Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

Devilhead wrote:My apologies but can someone tell me if this Hickey trade has been confirmed ie: have the papers been signed or is this all heresay???

It will be embarrassing if not- it is on most news services and the afl website. Signing tomorrow apparently.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:My apologies but can someone tell me if this Hickey trade has been confirmed ie: have the papers been signed or is this all heresay???
Paperwork hasn't been lodged yet according to AFL website.

But considering its all over saints.com.au is a done deal.

As the deal was done I assume after 5pm tonight, paperwork should occur first thing tomorrow morning.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
paddy
Club Player

its on the saints website, so pretty sure it will happen

My concern is, while we wanted Hickey, and we paid what we paid to get him, who else could we have gotten for pick 13?

andrewg
Club Player

fugazi wrote:As someone said earlier, where are our next A graders and elite players going to come from?

Our elite players are all 29 years plus....bunch of GOP's after that....keep trading our first round picks, and in a cpl of years GOP's will comprise the whole team.
Free agency has changed this outlook. Our next gun depends on how much we want to pay for him

thefatdork
Club Player

I'm OK with this.
Essentially, we have used pick 13 to "draft" a player who has a lot of potential (and shown some of it), is a bit more mature and ready to go and should have a number of years ahead.
Of course, draft picks are always a bit hit or miss - but I reckon that this deal provides a player who is less of an "unknown" compared to the 18 year old draft pick.
He fills a gap in our list too.
Go Saints!!!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
fugazi wrote:As someone said earlier, where are our next A graders and elite players going to come from?

Our elite players are all 29 years plus....bunch of GOP's after that....keep trading our first round picks, and in a cpl of years GOP's will comprise the whole team.
Free agency has changed this outlook. Our next gun depends on how much we want to pay for him

very true

saint4life
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Peake, Polo, Gamble, Gardiner etc etc. I can see why people are p1ssed off with our trades in recent years.

But tell me why you are labeling Lee & Hickey as GOPs when they're yet to play a game for us? Both are highly rated and both could have easily gone top 15 if they'd been in the Draft.

Have a look at Hickey's highlights Spacey....he pretty much says himself that he's a trier without much natural talent....he can't kick, and his contested marks are against Raph Clark (190cm?) and Cameron Woods (donut)....

Maybe Lee's got something, and no other club spotted it yet, but he himself said he expected to go 3rd round.

I think coaches, like politicians, think in 1-2 year intervals..........we need to develop the replacements for Dal, Lenny, Fisher, Monty, Goddard.......you got to use those early picks on the best talent.....not just gap fillers.

I reckon we're betwixt and between, trying to rebuild, and have a crack at a premiership..........imo, we should have kept the picks and bring in two possible A graders.

Nee!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Should we have picked up a gun 17 year old ruckman in the Draft at pick 13? Would people have been happier with that because it gives us a big buzz on Draft Day?

Everyone says big blokes take time. People say Big Ben is still years from his peak.

We need help in the ruck now. We can't afford to wait 5 years for a kid to develop.

Good move IMO. We got a kid; we got a good kid. And one who's got 2 years in the AFL system.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:its on the saints website, so pretty sure it will happen

My concern is, while we wanted Hickey, and we paid what we paid to get him, who else could we have gotten for pick 13?

The good thing is if the GC grab a gun at 13 we will all assume it's the same player we would have picked up. If 13 is good we will hear about how we swapped a gun for a cabbage for years. I hope Hickey can play, I'm sensing some blame already for us paying overs. He'd better be good...very good ..or he's the new Zac- if he doesn't have 20 hit outs and 10 goals in round one he's officially no good. I'm looking forward to victimising a whole new group of kids, Cripps ran off because he was soft and couldn't handle the whipping boy role- I knew he dogged it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:Why wouldnt Hickey be rated around Grundy.. he has 3 years on him and been in an AFL club system.

Doesnt mean he is better than Grundy in 5 years :roll:
Doesn't mean he wont be either :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
paddy wrote:its on the saints website, so pretty sure it will happen

The good thing is if the GC grab a gun at 13 we will all assume it's the same player we would have picked up. If 13 is good we will hear about how we swapped a gun for a cabbage for years. I hope Hickey can play, I'm sensing some blame already for us paying overs. He'd better be good...very good ..or he's the new Zac- if he doesn't have 20 hit outs and 10 goals in round one he's officially no good. I'm looking forward to victimising a whole new group of kids, Cripps ran off because he was soft and couldn't handle the whipping boy role- I knew he dogged it.

Agree, lets hope he's awesome and good luck to the kid....but there is some serious post rationalization in this thread.
Can I refer everyone back to the outrage of the "GC want pick 13 for Hickey" thread...and how there was universal condemnation of such an idea.....now its happened, it seems like quite a good idea actually......

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
Have a look at Hickey's highlights Spacey....he pretty much says himself that he's a trier without much natural talent....he can't kick, and his contested marks are against Raph Clark (190cm?) and Cameron Woods (donut)....

Maybe Lee's got something, and no other club spotted it yet, but he himself said he expected to go 3rd round.

I think coaches, like politicians, think in 1-2 year intervals..........we need to develop the replacements for Dal, Lenny, Fisher, Monty, Goddard.......you got to use those early picks on the best talent.....not just gap fillers.

I reckon we're betwixt and between, trying to rebuild, and have a crack at a premiership..........imo, we should have kept the picks and bring in two possible A graders.
We need to get A graders but they don't have to be from the draft. These two might be Jack Riewoldt and Dean Cox or they might be Tambling and Fiora. No guarantees but you hope we know what we are doing. I actually don't even think these guys need to be A just solid Bs and we win. The Pelchen team want to build quick and have committed to it so just have to hope they are on the money. He has always given to get so no real surprises. Hawthorns list is even rather than heaps of brilliance, that will do me.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Should we have picked up a gun 17 year old ruckman in the Draft at pick 13? Would people have been happier with that because it gives us a big buzz on Draft Day?

Everyone says big blokes take time. People say Big Ben is still years from his peak.

We need help in the ruck now. We can't afford to wait 5 years for a kid to develop.

Good move IMO. We got a kid; we got a good kid. And one who's got 2 years in the AFL system.
I would of liked to have hang on to our other pick...but chook has explained that Pies were sniffing.

That has forced our hand to pay what I personally believe is overs.

Pick 13 and 57....without the sweetner, and they hand over what they handed over.

Still, didn't want to see us go into the season without a ruckman or a defender.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Agree, lets hope he's awesome and good luck to the kid....but there is some serious post rationalization in this thread.
Can I refer everyone back to the outrage of the "GC want pick 13 for Hickey" thread...and how there was universal condemnation of such an idea.....now its happened, it seems like quite a good idea actually......

Was there a "Hickey and #26 for #13 thread"?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sainterinsydney
Club Player

I proposed pick 13 for Hickey and Toy--close, but no donut :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I not sure why some people think that if we go to the Draft with pick 13 we will automatically get a 10 year superstar. A replacement for Roo or for Lenny.

We might, or we might get a GOP or we may get a complete dud.

I'd hate to trade a pick in the top half dozen. And if truth be told I would have preferred Hickey didn't cost us 13.

But he did. And I'm not gonna beat the club up, or myself for that matter.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
fugazi wrote:

We need to get A graders but they don't have to be from the draft. These two might be Jack Riewoldt and Dean Cox or they might be Tambling and Fiora. No guarantees but you hope we know what we are doing. I actually don't even think these guys need to be A just solid Bs and we win. The Pelchen team want to build quick and have committed to it so just have to hope they are on the money. He has always given to get so no real surprises. Hawthorns list is even rather than heaps of brilliance, that will do me.
(Franklin, Rioli, Mitchell, Hodge)

I reckon we blinked, with 3 days to go, got suckered by Pies.

Anyhow, I'm cranky in my old (middle) age. Hope they prove me wrong ten times over.

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
gringo wrote:

Agree, lets hope he's awesome and good luck to the kid....but there is some serious post rationalization in this thread.

I think we need to assume they really rate him and did the deal because they believe in it enough to put their professional credibility on the line. Last year was our best draft year for sometime and not many were high. I hope his potential is worth 13 and honestly didn't think from the outside it was worth it. Lee I have more faith in as I have watched his Claremont form and think he looks good. I think that was a win because we downgraded picks but got a good player at the same time.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Delighted with Pelchan's work.

We've got a void of players in the 21-25 age bracket.

We desperately needed a ruckman to support McEvoy.

We've got Lee as a dynamic key forward.

Both can play in round 1.

Usually the top 4 or 5 kids in the draft are pretty good, but from 10-30 it's a bit of a lottery, like buying a yearling at the thoroughbred sales. Pelchan has spent pick's 12 & 13 on exactly what we need, the equivilant of top 10 draft picks, and with their early development out of the way. Then we have those excellent 2nd round picks, where we can still pick up some excellent talent.

We may even trade for a full back.

That would be exciting. We would have a more talanted, and better balanced side than we had in 2012. With a bit of luck, we could easily win an extra 5 games in 2013. That would put us right in the mix.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Delighted with Pelchan's work.That would be exciting. We would have a more talented, and better balanced side than we had in 2012. With a bit of luck, we could easily win an extra 5 games in 2013. That would put us right in the mix.
By the way I think Sippos can cover BJ, so I think we have upside, Markworth will improve and so will Ross.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bigred
Saintsational Legend

In context the Hickey trade seems fair enough.

Pick 12 for Lee.... Far out he must be good.

Massive overs IMO.

We get two pick in the top fifteen and we trade them like this? It just doesn't sit right.

Just my opinion and what do I know......

I can say this much....I will be on their backs like a true internet hero all year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Delighted with Pelchan's work.

We've got a void of players in the 21-25 age bracket.

We desperately needed a ruckman to support McEvoy.

We've got Lee as a dynamic key forward.

Both can play in round 1.

Usually the top 4 or 5 kids in the draft are pretty good, but from 10-30 it's a bit of a lottery, like buying a yearling at the thoroughbred sales. Pelchan has spent pick's 12 & 13 on exactly what we need, the equivilant of top 10 draft picks, and with their early development out of the way. Then we have those excellent 2nd round picks, where we can still pick up some excellent talent.

We may even trade for a full back.

That would be exciting. We would have a more talanted, and better balanced side than we had in 2012. With a bit of luck, we could easily win an extra 5 games in 2013. That would put us right in the mix.

Well said. Go Saints.

andrewg
Club Player

Not sure if this has been posted but with 8 pages I will go again

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cxNqC8QD ... xNqC8QDBfg

Nice to watch

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Should we have picked up a gun 17 year old ruckman in the Draft at pick 13? Would people have been happier with that because it gives us a big buzz on Draft Day?

I would of liked to have hang on to our other pick...but chook has explained that Pies were sniffing.

That has forced our hand to pay what I personally believe is overs.

Pick 13 and 57....without the sweetner, and they hand over what they handed over.
Still, didn't want to see us go into the season without a ruckman or a defender.
But the sweetner was our way (as well)..........UPGRADED PICK TO 26..........

not sure you have grasped that.

They just would not have gone with it without 37

I too would have liked 26 from them and kept 37 but ..............................

saint4life
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Old Mate wrote:
kos wrote:Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!
Pick 25, 26, 37 think Ross, newnes and mark worth. Well done saints!
Look, I would be far more disappointed if we had given picks 12 & 13 away for 'ageing' stars. Both Tom Lee and Tom Hickey are still very young and could potentially fill two major list needs for the next decade. They've also got a few years of development playing senior footy so will be a lot closer to being in our best 22 (if they make it) than 18 year olds fresh out of high school.
I'm with you guys and Emma Q. Although I'd have preferred to use 24 on Hickey, when push comes to shove, he's probably better than what would have been available at pick 13. Looking from afar, none of the blokes touted as likely to be available at pick 13 fill me with confidence that they'd end more then somewhere between good player and GOP.

So lets now look at the likes of Martin to fill-in in defence or wherever needed, stuff the e-girls and wait for Brown to walk next year, and use our picks on the hidden gems that we now seem to have the knack for finding.

That said, I still wouldn't put it past the Dreamons being stupid enough to let us get Chip with those mid-20's picks of ours plus Farren and Tommy Walsh thrown in. :twisted: Remember, they're the ones who paid the Skunks pick 20 for Dawes - and they are also tying up $500K of their salary cap on him! :shock: That stupid gifting of pick 20 then allowed the Skunks to interfere with our bargaining strength re getting Hickey and forced our hand! :evil: Dreamons = idiots!!!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: