Trent Dennis - Lane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Trent Dennis - Lane

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:Fits the age bracket we're trying to fill. I think he deserves a spot if there is room on our list. Isn't in our best 22 IMO but there's always injuries and will definitely provide the valuable pressure for spots.

Well whats the point if you really think that. Surely we dont care about Sandringham.
Well was Cripps in our 22? Some are suggesting he is a similar player to replace him. Or if you see him as a small forward then he will have a role very shortly once Milne retires. Otherwise, Schneider is unfortunately often injured. He is a quick opportunistic player who can definitely fit into the team and provide something. Seems to be a slight upgrade from Winmar too who I can't see staying on the list too long. And if Sippos ends up playing in the back line then there is another vacancy in our forward line for a similar sized forward.
I definitely see a place for him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintTom wrote:Bit confused about this one...is he even that good? We seem to have an abundance of players in the same mould...

We are going to play 13 forwards this year. We have recruited 3 more and we already had a couple spare.
I think the idea is to play so many forwards...that no one notices that we have no FB.

We will have
FF line
CHF line
ThrdF line
C line
HB line

Ruck and mids
Interchange

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:Fits the age bracket we're trying to fill. I think he deserves a spot if there is room on our list. Isn't in our best 22 IMO but there's always injuries and will definitely provide the valuable pressure for spots.

Well whats the point if you really think that. Surely we dont care about Sandringham.
Well was Cripps in our 22? Some are suggesting he is a similar player to replace him. Or if you see him as a small forward then he will have a role very shortly once Milne retires. Otherwise, Schneider is unfortunately often injured. He is a quick opportunistic player who can definitely fit into the team and provide something. Seems to be a slight upgrade from Winmar too who I can't see staying on the list too long. And if Sippos ends up playing in the back line then there is another vacancy in our forward line for a similar sized forward.

Where does he play next year. I dont care about 2014. The guy is about 23 years old. He must be ready. Cripps is 20 years old. Winmar is HBF.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

some highlights

Nee!
FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Where does he play next year. I dont care about 2014. The guy is about 23 years old. He must be ready. Cripps is 20 years old. Winmar is HBF.
Just because he is 23 doesn't mean his has to be a straight in 22 player. Wilkes was recruited to be a back up and he was a fair bit older. We traded him for pick 47, I don't think that's so much to pay for a player who has quite the upside. I see him as a top 25 player. Not saying its a great trade but I see it as worthwhile now that its happened.

Seeing as we just got pick 41 for Cripps, DL basically can be considered as a freebie in terms of what we paid. Really don't think it's bad, as I said not anything brilliant, but not bad.

ace
Saintsational Legend

TDL is now Saint Trent Dennis-Lane
Last edited by ace on Fri 26 Oct 2012 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

better skills than Peake/Polo/Eddy/Mini combined, therefore thumbs up.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Don-Lane is now one of us so he has my fully support :)

FQF
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:

some highlights
Granted they are highlights which is never accurate, but this guy screams potential.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got him for nothing, very good kick, apparently work rate is his issue....you never know, could be a good pick up

Nee!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:
We want a completely professional, methodical & un-emotional approach…
Well no.

However you're assuming that it isn't a completely professional, methodical and un-emotioanl approach.
You'll be waiting longer than 4 years to get Sainter K to be critical of the club...
Fluffy clouds, marshmallows, cottonballs and kittens....

For the record, not impressed no big defender.

Happy?

DK27
Club Player

Found this on BIGFOOTY. Quigley wrote it and thought he should be drafted at 22 in 2009. He is usually a good judge of talent. Maybe he has just had injuries at Sydney.

PICK 22 – WEST COAST

Even if the Eagles take Jetta in the first round I still think they will look to take a small forward option here or at 23. Jetta is not a true small forward (more a goal scoring wing) and they could use someone with a bit of magic in the forward pocket who will get back and chase hard when needed. I am sure that WC fans will be groaning again with my pick (especially after reaching in the first round as well) but hey I really rate this guy and think he would suit your team down to the ground. He is a local boy and can come in and play straight away. The Eagles are a lot closer to contending than a lot of people think and their biggest need I think is some flair and TDL would offer that.

Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco, WA)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 30/08/88

Dennis-Lane is a guy who has been on teams’ radars for a couple of years and has flashed real talent before but he finally got it all together this year on a consistent basis. He finished second in the WAFL in goal kicking this year with 67 playing out of the forward pocket. He looks like a player who has worked hard to get the best out of himself and I think someone will give him a shot this year. He looks very much like the type of small forward that many teams are looking for. He has top shelf pace that he uses effectively both ways. He is not a great tackler at the moment but he does work very hard defensively and he applies a lot of pressure on opposition players in his area. On the lead he gets good separation and his hands are solid and he reads the ball in flight well to arrive at the drop to his best advantage. Importantly for AFL purposes he is also a good crumber who is very clever when the ball hits the ground. When he gets the ball he is very elusive and is difficult to get his hands on. He has a tendency to go to ground a bit but he recovers exceptionally quickly. He will go to ground one second and be up chasing the next. The thing with him as well is that he can go straight in and play next year as a mature aged recruit. He is not very heavy but he is used to playing against men. He was not invited to Camp but set the WA State Screening on fire. He managed a 2.88 in the 20m, 14.6 in the beep and 93cm off one foot (this was significantly higher than was done by anyone at Camp). A fantastic result by any standard. I really like this guy and think he should be snapped up earlier than most expect. I note that he has been given permission to train with Freo. I am not sure what this says or what affect it will have on his draft credentials. I know that he suits Brisbane’s needs down to the ground and if we reached for him in the second round I would have no trouble with it and think we did pretty well.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

DK27 wrote:...14.6 in the beep...
That needs to be emphasised. Definitely midfield level endurance if that's the case.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Megamaguire
Club Player

A big welcome and all the very best Trent on joining our club.
A lot of us are real ready for plenty of excitement for season 2013 and beyond and personally i'm hoping to see you burn up the turf at the Dome.

Hopefully you are able to take your opportunity when it presents.
Once again welcome.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Yaysaints
Club Player

Perhaps emphasise that he has spent a few years at Sydney and done nothing.

supersaints
Club Player

Could it be that Watters likes to look players in the eye?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:Perhaps emphasise that he has spent a few years at Sydney and done nothing.
Well it's not all that easy cracking into a stable premiership lineup, particularly when you have to play each week in a comp that is less than VFL level.

If Trent Denis-Lane ends up being our worst player, our depth will be pretty good.

Yaysaints
Club Player

So will give kosi a run for his money ?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Yaysaints wrote:Perhaps emphasise that he has spent a few years at Sydney and done nothing.
1.5 goals a game, sub affected. 'Nothing'.

Yaysaints
Club Player

We need more forward pockets ??

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Yaysaints wrote:We need more forward pockets ??
Forward pockets are allowed to play elsewhere. Even if TDL can't play up the ground, Milera, Schneider and Siposs all can and we needed to replace Cripps. Injuries may occur at some point and Milney won't play forever. Even if TDL only ends up being depth, we gave up 47 for him. Hardly a disaster if it doesn't work out.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:We need more forward pockets ??
Forward pockets are allowed to play elsewhere. Even if TDL can't play up the ground, Milera, Schneider and Siposs all can and we needed to replace Cripps. Injuries may occur at some point and Milney won't play forever. Even if TDL only ends up being depth, we gave up 47 for him. Hardly a disaster if it doesn't work out.
Just strange that we have room for more small forward depth when we so desperately lack KPD and ruck depth.

Milne, Schneider, Saad - starting 22
Milera, Dennis-Lane, Dunell, Minchington - depth

Fisher, Blake, Simpkin - starting 22
??? - depth

McEvoy, Hickey - starting 22
??? - depth

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like if you kick 60 goals in the WAFL you'll get drafted by the Saints

Wilkes
Lee
Dennis - Lane

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
busso mick
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Sounds like if you kick 60 goals in the WAFL you'll get drafted by the Saints

Wilkes
Lee
Dennis - Lane
Slightly wrong there Bob as Wilkes kicked 42 for Claremont in 2011 before being picked up.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
samoht wrote:We already have a similar player - as in slightly built, quick, 180cm plus player - in Milera ?
Aren't we just doubling up ?
Is there something in this? As in replacing Milera? Milera and 26 for Jacobs and 30?

....no chance :lol:
I would not be surpirsed to see Milera ask to be traded back to SA at the end of 2013 due to homesickness .. very strong family ties in Adelaiade. TDL could be insurance.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton