Vale Alan Stretton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Born in Moorabbin
Club Player

Vale Alan Stretton

Major-General Alan Stretton was well known for being in charge of the clean-up in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey, but he played for St Kilda in the late 40s, and remained a passionate Sainter. He lived in Bateman's Bay NSW, and always travelled to Canberra for matches at Manuka and any Saints supporters get-togethers. He used to tell the story about how he played ferociously on Jack Dyer in his first game and they nearly killed each other! Alan was 90 and he passed away a few days ago. His funeral is in Canberra today, Friday 2/11. A fine Australian soldier, but also a wonderful Sainter!!!!

Allwewantisaflag
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Vale Alan Stretton

Born in Moorabbin wrote:Major-General Alan Stretton was well known for being in charge of the clean-up in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey, but he played for St Kilda in the late 40s, and remained a passionate Sainter. He lived in Bateman's Bay NSW, and always travelled to Canberra for matches at Manuka and any Saints supporters get-togethers. He used to tell the story about how he played ferociously on Jack Dyer in his first game and they nearly killed each other! Alan was 90 and he passed away a few days ago. His funeral is in Canberra today, Friday 2/11. A fine Australian soldier, but also a wonderful Sainter!!!!

sat next to him at a grandfinal once......very nice man......also famous for having a league record number of goals kicked against him.....rip mate....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

RIP

SunburySaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Born in Moorabbin wrote:Major-General Alan Stretton was well known for being in charge of the clean-up in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey, but he played for St Kilda in the late 40s, and remained a passionate Sainter. He lived in Bateman's Bay NSW, and always travelled to Canberra for matches at Manuka and any Saints supporters get-togethers. He used to tell the story about how he played ferociously on Jack Dyer in his first game and they nearly killed each other! Alan was 90 and he passed away a few days ago. His funeral is in Canberra today, Friday 2/11. A fine Australian soldier, but also a wonderful Sainter!!!!

sat next to him at a grandfinal once......very nice man......also famous for having a league record number of goals kicked against him.....rip mate....
read an article where he stated that he wasnt playing that day, although earlier in the season he had 10 kicked on him by the same player.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

“When I started Reg Garvin and Roy Fountain were still playing. I wasn’t a speedster but I looked better next to them!”
One thing that didn’t bring a smile to his face was the suggestion a few years ago that he had been the full-back on the end of Fred Fanning’s all time record of 18 goals in a game.

In truth Stretton had not even played that day - Allan Stretton had played against him earlier in the year when he kicked 10 goals.

“The next time he kicked 18. I reckon that showed what a good backman I was,” he laughed.

Now lives in Geelong...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:
stinger wrote:

read an article where he stated that he wasnt playing that day, although earlier in the season he had 10 kicked on him by the same player.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

“When I started Reg Garvin and Roy Fountain were still playing. I wasn’t a speedster but I looked better next to them!”
One thing that didn’t bring a smile to his face was the suggestion a few years ago that he had been the full-back on the end of Fred Fanning’s all time record of 18 goals in a game.

In truth Stretton had not even played that day - Allan Stretton had played against him earlier in the year when he kicked 10 goals.

“The next time he kicked 18. I reckon that showed what a good backman I was,” he laughed.
not so sure about that......i'll ask his son greg next time i see him....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.