Rumour is Jason Gram has been sacked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rumour is Jason Gram has been sacked

dcstkfc wrote:Had a look and it turns out he was voted our best player in the POTY count in his final two games for the club
He was in very good form latter half of the year.

All is not lost when it comes to Jason playing football.

He just needs to get himself well, and there will surely be clubs interested in taking him.

A new focus, starting again, busy proving himself...could be just the things to focus his mind.

I have to agree with someone who mentioned that at least we weren't sneaky about it in a Hawks - Nathan Thompson/Jonathan Hay kind of way, could of easily traded him and hid his issues if his best interests weren't utmost.

Jason needs to make Jason his focus for now.

simon.r
Club Player

Re-arranging Daniel Archers teeth mid-way through last year while on the piss would'nt have helped his cause either.....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

This decision has obviously brought some mixed reactions from supporters; the majority of who appear to support the club’s stance and a few who think they’ve done the wrong thing in sacking Gram. And no doubt there’s a few who support the decision purely because they don’t really like the player involved.

Reality is that unless we are employed by the St Kilda Football Club in some official capacity, or personally know Jason, we are unaware of the full circumstances of what has unfolded. As such, I can only base my opinion on what has surfaced and what appears to be factual. On that point:

+ It seems that this issue has been around for almost 2 months
+ It appears as though the Club has assisted Gram
+ It appears that Gram was advised that continued behaviour of this type would put his future at risk.

I believe the club has attempted to resolve this matter quietly however that has failed and now other events have transpired that have forced the club’s hand:

+ Gram has breeched a Court Order.
+ Gram has been arrested
+ Gram will face Court on charges.

Jason’s recent actions, not the club’s, have now brought the media into this.

IMO the only option given all of this was to terminate the contract. While Jason’s actions may not have involved violence, and therefore to some may not appear to be that serious, the club would face huge issues if they continued to support him. I don’t know what lead to the Order being sought in the first instance however I know that there is a bit of work involved and they are not granted easily by the Courts. So an assumption can be made that the victim showed good cause for seeking same.

Given what has happened in recent times involving Saints players and females, Gram’s indiscretions left little room for the club to move. Social media was full of negative commentary last night and I know that people in my office, once they became aware of the breaking news, made an instant connection between our club and the rolling of their eyes.

This club does not need another scandal; particularly one involving lack of respect to women. It does not need more articles by Caroline Wilson, Sam Lane or Christie Malthouse in the sports pages. Nor does it need more articles by Catherine Deveny, Jill Singer or Susie O’Brien in the general media.

Many bemoan the fact that our beautiful jumper carries the word “Centrebet” on the back however in many ways that was forced upon us by the previous damaging of our brand. And I don’t want to see the day when the only companies prepared to sponsor our club are “The Daily Planet” or “Sexyland”.

Finally, some have suggested that the Saints have used this incident to their advantage in ridding the club of a high earning player who was not really required. That could be so. Arguments have previously been made in regards to Goodard and the club’s refusal to match the Bombers offer or to even offer a fourth year. Was that also a convenience to allow salary cap room and obtain new blood? Once again this could be so. But I have no proof of either and I’m not the cynical type so I’m not going to form that opinion and try to convince others.

Look, I like Jason Gram and I wish him all the best for his future whatever it holds.

But I do support the club on this. And despite what one or two posters may think, that is not blind support. The Saints are simply the only party I can support here on what I know and what I’m ever likely to know.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Wish you well Grammy. Very sad for all parties involved in this matter (club, player and ex). No winners here.

Hope you can get a second chance interstate. Might be just what you need.....

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mickbag1959

Good luck Jason, whatever happens.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

hope he gets the help he needs....
but we cant have this on a stkilda list...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Good post Dr Spaceman.

I am in the minority and believe the club was wrong to sack Gram when it did.

The timing in my opinion was appalling and will further add to the problems that Gram is experiencing.

Let me again re-iterate. I am wholly against the alleged behaviour of gram. Stalking of women is a real problem in our society and ask any woman who has been a victim of this and they will tell you what a nightmare it is even if the actions are non violent.

I really think the club has a duty of care. So will argue that the club is doing all they can. I would argue sacking the player is not.

As for the supporters. On this site I have seen a marked change of mood from last night to now. Last night many were very anti Gram and pro club, seems like amny have slept on it and realise that gram is a human being and not just a commodity to be discarded at a whim.

i was also bemused at some of the same posters double standards when it came to loyalty of a player (bj in case) to club and supporters, and vica versa (Gram) seems like to many the loyalty is one way.

Well Gram is no longer a Saints player. I hope he gets his act together for the remainder of his life after football.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Well Gram is no longer a Saints player. I hope he gets his act together for the remainder of his life after football.
Agree it's the most important thing right now....

Have you considered that having it taken away may help him confront his issues?

Football isn't a crutch, or a means to getting well.

When it has been treated as such in the past, I can only think of it failing. It perhaps provides a distraction, but it's not the cure.

I can only repeat, that we know of...a club imposed suspension in 2009, another infamous binge drinking event in late 2010, even before this years incidents. You just can't say this is isolated and infrequent, and you can't say that evidence points to him while having football...as showing a marked improvement with his issues.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 5715997529

I still think he has paid for his own track record, not the club as a whole.

I have no reason to think that the club has discarded him, in fact they are saying the complete opposite...until we are given reason to suggest otherwise, I certainly can't see why Scotts track record in being very motivated in helping young men has suddenly diminished.

saint6709
Club Player

simon.r wrote:Re-arranging Daniel Archers teeth mid-way through last year while on the piss would'nt have helped his cause either.....

I haven't heard this - what happened??

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
simon.r wrote:Re-arranging Daniel Archers teeth mid-way through last year while on the piss would'nt have helped his cause either.....

Sounds like BS to me.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Sounds like BS to me.
Nope.... has been multiple times his 'Arrogant' Personality has had this happen to him

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote: Nope.... has been multiple times his 'Arrogant' Personality has had this happen to him
Well, the club did well to hush this up if true.

And if he did in fact rough up a rookie player to the extent of "re-arranging teeth", then, IMO, good riddance to him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saints43
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Well, the club did well to hush this up if true.

And if he did in fact rough up a rookie player to the extent of "re-arranging teeth", then, IMO, good riddance to him.
If Gram re-arranged my teeth I'd hush it up myself. Same as if a kid kicked sand in my face at the beach.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ALFPA can go f*** themselves!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:ALFPA can go f*** themselves!
That would certainly make the front page and take the pressure off us :P

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why?

Hilarious sig by the way.

Joffa is correct. The same moronic posters who wouldn't have one compassionate bone in their bodies. Heaven forbid if they were to experience a bit of misfortune themselves.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints43
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Heaven forbid if they were to experience a bit of misfortune themselves.
Yeah, breaking up with a partner would be something almost none of us who aren't AFL players could understand.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can someone shed some light on the Daniel Archer teeth incident please?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Why?

Joffa is correct. The same moronic posters who wouldn't have one compassionate bone in their bodies. Heaven forbid if they were to experience a bit of misfortune themselves.
Because they stick those noses in where it's not wanted.

They were fully aware of his repeated transgressions with the club, so why the surprise by them. It's not as if he can't nominate for the draft.

The problem with footballers is that sometimes they mistake their brains for their arse.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Why?

Because they stick those noses in where it's not wanted.

They were fully aware of his repeated transgressions with the club, so why the surprise by them. It's not as if he can't nominate for the draft.

I am not a union man at all but it is a players union basically. Of course they should protect the players. It will funny when the association wants to pat the Saints on the back. You will be saying what a good jon they are doing.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Fasir dinkum, listen to the bleeding hearts on here. His missus gave him the arse. Boohoo. More than one third of all marriages in this country end in divorce. Man up and get on with it. He's a grown man for gods sake. Seriously, "Ohh the club REALLY need to support him" - why? He's an employee, a very handsomely rewarded employee, and beyond the care and compassion extended by normal human beings, the club is not there to be an outreach centre. I am sure he is receiving, and has recieved, far more free professional support than the average punter. As someone else pointed out, he can always do the same as everyone else, and go arange some counselling himself, the same as you or I would be expected to do...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
rexy
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote:Fasir dinkum, listen to the bleeding hearts on here. His missus gave him the arse. Boohoo. More than one third of all marriages in this country end in divorce. Man up and get on with it. He's a grown man for gods sake. Seriously, "Ohh the club REALLY need to support him" - why? He's an employee, a very handsomely rewarded employee, and beyond the care and compassion extended by normal human beings, the club is not there to be an outreach centre. I am sure he is receiving, and has recieved, far more free professional support than the average punter. As someone else pointed out, he can always do the same as everyone else, and go arange some counselling himself, the same as you or I would be expected to do...
This is all true!

Made me wonder though, could my employer sack me if I had an issue like this outside of work?

Don't know, better pull out the contract if I'm ever gonna lose my s***!

Maybe this year?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:He's an employee, a very handsomely rewarded employee, and beyond the care and compassion extended by normal human beings, the club is not there to be an outreach centre. I am sure he is receiving, and has recieved, far more free professional support than the average punter.
If the club's going to sack him for personal problems which don't affect his work, then they have a responsibility to give him help in dealing with those personal problems.

The average punter is completely different. Your work isn't going to care if you get convicted of stalking because it won't be front page news in the Herald Sun and reflect badly on their brand. Gram's employer, on the other hand, cares about that very much. So it works differently.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Found it interesting that the HS could only report the 'AFLPA Anger"
and not the more moderate reporting of the Age or others.
when in fact
yes the AFLPA are Mondful of the players rights with regards payment and contract- as is their role
they have infact been kept informed all along- early reports said Jason had been instructed to attend sessions with AFLPA personel
The club revealed it had been working with Gram for months, attempting to ensure his behaviour reflected its values and said it was helping him with his personal welfare.

"Obviously, we are disappointed to terminate Jason's playing contract with the Saints but unfortunately he has failed to meet the values shared across the St Kilda Football Club," St Kilda head of football Chris Pelchen told Saints.com.au.

The AFL has backed St Kilda's decision.

"The club has kept the AFL informed and we are supportive of their actions, including their efforts to support all parties involved," a League spokesperson said.

But the AFL Players' Association insists St Kilda still has a financial obligation towards Gram.

"We understand a club's right to delist a player. However, while not understating the seriousness of the alleged conduct, the Players Association does not believe these matters remove the club from its contractual obligations," AFLPA player relations general manager Ian Prendergast said.

Prendergast said the association had been kept informed through the process.

"The Players' Association will now focus on working with Jason and his management, on a confidential basis, in relation to settling the outstanding obligations for the final year of his contract."

The AFLPA said it was making its 'wellbeing services' available to Gram.

Gram's agent Tom Petroro told AFL.com.au he had no comment to make on the termination.
media outlets today saying- no comment can be made around legal proceedings- and then One actually names and puts photos up of jasons former girlfriend- yes I know they are easily found But where does naming and showing fit in..to " legal proceedings"

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend