"The Bubble" by David Misson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: "The Bubble" by David Misson

sunsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:thought it was a fascinating read myself, full of good insights... granted I read it over a year ago.

<snip>
Contrary to what many of his critics say, I don't believe a lack of loyalty contributed to his decision to leave.

What's also very interesting is the long held belief about RL's value on work rate. It's very easy to see why Lenny and Roo are the spiritual leaders of the club esp Lenny, as they are clearly the only 2 players at the club who's focus on their own preparation and work rate can be described as 100% meticulous. This is a big deal for RL and clearly a non-negitionable.
So much so that the book is fully of instances where team selections often came down to a player not 100% (which is not an unusual thng in AFL circles I'm led to believe) and a full fit player who is not as... dedicated and team selections predominantly favor the not 100% player. I'll apologise in advance as I can't recall examples having read this over 1.5 years ago.

<snip>
The business with Ball was very interesting. It seems clear to me that internally he wasn't rated highly and that there was a belief that he was not capable of sustaining the workload required play at the standard that they wanted. My view has been all along that the coaching team wanted him to leave and I feel ITB suggested that too.
I will take your word on the book, one day I will get round to reading myself, but do you really think the book exposes Lyons' loyalty philosphy?
agreed he showed extreme (and argueably over zealous) favouritism to "his" players, but I just could never get a handle on his criteria
He outed THE best prepared player the club has seen in harvey, & everyone that played with him used Harvey as the yard stick.
I will argue he had at least one more year in him, and if kept I doubt if RL would even have contemplated Cousins.
But Harvey was old guard, and for RL to truly take-over he had to go.
Next people will always point the finger at GT for ruining Kosi's career by using him in the ruck, I would also maintain that RL smashed him into the round playing a guy constantly injured. SO yeah he would play an injured player, and maybe he was too old school, not coming to grips with the increased level of performance required in the game, and higher bench rotations => which leads to the Ball situation
I agree the coaching staff were "exiting" Ball, slowly on their own terms. And as Malthouse said, playing hardball with a back up reserves plalyer didnt make sense
But for me, the nail in coffin trying to work out RL's loyalty code came when he went behind the backs of his own management team and negotiated with Freo. Yes he is fully entitled to do so, but he was screwed two organisations at the same time.
Ross isint coach anymore, dont have to carry on about absolute crap that isint true. Everything you just said is a joke. Pin everything on Ross, Makes Sense. Absolute joke. ABSOLUTE f****** JOKE

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

umm IIRC

he didn't say anything unpleasant about RL but I thought it was note worthy that he spoke very glowingly of GT and stated that the GT reign was clearly the last best shot he had at a premiership.

Granted he only played two seasons under RL but I guess it was what he didn't say about RL that i found telling

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Clarky,

That post was my interpretation of what i read in the book in question. And it's clearly an opinion.

Why get so defensive? What are these mistruths that I've said? Have you even read the book? Some of those things are clearly documented.

If you would like challenge what I've written, I would love to hear your thoughts and discuss them with you. If not, or if you're unable to use big boy words, please stop posting

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea what im doing please i apologies

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
FQF
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote: Ross isint coach anymore, dont have to carry on about absolute crap that isint true. Everything you just said is a joke. Pin everything on Ross, Makes Sense. Absolute joke. ABSOLUTE f****** JOKE
These are the words of a truly unbiased, rational and levelheaded contributed. Good on ya mate.

St Lenny
Club Player

I enjoyed at the time it was written, but I threw it out earlier this ear. He is gone, RL gone, its all in the past. Had RL left under different conditions, I would have hung onto it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I enjoyed at the time it was written, but I threw it out earlier this ear. He is gone, RL gone, its all in the past. Had RL left under different conditions, I would have hung onto it.

Never read about Plugger and Harvs?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RL's retiring of Harvs stank. Not sure if Harvs playing on in 2009 would've won us the flag but we will never know now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:RL's retiring of Harvs stank. Not sure if Harvs playing on in 2009 would've won us the flag but we will never know now.

He was about 37 years old. Not sure he needed to play another year.