about the way he plays his footy like Saad and Natanui, just has an unusual finesse and style.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/emmanu ... 6487626659

saintjake
Club Player

sax wrote:FFS I hope we get this kid.

He is ready now!

Here is the link to the draft machine. Check out his video (& the size of his trunks)

Mitch Thorp was a big bodied ready to go player, look how he turned out

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote: Mitch Thorp was a big bodied ready to go player, look how he turned out
Mitch Thorp was indeed ready to go. And he went :P

sax
Club Player

Sick Nal Danto wrote:

Stringer will go top 10

My post wasn't about the f**ken draft machine, it was about Nick Rodda!

I gave the link so people could see the vision of Rodda if they wanted!

In Inside Football it also says he was equal 4th in the clean hands test & equal 2nd in the running vertical jump!

Not bad for a kid of his size!

sax
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintjake wrote: Mitch Thorp was a big bodied ready to go player, look how he turned out

I thought my post was about Nick Rodda, not Mitch Thorp OR the f'ing draft machine! :?

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

saintjake wrote:
sax wrote:FFS I hope we get this kid.

He is ready now!

Mitch Thorp was a big bodied ready to go player, look how he turned out
Thorp was also a raging knob-end by all accounts.

And it goes all ways, Tom Hawkins was a big-bodied ready to go player and look how he's turned out - and yes, he took time. Some, like Darling for instance, can slot right in, some take time, and some never make it at all, but unlike 'project' players we get excited straight off the bat and expect a lot.

The point of the OP was that Rodda LOOKS ready to go and is already a beast, who's played against MEN. I completely concur. I'd love to get him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I thought my post was about Nick Rodda, not Mitch Thorp OR the f'ing draft machine! :?
It ain't a real SS thread unless a little hijacking goes on :wink:

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

It ain't a real SS thread unless a little hijacking goes on :wink:
No fights yet...

Megamaguire
Club Player

Gringo said...'There should be some good players drifting out into the 20s so you never know. Still hope we can get Colquhoun with one of our picks and a guy named Emmanuel Ira he hasn't been playing long, from Africa and is a super skilled jet'.

Thanks Gringo for the article, i enjoyed the read. 'E-Man' certainly brings a great story to the AFL brand of football. Yes l would like to see him as a Sainter if the brains trust saw fit to draft him. I wonder if he would be ok with the move over here, as he is doing some great work in S.A. and is close to family connections?
It started me thinking about Jimmy G. (I know he's not of African background - P.N.G. i think)and how the club had their eye on him, drafting him with a very late pick. I'd appreciate that sort of skillful drafting again this year. Let's wait and see.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There is a taller defender in the draft, Harley Walshe, 197kg. Played on and beat Membrey and Daniher this season. Could be worth a go.

sax
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:There is a taller defender in the draft, Harley Walshe, 197kg. Played on and beat Membrey and Daniher this season. Could be worth a go.

But he's a pin!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There is a taller defender in the draft, Harley Walshe, 197kg. Played on and beat Membrey and Daniher this season. Could be worth a go.
Must be quite chubby. :D

Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:Gringo said...'There should be some good players drifting out into the 20s so you never know. Still hope we can get Colquhoun with one of our picks and a guy named Emmanuel Ira he hasn't been playing long, from Africa and is a super skilled jet'.

Thanks Gringo for the article, i enjoyed the read. 'E-Man' certainly brings a great story to the AFL brand of football. Yes l would like to see him as a Sainter if the brains trust saw fit to draft him. I wonder if he would be ok with the move over here, as he is doing some great work in S.A. and is close to family connections?
It started me thinking about Jimmy G. (I know he's not of African background - P.N.G. i think)and how the club had their eye on him, drafting him with a very late pick. I'd appreciate that sort of skillful drafting again this year. Let's wait and see.

G O S A I N T S !
i must admit players like Emmanuel Ira have the ability to walk in and instantly become a cult favorite just because of their back story (like Zep Shinner and Majak Daw) historically speaking we are generally not the club to take that kind of punt (although you could argue Tommy Walsh was our version).. i would love to see us look outside of the norm and bring in a giant international player or draft a bloke like Emmanuel Ira i mean realistically we are in rebuild mode and quiet possibly will be losing the bandwagon members from the g/f years so bringing in a cult favorite could have an upside even if they turn out to be an average player

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintjake
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

:lol: :lol:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

sax wrote:

But he's a pin!
I've been keen on Walshe for a while. In all honesty to bring in an 18 year old and say here, play on Petrie, Cloke or Cox is unrealistic IMO. I think we should get Walshe, then get a mature ager to play the role immediately. I am skeptical of big bodied players in U18s as they stand out more when younger and can drop off when playing against blokes their size or bigger.

Only a select few mids are seen in their first year (obviously a generalisation and the expansion teams and Darling are unique situations).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!