The under 25's XXV - The future ins't so frightening...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The under 25's XXV - The future ins't so frightening...

Eddy was delisted after the GF... clearly the sign of a champion player that deserved his spot.

Why are you so adamanet RL can do no wrong?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:The Cats were fresh, fit and strategically rested and Varcoe's, Chapman's and Ablett's run in the second half of the GF proved too much for us.
We needed runners and forward 50 marks - and of course we had Riewoldt who was limping up forward.
Poise/smoise -where was our run in the second half ? - there are two halves in football !

You make your own luck - and RL wasn't strategic or smart enough and the Cat's coach was.
Full Stop.

The Cats had a strategy to win the GF - we didn't. RL was out-generaled.
Strange that this brilliant tactic hasn't caught on. I didn't see the Swans strategically resting players this year.

It didn't seem to have an impact on the Pies in 2010 either. Swan, Pendlebury, Jolley, Thomas were all playing their 26th game of the season.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Eddy was delisted after the GF... clearly the sign of a champion player that deserved his spot.

Why are you so adamanet RL can do no wrong?

I have never said that so why did you say I did. In hindsight he made mistakes and I reckon the pies and Geelong did to but they won. The problem is the game is never about hindsight. Eddy was a role player. After we lost in 2010 RL obviously saw his role not being as important in the next year. That can happen. Rl may even say it was a mistake playing Eddy in the GF but the problem was a replacement wouldnt have played for 4 weeks. I still await all your posts that say playing Eddy was a mistake.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So do you think playing Eddy in the 2010 GF was a mistake?

I don't understand why you keep harping on about hindsight
Truth be told, I'm less critical of Eddy's selection than that of the others I mentioned in my previous post... esp McQualter and Dempster. I posted a lot about Mini in 2010. He went from being a good player in 09 to a largely ineffective one

I never said that RL was a dud coach or that we didn't have an excellent team or lacked excellent players.

in 2010 though, I really felt we had way too many pedestrians and relied far too much on Roo, Lenny, Dal, Goddard and Monty to win. Do you agree with that

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who was his replacement??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What's this about hindsight??

If we were critical at the time, some posters went beserk and refused to allow such disloyal opinions.... Now not allowed hindsight???

When exactly can we say the club has mad the odd mistake??

1 flag and 26 spoons
I reckon there has been a few blunders

2009/10 were missed opportunities.... Some mistakes contributed

Yaysaints
Club Player

I think another reason we didn't win those premierships apart from poor kicking was that our lockdown style stressed possession too much. Especially when playing the pies in the prelim And cats in the granny we should have stopped kicking the ball around in circles and tried to score. When the inevitable happened and our opposition had. Period with the upper hand they easily chased our score down. We were by far the better team on both those days but hesitated to crush them when we should have.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:I think another reason we didn't win those premierships apart from poor kicking was that our lockdown style stressed possession too much. Especially when playing the pies in the prelim And cats in the granny we should have stopped kicking the ball around in circles and tried to score. When the inevitable happened and our opposition had. Period with the upper hand they easily chased our score down. We were by far the better team on both those days but hesitated to crush them when we should have.
We lost .....and right now we are nowhere near it

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What's this about hindsight??

If we were critical at the time, some posters went beserk and refused to allow such disloyal opinions.... Now not allowed hindsight???

Of course you can, but you just look like a reactionary tosser thats all.

If you like looking like that - fine, hindsight away.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Crazy how we always end up talking about lost GF's

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What if some of those reactions turn into fruition Joffa??

No comment then?!

Easy to shoot people down, but choking on pie isn't as much fun is it??

Hindsight my arse!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:So do you think playing Eddy in the 2010 GF was a mistake?

I don't understand why you keep harping on about hindsight
Truth be told, I'm less critical of Eddy's selection than that of the others I mentioned in my previous post... esp McQualter and Dempster. I posted a lot about Mini in 2010. He went from being a good player in 09 to a largely ineffective one

I never said that RL was a dud coach or that we didn't have an excellent team or lacked excellent players.

in 2010 though, I really felt we had way too many pedestrians and relied far too much on Roo, Lenny, Dal, Goddard and Monty to win. Do you agree with that

We relied on out top end more than other teams but Roo was out for about half the year and Dal was injured towards the end of the year. It would have helped if he played well in the Gf and we probably would have won.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Completely agree with all of that St. Pav

What irritated going in to the 2010 finals was that it seemed to me fairly obvious that we wouldnt get much out of Mini, Jones, Demps and Gram who had all contributed very little for a sustained period.

The GF = a draw following 2 Herculean efforts by Hayes and Goddard and SFA from the players listed above which seemed predictable. A bloody draw with 4 pedestrians. All it would have taken was for 1 promising kid to develop a bit an play ok instead of the nothing we and we'd have a flag.
And before anyone points it out... yes I'm aware that that last sentence is not fact and unproveable ----- guess it's still pain talking. I really feel like we squandered it though

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Crazy how we always end up talking about lost GF's
That's nearly all we've got, apart from working out why we lost em and how we could have won em......if only

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here are bullies.

Surely people can express whatever they want without being made to feel cornered?

Allow me to channel Barks and say 'fair dinkum'

In regards to the 2009 GF, looking forward to reading Luke Balls book and would of played Gwilt over King, and agreed with Max not playing over Dawson (purely in case of a ping) and still think people are harsh on on the missed gimme goals purely because that's part of the package and part of their flaws.

In regards to the 2010 GF, wouldn't of played Bakes (and was critical of him all year, would only ever turn around and kick backwards) after he missed so much footy and played one of the three emergencies instead (all were viable options) and certainly would of freshened up the team in GF2 and certainly wouldn't of played Eddy with all his injuries.

Regards Sainter 'revisionist' K

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Some people on here are bullies.

Surely people can express whatever they want without being made to feel cornered?

In regards to the 2009 GF, looking forward to reading Luke Balls book and would of played Gwilt over King, and agreed with Max not playing over Dawson (purely in case of a ping) and still think people are harsh on on the missed gimme goals purely because that's part of the package and part of their flaws.

In regards to the 2010 GF, wouldn't of played Bakes (and was critical of him all year, would only ever turn around and kick backwards) after he missed so much footy and played one of the three emergencies instead (all were viable options) and certainly would of freshened up the team in GF2 and certainly wouldn't of played Eddy with all his injuries.

What injury did Eddy have before the game? And you do realise our emergencies hadnt played for 5 weeks by the time the second GF was on. You can bet if he played all or some of them the hindsighters would say why play guys who have missed 5 weeks. I still say that you saying all that is fine if you said that before both games. Saying it after just means it is hindsight which i reckon if every coach who lost a GF had may have changed the result. Pity that is impossible though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What injury did Eddy have before the game? And you do realise our emergencies hadnt played for 5 weeks by the time the second GF was on. You can bet if he played all or some of them the hindsighters would say why play guys who have missed 5 weeks. I still say that you saying all that is fine if you said that before both games. Saying it after just means it is hindsight which i reckon if every coach who lost a GF had may have changed the result. Pity that is impossible though.
First, there was the broken bone in his hand in the Round 20 clash with North Melbourne. He had an operation and wore a glove for the rest of the season.
Then there was the broken jaw suffered in the preliminary final against the Western Bulldogs after a collision with Daniel Cross. He lost a tooth, had to drink only protein shakes for almost a week, but still got to play in the drawn Grand Final

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/robe ... z2BWG0EQCO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

First, there was the broken bone in his hand in the Round 20 clash with North Melbourne. He had an operation and wore a glove for the rest of the season.
Then there was the broken jaw suffered in the preliminary final against the Western Bulldogs after a collision with Daniel Cross. He lost a tooth, had to drink only protein shakes for almost a week, but still got to play in the drawn Grand Final

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/robe ... z2BWG0EQCO

Well I am guessing the doctor oassed him fit and I am guessing he knows more than both of us.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Or he didn't disclose the extent of the discomfort the injury caused to the doctor in fear of missing a GF??!!

And
If NDS hadn't played for a month and was fully fit for a GF.... Would he be picked??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Or he didn't disclose the extent of the discomfort the injury caused to the doctor in fear of missing a GF??!!

And
If NDS hadn't played for a month and was fully fit for a GF.... Would he be picked??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well you asked...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Or he didn't disclose the extent of the discomfort the injury caused to the doctor in fear of missing a GF??!!

And

Are they serious questions because a 10 year old would come up with better than that. If he didnt disclose then how would anyone know. As for Dal please tell me you are joking comparing Dal to our emergencies. I do wonder about your knowledge of the games sometimes. And I gather you were asking me the questions as you seem to arrogant to quote.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well you asked...

No fair enough response. I forgot all that but like I said the doctor surely has the final say. Well you would hope they do.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Well you asked...

No fair enough response. I forgot all that but like I said the doctor surely has the final say. Well you would hope they do.
I reckon Ross rated defensive forwards pretty high, he played on Nick Maxwell both games...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

yeah the doctor passed him fit and he did SFA... then he got delisted... couldn't possibly be a bad decision... he's a doctor after all

like I said in the Inside the Bubble thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78632