YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

Before going off and shooting from the hip like an internet cowboy...what did we really have to work with?

Not much really

Who could we have picked up as a fullback, only Brown or Chaplin and the latter went really early on in free agency.

So we are left with Brown, with a year to go on a contract and we have to pay way, way overs for similar to BJ going to Essendon. Regardless of their thinking, they had to pay way overs for Goddard in terms of dollar value.

We would have had to pay way overs in terms of draft picks.

beartalbot
Club Player

Congrats Saintsrising on a comprehensive and realistic post on where our Club is at for 2013.
For the first time in recent years, we appear to be making selections re age group and positions to account for natural attrition of our list over the coming years.
I have every confidence in Watters and Co. making positive decisions regarding our playing list, to ensure that StKilda continues to be a competitive force in the competion.

BEAR
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Before going off and shooting from the hip like an internet cowboy...what did we really have to work with?

Not much really

Who could we have picked up as a fullback, only Brown or Chaplin and the latter went really early on in free agency.

So we are left with Brown, with a year to go on a contract and we have to pay way, way overs for similar to BJ going to Essendon. Regardless of their thinking, they had to pay way overs for Goddard in terms of dollar value.

This is spot on, all those screaming about not getting Brown or another fullback seem ingnore that Brown had a contract and the weagles are known to be difficult to deal with. I am glad we didn't pay to much to get him, like the numbers paid for goddard and will be paying for the next 4 years. We managed to fill a few gaps with Hickey and Lee, who according to the" experts " would have gone high in the draft and other clubs were after them both.
If you go on the OP thinking we should have been able to pick up Pendles as well as NicNat, oh that's right they have contracts

I love this club
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Stillwaiting wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Before going off and shooting from the hip like an internet cowboy...what did we really have to work with?

Not much really

This is spot on, all those screaming about not getting Brown or another fullback seem ingnore that Brown had a contract and the weagles are known to be difficult to deal with. I am glad we didn't pay to much to get him, like the numbers paid for goddard and will be paying for the next 4 years. We managed to fill a few gaps with Hickey and Lee, who according to the" experts " would have gone high in the draft and other clubs were after them both.
If you go on the OP thinking we should have been able to pick up Pendles as well as NicNat, oh that's right they have contracts
Are we a realistic shot at a flag?

No.

Let's save our cash for when we believe that we can actually win the thing and not just match it with a good side for a half football, but actually beat them.

I would be more than happy for our first big free agency signing to be 3 seasons away as that would mean we have thought about who we can get and where the list is at and not just getting someone for the sake of it.

Similar to Essendon with Goddard.

Can Essendon win the flag with or without Goddard?

No.

What was the point of it?

Not much really apart from getting an A-grader for the sake of it despite the list being pretty average which is further displayed by the recent finishes over the past couple of years.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
evo wrote:The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe some of our posters after this trade period.
We should trade some posters tobthe filth forum
They're not good enough for that!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Igmata
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:We are good shape. Just stop the negative. Hickey was on his way to Collingwood for pick 18

They got him we did not pay overs we improved our draft prospects give me break Terry Wallace killed Richmond's list.
Lee was going to Carlton. In the 1st round of the draft. We got him too. We did not get the one we were really after we will next year. His name is James Frawley. Just relax
I don t know about Hickey and Collingwood.
Lee wasn't going to Carlton for anything other than their second round selection in the draft at best.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Must admit, I am pretty disappointed...

Small forward instead of a FB, jeepers. We really need to find a mature age FB of any ability in the draft I think. Gilham, Pederson & Martin were all very cheap and would have been much more useful than TDL next year.
Could not agree more

TDL - WTF??

Martin for pick 50 odd would have at least given us options... we were stupid to only target Brown and now again have to rely on Blake when we know he ain't a full back

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
dragit wrote:Must admit, I am pretty disappointed...

Small forward instead of a FB, jeepers. We really need to find a mature age FB of any ability in the draft I think. Gilham, Pederson & Martin were all very cheap and would have been much more useful than TDL next year.
Could not agree more

TDL - WTF??

Martin for pick 50 odd would have at least given us options... we were stupid to only target Brown and now again have to rely on Blake when we know he ain't a full back
Martin is no good thats the problem. We would be better off loading up on players that can play at least.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
MrCordz
Club Player

Simmo2 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:wow someone is angry seems like they just joined today after the trade system...
think we did pretty well for ourselves
and will continue that fashion in the draft
Remember there is still good players available at our picks - there for we will get a backmen that we need.... somewhere..
Pretty sure it says I joined a while back....

This is what annoys me about this club. Everyone lives in a pathetic little dream world.

It's days like this I wish I followed Geelong. Even Melbourne have showed us how to do it this trade season. We're a disgrace.
I've seen the worst of the saints over my time - but I've never wished I supported someone else. Maybe you should go follow Geelong Champ. Take the good with the bad - like most clubs, some trade periods you do well - some you don't - often beyond their control dpending on what they have to offer what other teams want. A fair bit of luck is involved in trade period.

Humbly St. Kilda
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

At least Martin fills a need..... I've never seen TDL at FB

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No P66

Just got better things to do...... I check SS in my spare time, I have larger priorities..

You 'thought' I was a teacher??

Of course you know I was a classroom teacher (PE/SCI).... Your point being, because if you're going down the grammar route..
would be a bit ironic, and...it's an Internet forum...

Also, how many A Graders do we have from 23-28 next season??? Out of interest??

Anyways.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No P66

Just got better things to do...... I check SS in my spare time, I have larger priorities..

You 'thought' I was a teacher??

Of course you know I was a classroom teacher (PE/SCI).... Your point being, because if you're going down the grammar route..
would be a bit ironic, and...it's an Internet forum...

Also, how many A Graders do we have from 23-28 next season??? Out of interest??

Anyways.....

I have no interest in finding the post you are answering. Why don't you stop being an arrogant prick and quote so we can see what you are answering. I have no idea why you are asking the question or answering mine.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This thread is awesome.

You all win at the internet.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lloyd21
Club Player

Tom Lee

Tom Lee was definitely going to Carlton. Did preseason. At Fremantle last year Ross the boss wanted him rookie listed but brad lloyd wanted Lee Spurr. Fremantle. were hoping to draft him. this year. Carlton were all over it had meeting with Gws. night before stkilda trumped them in the morning. after while Carlton we're thinking about it.

lloyd21
Club Player

Tom Lee

Tom Lee was definitely going to Carlton. Did preseason. At Fremantle last year Ross the boss wanted him rookie listed but brad lloyd wanted Lee Spurr. Fremantle. were hoping to draft him. this year. Carlton were all over it had meeting with Gws. night before stkilda trumped them in the morning. after while Carlton we're thinking about it.

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Tom Lee

lloyd21 wrote:Tom Lee was definitely going to Carlton. Did preseason. At Fremantle last year Ross the boss wanted him rookie listed but brad lloyd wanted Lee Spurr. Fremantle. were hoping to draft him. this year. Carlton were all over it had meeting with Gws. night before stkilda trumped them in the morning. after while Carlton we're thinking about it.
What he said....I think.....interesting punctuation :?

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!