Draft Strategy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Draft Strategy

I don't know about you but I am totally intrigued with this off season trade palaver.

On the surface it is about as interesting as mowing the lawn but what I find really fascinating is the insight it provides into how the club movers and shakers are thinking and dealing.

Take the Hickey Trade.

Who would have thought they'd had their eye on this guy for quite a while and how highly they rate him?

It never occurred to me that it would be particularly beneficial to follow his career. Sure he played some good games and a highlights package on Youtube shows him taking eight contested marks against the filth.

But Pelchen and Watters see greatness. He's young and strong and a good tap ruckman. He also has a big tank which will be a distinct advantage if the AFL tinker with the interchange sub rule.

We will also probably get a good ten years of playing time out of him barring serious injury.

I just never thought, would have guessed or considered he warranted or was even worth, giving up a first round draft pick.

But Pelchen and Watters barely hesitated.

i say bring it on if I'm proved wrong. If he turns out to be a star I will have been right to be wrong. Maybe.

I guess you just gotta trust the Pelican. He has a great eye for talent and a track record to prove it. So the chances are very good they got it completely right on Hickey.

And as we wind down to Friday's deadline, it gets no less intriguing.

Will we finally wrench Mitch Brown from an Eagle's grasp?

I am almost certain we will get him. Cripps and a high second round pick should get the deal done. He wants to come. The Saints want him to come. WCE has no room for him and they will get nothing for him if he stays because he will walk when he is out of contract in a year's time.

Compelling reasons I would have thought.

The other rumour I am liking is Cale Hooker coming to the Saints. I am hoping it's in addition to Brown and not instead of. Hooker always gave Nick a run for his money.

Whatever happens there will be words of wisdom from Pelchen and Bains. It might be wisdom you don't necessarily agree with. But i will be hanging out to hear it.