Ledger and Wilkes re-sign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StGoddard18
Club Player

Ledger and Wilkes re-sign

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger and Wilkes re-sign

Good to hear but O am suprised it's only 1 year, would have thought for Ledger it would be at least 2 year deal

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Good to hear but O am suprised it's only 1 year, would have thought for Ledger it would be at least 2 year deal

Why he hasnt done anything yet. I bet they wish they had signed Winmar to a one year contract after his first 2.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

:idea:
plugger66 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Good to hear but O am suprised it's only 1 year, would have thought for Ledger it would be at least 2 year deal

Why he hasnt done anything yet. I bet they wish they had signed Winmar to a one year contract after his first 2.
Only because I thought that's what they usually do, is it a last chance to prove himself next season?

I love this club
paddy
Club Player

Ledger is an interesting one...

he seems to be out of favour, but can play quite well.... must be an attitude/ work ethic thing....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:Ledger is an interesting one...

he seems to be out of favour, but can play quite well.... must be an attitude/ work ethic thing....
Maybe he's not good enough yet. He hasn't showed that much.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintTom
Club Player

Don't see how Ledger has earned more than a one year extension. He's been serviceable, and because of his age he may improve - but he hasn't earnt two years from his current performance level. IMO he'd want to improve a fair bit next year to be wearing a Saints jumper in 2014.

simon.r
Club Player

Does'nt surprise me with Ledger.He is homesick,still.Winmar is getting smashed on the track for what is his last chance at St Kilda.Here's hoping they're glad they did'nt!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ledger. He found the ball easily in his first senior outings. He is a prime mover in the VFL seniors in his second senior year and has a crack. IMO he has shown plenty.

He need to be more composed, but no more than Jack S.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

good to hear

but unless there have been other extensions not broadcast our ' out of contracts' is now looking decidely lopsided.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77725&p=1257721#p1257721
twould be hoped that some are re signed early in or by mid 2013.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The telling comments from Scott-
"Tom’s form and condition built momentum in 2012 with a continued focus on professionalism and work ethic he should be working to challenge for more significant game time and impact,” Watters said.

“This pre-season presents an opportunity for Tom to further mature and build a case for more regular AFL exposure. We look forward to his continued developmen

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
howlinwolf
Club Player

It's drawing a line in the sand I reckon.
No more sugar coated contracts.
It's show us your worth and you'll be rewarded.

Scott Watters is impressing me more by the week. I like what I hear from him.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
andrewg
Club Player

Ledger is a great player but doesn't have the tank for AFL footy yet. Along the lines of what Watters said.
You only have to watch the GWS game. He was great when he got to the contests but at times looked shattered trying to make the third or forth contest.
I'm hoping this preseason will help and he will be the next biggest clearance player at the Saints!!
Super glad he is on our list for 2013.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Ledger is a great player but doesn't have the tank for AFL footy yet. Along the lines of what Watters said.
You only have to watch the GWS game. He was great when he got to the contests but at times looked shattered trying to make the third or forth contest.
I'm hoping this preseason will help and he will be the next biggest clearance player at the Saints!!
Super glad he is on our list for 2013.

I still think he will make it but mids take time to build up to taking a regular gig. Armo and Steven are only just regulars now and both were there pretty much when Ross Lyon arrived. Ledger isn't a great user yet but does get heaps of it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ledger. He found the ball easily in his first senior outings. He is a prime mover in the VFL seniors in his second senior year and has a crack. IMO he has shown plenty.

He need to be more composed, but no more than Jack S.
Prime mover for Sandy? You must be wearing rose coloured glasses, he's shown he can get it and cough it up just as quickly. Needs to learn to play as part of a team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

think he has genuine talent and is a natural footballer, but I like the club using a contract term to motivate a player, this is how free agency can work against players; shorter contracts and more imports

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

simon.r wrote:Does'nt surprise me with Ledger.He is homesick,still.Winmar is getting smashed on the track for what is his last chance at St Kilda.Here's hoping they're glad they did'nt!!
where did you hear he is homesick ?? from what i hear he is loving melbourne and settleing in nicely ... or is this just a standard responce to a non Victorian boy playing at the saints ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

why would Ledger re-sign if he was homesick?
btw i reckon he has more ability than Cripps

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

reminds me alot of joey, needs to work harder on his fitness to get to more contests and impact them more. Happy if he works himself into the team as a future replacement for lenny

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Like the way Ledger has a go and finds the ball, but major concern on how he uses it - always seems in a panic. Not unilke CJ in many respects. I honelstly think if he cant improve his ball use they will cut him after next season.

Seems like we are back focusing on good ball users rather than guys who get a lot of it but just bang it forward hoping for the best. Would explain why CJ, Ledger and Ray to some degree found themselves out of favour later in the season, and why the club had no problem in chopping Raph,Peake & Polo.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Like the way Ledger has a go and finds the ball, but major concern on how he uses it - always seems in a panic. Not unilke CJ in many respects. I honelstly think if he cant improve his ball use they will cut him after next season.

Seems like we are back focusing on good ball users rather than guys who get a lot of it but just bang it forward hoping for the best. Would explain why CJ, Ledger and Ray to some degree found themselves out of favour later in the season, and why the club had no problem in chopping Raph,Peake & Polo.
The difference between Ledger and Jones' kicking is that Ledger can kick beautifully when he makes the right decision and backs himself. There's no great issue with his technique and I'm sure his skills in training are fine. But he does tend to panic and overthink the situation at times under pressure.

I think the fix to this is really just experience and maturity, which will come with senior games and time. Ledger will never have great disposal efficiency stats because he wins so many contested possessions and he takes risks. But with 20-30 senior games under his belt I'd have no concern over his disposal - he's a much, much better kick than Steven or Gilbert.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Like the way Ledger has a go and finds the ball, but major concern on how he uses it - always seems in a panic. Not unilke CJ in many respects. I honelstly think if he cant improve his ball use they will cut him after next season.

Massive differance between the kicking skills of someone like Jones compared to Ledger. Jones gets it in good spots creates space between himself and his opponent but has a poor technique when kicking. Ledger on the other hand has a very solid technique but he has to learn to take his first option and release the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think Ledgers failings will come better as he settles down into the game more
as mentioned he does know how to get the bal and he does have good footskills but he seems to be a bit overawed by the big game and has a bit of panic set in .. long term its something that experiance will bring more confidence and we will see a big improvment ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evo
Club Player

He will come out of contract the same time as Brown ! Probably get a few showcase games to prove his worth but some of the other kids are ahead of him. I think he sees himself as better than he is in reality. Having said that I hope I am wrong about the kid and he becomes a star for us.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Agreed StG.

I like 'em both. Both seem to need a bit more confidence when playing big league... I'm confident that will come, though our recruiting may make it harder for Wilkesy to get many games barring injuries(?)

Also StG, big congratulations on getting the post thread title correct. :idea: I reckon you must be close to the only one ever who's put up one of these threads... without making me read that the bloke/s mentioned have walked-out on us. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: