Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

We either need brown to make anothet statement declaring that he must be traded to force wce hand or move on to someone else.

I bet the saints already have other plans in place, if brown wont be traded

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Munga wrote:Eagles say Mitch Brown off the trade table
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... est-coast/
So are West Coast saying they won't trade Brown because they won't trade Brown?

Or are they saying they won't trade Brown because the Saints have only offered what they think he's really worth; and not what the media & forums think we might be offering. 

If it's the latter then I'm more than happy. 

I don't want our club trading away the really good draft picks we have on someone who may be the answer, but who equally may turn out to be an injury plagued, undisciplined Sandy player.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What the good doctor said. I really don't get all the love for Brown on here. Ordinary track record and from all reports, a pretty ordinary bloke. In racing parlance, "prefer others".

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
sainter27
Club Player

What is with this pathetic 'mommys boy' go home culture that seems to happen now? 1st round pick, just starting to secure
his place in the seniors and wants to go home. But he doesn't just want to go home to Perth. He wants to go home to Perth
but only to the Eagles. Pathetic. Beyond pathetic. Now we have the West Coast people coming out insisting Mitch Brown is
not for trade, but then compelling St Kilda to do the right thing by Cripps through the media. What about what we want, what Brown
wants? F#$k that, Cripps stays or goes into the pre-season draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:What is with this pathetic 'mommys boy' go home culture that seems to happen now? 1st round pick, just starting to secure
his place in the seniors and wants to go home. But he doesn't just want to go home to Perth. He wants to go home to Perth
but only to the Eagles. Pathetic. Beyond pathetic. Now we have the West Coast people coming out insisting Mitch Brown is
not for trade, but then compelling St Kilda to do the right thing by Cripps through the media. What about what we want, what Brown
wants? F#$k that, Cripps stays or goes into the pre-season draft.

So because we cant get Brown we go and get nothing for Cripps. That doesnt make sense. I would only do that if they cant give us a pick under 40 or so.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

sems like it sainter27

"Where [St Kilda's] list sits, he'd look at it as being immediate round one. That’s not to say he's not going to play here in round one either.

"But we've got (Eric) Mackenzie, (Darren) Glass and (Will) Schofield, so there's slightly more competition for those tall back spots."

Vozzo said discussions to secure Cripps had been progressing slowly because of the Saints' insistence on dealing for Brown.

"I would have thought it's not a difficult transaction to finish but unfortunately it's proving to be so," Vozzo aid.
so even though Vozzo can Not see Brown getting a game rd he is determined he wont get a game anywhere AFL? for rd 1..
I wonder what the restraint of trade situation is now :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Playon
Club Player

West Coast obviously want a Cripps/Stevens deal done. No Brown no deal.

Cripps needs to be put the option of a 12 month contract to then try again next year or the draft. The Eagles need to be told ....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:sems like it sainter27

"Where [St Kilda's] list sits, he'd look at it as being immediate round one. That’s not to say he's not going to play here in round one either.

"But we've got (Eric) Mackenzie, (Darren) Glass and (Will) Schofield, so there's slightly more competition for those tall back spots."

Vozzo said discussions to secure Cripps had been progressing slowly because of the Saints' insistence on dealing for Brown.

"I would have thought it's not a difficult transaction to finish but unfortunately it's proving to be so," Vozzo aid.
so even though Vozzo can Not see Brown getting a game rd he is determined he wont get a game anywhere AFL? for rd 1..

One has a contract one doesnt.

sainter27
Club Player

Cripps needs to be a man and play for the club that drafted him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:Cripps needs to be a man and play for the club that drafted him

But if he isnt we need to get something for him surely.

sainter27
Club Player

Yeah look I agree with you plugger66, but not if it as close to a 50-50 deal as can be negotiated. If we are to be walked over we should either convince Cripps
to stay or send him into the pre-season draft then if no other club takes him (which they will), we re-draft him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:We either need brown to make anothet statement declaring that he must be traded to force wce hand or move on to someone else.

I bet the saints already have other plans in place, if brown wont be traded
Oh a statement "I must be traded". Maybe he can also stamp his feet and throw a tanty as well?

A contract is a contract. He can huff and puff all day long and that wont change. If the Eagles want him to stay he will have to stay. he signed the contract in the first place.

suss
Club Player

This has Luke Ball written all over it. Just take Stevens and aim to get Brown for nothing next year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

My understanding is Cripps will re-sign with us if the club cannot come to terms with WC. Given St Kilda (at this stage) will not trade Cripps unless the deal includes Mitch Brown and WC (at this stage) will not trade Brown then I think it's a strong possibility Cripps will remain with St Kilda next season and perhaps beyond.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Old Mate wrote:My understanding is Cripps will re-sign with us if the club cannot come to terms with WC. Given St Kilda (at this stage) will not trade Cripps unless the deal includes Mitch Brown and WC (at this stage) will not trade Brown then I think it's a strong possibility Cripps will remain with St Kilda next season and perhaps beyond.
Excellent, then I guess we'll see how much they want Cripps then, and just how far "off the table" Brown is. Methinks there is just a little too much bluster from WCE. :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint6709
Club Player

Brown not coming according to AFL draft page

savatage
SS Life Member

I'd hope cripps can be re-signed. f*** looking after west coast. If they're definitive that we can't have brown then lets not gift them cripps. He seemed happy enough at the club anyway.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
One has a contract one doesnt.
Thats pretty much the situation. Brown has a contract. Its not really restraint of trade. Lets say Brown changed his mind 1 week after signing his contract and wanted to leave - would that be ok? Contract is a contract. Gary Buckenara and Paul Harding have tested this in the courts. On both occasions the courts sided with the clubs and made the players stick to their contracts.

Although I do believe maybe the AFL came to a deal with the AFLPA to allow free agency if the AFLPA agreed in return not to test restraint of trade again anytime soon. The courts may have changed their view this issue in recent times. Only if lets say the Eagles were paying Brown way under his market value and then not selecting him could be it shown they were restraining him. If he is on decent coin and at least getting a chance to play AFL footy its not really restraint of trade.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 16 Oct 2012 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:This has Luke Ball written all over it. Just take Stevens and aim to get Brown for nothing next year.
Although where Cripps is currently at and Ball was at in 09 is a slightly unfair comparison, I agree that we don't have a favorable win rate with playing hard ball during trade time.

Eagles say no deal, Brown stays. We say no deal, Cripps goes into the draft and more than likely ends up at West Coast anyway. Again, we're the big losers and the Eagles know that is the likely outcome.

We don't have pole position, so just get a trade done.

Bad management is bad management
dragit
Saintsational Legend

What happened with Zac Clarke, was he wanting to return to Vic or was that just pure myth?

Surely Cripps would be open to the other WA team, unless of course he just really didn't get along with Ross?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:What the good doctor said. I really don't get all the love for Brown on here. Ordinary track record and from all reports, a pretty ordinary bloke. In racing parlance, "prefer others".
"Prefer others" is all very well if other options exist. Who would you prefer, though? Rivers? Hooker? Gilham? Pederson? Delaney? Not a lot of reasonable AFL size defenders out there on the market right now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
White Winmar wrote:What the good doctor said. I really don't get all the love for Brown on here. Ordinary track record and from all reports, a pretty ordinary bloke. In racing parlance, "prefer others".
"Prefer others" is all very well if other options exist. Who would you prefer, though? Rivers? Hooker? Gilham? Pederson? Delaney? Not a lot of reasonable AFL size defenders out there on the market right now.
Brown may well be better than all those blokes you've named but if West Coast won't trade, or want ridiculous "overs", then we simply have to look elsewhere. And that includes State Leagues if necessary.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Brown may well be better than all those blokes you've named but if West Coast won't trade, or want ridiculous "overs", then we simply have to look elsewhere. And that includes State Leagues if necessary.
Brown is a crab. whenever he's played for West Coast (and I've seen him live qite a few times) he looks completely out of his depth. Hesitates and is always second to the ball. Spends most of his time standing the mark after being beaten in a marking contest..

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

All I'm saying Bergholt, is that we don't want to pay too much for a guy who has a less than flattering record.
There are plenty of players available who would be at least his equal. The Pelican will have a plan B. Surely WC doesn't realistically expect us to trade pick 13 or even 23 for him? There are other options out there. You've named 5 for a start. With all the chest beating from WC, I'm sure the deal will get done for Brown about 10 minutes before the deadline.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Megamaguire
Club Player

White Winmar said ..."Surely WC doesn't realistically expect us to trade pick 13 or even 23 for him?'. They want whatever they don't deserve so don't be surprised white nb. 7!
We should hold on to Cripps unless WC Property Owners are prepared to let Brown play more afl games and return home as they would like to 'help' Crippa return home.
I don't want them to think St.Kilda are some other club's B****!
I think they may well be thrawling for the nb. 13 pick or even 23 pick and i don't think they should get either. I wish i could think of a tall defender St.Kilda could find and bring to our backline structures but i have nothin.
Anyway i would still like to see young Cripps have a second year under Watters and come of age so to speak. I've heard he is a good team man and i appreciate that much. At West Coast he would probably be waitin longer for game time.
Anyway hope the club don't get scared by the WC fear campaign.
STAY PUT CRIPPS!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.