Natanui Rule

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Natanui Rule

The new rule regarding ruckmen not being able to make contact with each other until the ball has left the umpire's hand has been coined the "Natanui Rule" because it will be a significant advantage to the leaping athletic ruckman as opposed to the burly wrestling types.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 27qqh.html

I think that this will also be a clear advantage for Stanley and I look forward to seeing him be able to utilize his phenomenal leap unimpeded by the big heavy ruckmen.

On the other hand, I don't think this helps out Mcevoy too much, seeing as his leap (or lack thereof) is the most glaring omission from his skillset as a ruckman.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Natanui Rule

I think it's an absolutely terrible rule which takes footy one step closer to basketball. No doubt it will help Stanley and hinder McEvoy as you said. It's becoming more and more of a game for athletic beanpole marathon runners every year; variety is quickly dying in footy and that was something that made it great.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think it's an absolutely terrible rule which takes footy one step closer to basketball. No doubt it will help Stanley and hinder McEvoy as you said. It's becoming more and more of a game for athletic beanpole marathon runners every year; variety is quickly dying in footy and that was something that made it great.

You are obviously young because the best ruckmen in the 60's and 70's never wrestled and even if they did it is crap to watch. Great rule change as most are.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I think it's an absolutely terrible rule which takes footy one step closer to basketball. No doubt it will help Stanley and hinder McEvoy as you said. It's becoming more and more of a game for athletic beanpole marathon runners every year; variety is quickly dying in footy and that was something that made it great.

You are obviously young because the best ruckmen in the 60's and 70's never wrestled and even if they did it is crap to watch. Great rule change as most are.
I don't mind this rule change but to say most rule changes are great is a bit dumb .. The 2 fifty metre penalty for having a toe over the interchange line is hardly a great rule change ... The deliberate rush behind rule where it's 50/50 on how the umpire interpretation of under pressure is hardly a great rule change ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints have been big users of the third man up- now banned.

Higher leapers advantaged..... but also perhaps the very tall rucks too.

The body-workers will disadvantged.

Tom now looks an even better pick -up...as he has the leap to the play the No2 role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

The new rule will benefit ruckmen who can jump and those who can run.
Those who can get to the prime position first can't be shoved out of the way by their opponent.

Big Mac can't jump, can't run, come to think of it he can't ruck.
All he can do is wrestle which is now banned.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Let's see how it pans out. McEvoy is a clever player and may not be as disadvantaged as you first think.

In a marking contest he's often in prime position at the right time because he reads the play well.

I want to see it in action before drawing any conclusions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't mind this rule change but to say most rule changes are great is a bit dumb .. The 2 fifty metre penalty for having a toe over the interchange line is hardly a great rule change ... The deliberate rush behind rule where it's 50/50 on how the umpire interpretation of under pressure is hardly a great rule change ...

Surely it isnt hard to stay behind the line. it is a btter rule than losing all your score if you had to many on the ground. You get called for a no ball if some part of your foot isnt on the line. And the delibrate rush rule is to stop what the Hawks did in the 2008 GF or what Joel Bowden did. Good rule but like just about every AFL rule they are up to the umpire to interprate. And most rule changes are great. Most does mean more than 50% doesnt it?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree with plugger here. Most, not all, rules changes are good (ok, I've downgraded his rating of great :wink: )

When you consider the amount of changes over recent years, if they were all crappy then no one would be watching this game of ours. But the reality is that the sport has never been more popular.

The key is for some of us, particular those who have followed the sport for a long time, is to not always get caught up in the "good old days" mindset.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Darren Jolly's stocks just plummeted, he's a grappling machine.

I would much rather see 'athletic' rucking duals rather than wrestling ones. The biggest problem for me is when they pluck free kicks when both guys are holding on.

SaintTom
Club Player

I like this new rule, however I'm not sure it's particularly beneficial to Big Mac...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yep unless Big MAC can improve his leap about 1-2 feet over the summer his days as our No 1 Ruckman will be numbered when Hickey arrives.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Actually this rule just made so much harder to get Hickey. The premium on athletic jumping ruckmen just went through the roof.

FQF
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote:Actually this rule just made so much harder to get Hickey. The premium on athletic jumping ruckmen just went through the roof.
I don't think this rule change will alter his value before he has even proven himself and before the rule has ever been applied.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

FQF wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Actually this rule just made so much harder to get Hickey. The premium on athletic jumping ruckmen just went through the roof.
I don't think this rule change will alter his value before he has even proven himself and before the rule has ever been applied.
Really, you think the Suns aren't going to try to use that card.
If it was the other way around and someone was trying to get a hold of Rhys Stanley I would hope we would use it.

Stian
Club Player

I wonder if this rule might benefit Kosi in his role as a ruck-forward?

He has a good vertical leap in taking a pack mark but then that usually requires a run-up - so mabe he won't be able to do that in a ruck contest. I just can't make up my mind.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

ace wrote:The new rule will benefit ruckmen who can jump and those who can run.
Those who can get to the prime position first can't be shoved out of the way by their opponent.

I'm half way with ya Ace.

Those who can run will "get to the prime position first can't be shoved out of the way by their opponent" is the key plus in this for Mac.

Firstly, whilst no Rhys Lightning, Mac isn't as slow as the impression given by his lumbering running style. And, his tank is elite. He's up there with the mid fielders. Keeps going and going. I've noticed as games drag on, Mac's rucking influence rises due (I assume) to his opponent/s tiring.

So under this new rule, I'd expect Mac to get to 'the prime position' for ruck contests more and more than his opponent/s... And once achieving that prime position, he can more easily block (or at least hinder) a high leaping opponent's run at the contest, and also his opponent's scope to wrestle to gain back prime position is being greatly reduced... and that's another plus, as I actually reckon Mac tends to be out-wrestled by the really big blokes.

So, in theory these changes could actually be a huge advantage for a ruckman who can go all day, and therefore just keep on being able to gain that prime position, and in so doing keep on placing his big frame between the other bloke and the contest. :idea:

Ben McEvoy... come on down!!! 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

If nic nat is advantage , then surely cox has been disadvantage . This year he got a ton of free kicks in perth at ruck contests .

In red white and black from 73
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Half the taps will continue to go to the opposition...WCE had 15 more hitouts on average (per game) than the other sides - but only had an average amount of clearances.
If they end up with 25 more than the average next year - they'll still end up with the average amount of clearances.

Tap outs are way over-rated !
Last edited by samoht on Thu 18 Oct 2012 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Dave McNamara wrote:
ace wrote:The new rule will benefit ruckmen who can jump and those who can run.

I'm half way with ya Ace.

Those who can run will "get to the prime position first can't be shoved out of the way by their opponent" is the key plus in this for Mac.

Firstly, whilst no Rhys Lightning, Mac isn't as slow as the impression given by his lumbering running style. And, his tank is elite. He's up there with the mid fielders. Keeps going and going. I've noticed as games drag on, Mac's rucking influence rises due (I assume) to his opponent/s tiring.

So under this new rule, I'd expect Mac to get to 'the prime position' for ruck contests more and more than his opponent/s... And once achieving that prime position, he can more easily block (or at least hinder) a high leaping opponent's run at the contest, and also his opponent's scope to wrestle to gain back prime position is being greatly reduced... and that's another plus, as I actually reckon Mac tends to be out-wrestled by the really big blokes.

So, in theory these changes could actually be a huge advantage for a ruckman who can go all day, and therefore just keep on being able to gain that prime position, and in so doing keep on placing his big frame between the other bloke and the contest. :idea:

Ben McEvoy... come on down!!! 8-)
Ace's assessment is way off reality
McEvoy is highly mobile and has a big tank, his great advantage as the game wears on .
the 'no-grappling" rule has been in for years, as has the center bounce line & no-blocking, yet people are saying this rule will change the game??? It is nothing more than a rule clarification that will enable the umpire to get the ball back in play quicker.

Seeya