Trent Dennis - Lane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trent Dennis - Lane

Yaysaints wrote:That has to be the most blah highlights package I have seen. I gave up after hearing that tdl was inconsistent and in and out of the team and there for depth. On a wafl team.
I think they were referring to the previous year. If that was 2009, he was only 20 and the comments referred to when he was 19.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint6709
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:That has to be the most blah highlights package I have seen. I gave up after hearing that tdl was inconsistent and in and out of the team and there for depth. On a wafl team.
I think they were referring to the previous year. If that was 2009, he was only 20 and the comments referred to when he was 19.
Well the highlights package V Carlton in 2010 - he pretty well won the game for the swans - looked very good plays tall for a small guy -- can he develop a tank in the next 6 months and become a midfielder ??

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Well the highlights package V Carlton in 2010 - he pretty well won the game for the swans - looked very good plays tall for a small guy -- can he develop a tank in the next 6 months and become a midfielder ??
He's 24, had 3 years at AFL level already... I doubt the swans were keeping him unfit. I know we'd love a silver-lining here but this guy averages less touches than cripps, doesn't win his own footy & will never be a midfielder at AFL level.
Next year he will be our 5th rung, small forward. Wonder how many years Scotty has signed him up for?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The thing I like about TDL is that when I hear "Dennis-Lane" I think of "Dennis Lillee".

I know TDL will be nowhere near the AFL equivalent of the great fast bowler but at least it's a positive name link similarity thingy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
noob
Club Player

hopefully he will be the great fast goal kicker

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the reason why he hasn't made a mark is because he has a dicky kick.

Dicky Dennis-Lane

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
PJ
SS Life Member

We'll more than likely be playing 3 talls next year so the more speed at the drop of the ball the better.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
damienc
Club Player

Give the guy a break. The ink is barely dry on the contract and you are already dismissing him as a no talent. Watters coached this guy, knows him and obviously rates him. He also knows how to get the best out of him clearly because TDL was a star when he played for Watters in the WAFL. The Swans didn't give him opportunity. If you read about this guy he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. So to all of the knockers, naysayers and negative nellies......back off and chill out and let him show you what he can do.

mohannair
Club Player

We all had the same opinion about Dempster & Schiends when we got them cheap from the Swans. The thing abt. Swans players are the cluture they bring along, they are hard workers & honest.

Dempster may well be the Captain of our club next year after having achieved so many things in the last couple of years.

In a couple of years we will be singing TDL's great work ethic.

Saints43
Club Player

mohannair wrote:We all had the same opinion about Dempster & Schiends when we got them cheap from the Swans. The thing abt. Swans players are the cluture they bring along, they are hard workers & honest.

Dempster may well be the Captain of our club next year after having achieved so many things in the last couple of years.

Schneider didn't come cheap. In either the draft pick or salary sense.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Perfect replacement for Raph. Will become the new whipping boy. It will be a seamless transition.

Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
mohannair wrote:We all had the same opinion about Dempster & Schiends when we got them cheap from the Swans. The thing abt. Swans players are the cluture they bring along, they are hard workers & honest.

Plus they came with 150 games + 2 premierships, and filled holes in our list. Completely different to scotties mate.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Is his nickname "the address"?
when he kicks a goal perhaps the cheer squad can sing to the tune of the beatles ; penny lane .

" dennis-lane , is in my ears and in my eyes ."

may be better than hearing kosi kosi kosi oi oi oi :roll:
very cute

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Perfect replacement for Raph. Will become the new whipping boy. It will be a seamless transition.
I think it has been seamless...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
8856brother wrote:Perfect replacement for Raph. Will become the new whipping boy. It will be a seamless transition.
Unfortunately he doesn't get on the park as much as Raph.

jays
Club Player

not a bad pick up imo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
I don't have any idea on the salary.

However getting the two of them for a pick in the twenties was at the time a good value pick up. Schneider was worth that selection alone as a fair trade.

In hindsight it has been one of our best value trades ever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

St Ick wrote:
Gold times two! :lol: :lol:

Ruck stocks, key positions forwards, key position defenders, whipping boys... that's three outta' the four looming gaps in our list addressed.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

At pick 47.....which with our first four picks all being early forties and less....I regard TDL as a speculative pick.

Thinking could well be that one of Milera or TDL to make it, as both are quite similar. Cripps was also in the running for the this outside pacey position, so TDL is also a replacement for the position that Cripp s MAY have filled. Though Cripps was no certainty.

His recruitment is a further sign that they want more pace in the team.

However taking TDL makes it very interesting now as to whom else will be delisted and which rookies will be promoted. There are not enough obvious spots at present. So either players like Dunnell will not be promoted, or there will be a surprise delisting, and in particular now that Blake has been confirmed for another year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The thing I like about TDL is that when I hear "Dennis-Lane" I think of "Dennis Lillee".

I know TDL will be nowhere near the AFL equivalent of the great fast bowler but at least it's a positive name link similarity thingy.

I think of Don Lane the scatological obsessive TV host from the olden days- I hope Trent goes so well he does a Don on all the naysayers metaphoric coffee tables.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
I think of Don Lane the scatological obsessive TV host from the olden days- I hope Trent goes so well he does a Don on all the naysayers metaphoric coffee tables.
As long as you know what you meant by that, that's all that counts...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
busso mick
Club Player

gringo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:The thing I like about TDL is that when I hear "Dennis-Lane" I think of "Dennis Lillee".

The musician Denny Laine springs to mind for me - maybe we should play him out on the Wings

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The one thing that keeps me optimistic that he could be a very good player for us is the argument that the swans weren't really using him properly, whereas Scotty will.

Think Joey Montagna. Under GT he was used only sparingly and would never have amounted to anything more than a bit player, in fact GT publicly called him a "bit player" when he started playing a central midfielders role under RL, but look how it turned out.

I'm hoping SW knows how to use TDL to show us all he's really a very good player who hasn't been allowed to flourish.

Pretty much the same thing goes for Hickey too, really, though the bar is being set somewhat higher...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

A nephew of one of my mates plays at an AFL club and has never got a game in the midfield where he was a gun junior. at VFL level the club just tells him he needs to go where the VFL coach wants him, often as a back pocket or defensive forward role and is struggling. He is hating his footy and really unhappy and doesn't look like he will make the cut.

Not every player gets to show what made them elite at junior level. Plenty are in the same boat but the more resilient and adaptable get to go further. He will probably end up on the footy scrap heap and it's not entirely his fault, he does what he's told and tries but doesn't get the rewards.

there are plenty like him in the system. I hope Dennis Lane gets to play his natural game and it happens to be good enough. He has clean hands, pace and good foot skills if he can get some love from our coach he might shake off the shackles of the repressive Sydney style and show how flamboyant footy is played.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

There are so many wannabe's on this site. I am surprised by Dennis-Lanes recruitment but I'll back any of the coaches over the wannabe's on this site.
FFS none of you were good enough to play AFL footy so stop bagging the guy before he's even had a chance to kick a ball. The way some of you slag players off seems to justify your pathetic existence.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!