Rumour Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintTom
Club Player

Re: Rumour Thread

St Ick wrote:AFL site now saying two other clubs are interested in Hickey and its not a done deal. Last thing we want is a bloody bidding war... trading is not quite going according to plan thus far is it?
I don't know if that is the case really. I don't think we'll be super active until we actually know what our Goddard Compo is, so who's to say it isn't all going to plan?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:AFL site now saying two other clubs are interested in Hickey and its not a done deal. Last thing we want is a bloody bidding war... trading is not quite going according to plan thus far is it?
Thats exactly what the SUNS have been stalling for - they have wanted other clubs to become involved to push our offer up!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
luc1966
Club Player

Yeah he has nominated us so we will get our chance

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:
I don't know if that is the case really. I don't think we'll be super active until we actually know what our Goddard Compo is, so who's to say it isn't all going to plan?
Our compo pick is 13... If that was involved in getting Hickey or Brown then I'd be furious!!

I keep thinking with Cats wanting McIntosh, Cats getting Caddy and North wanting Hickey there might be something going on there especially considering the Caddy deal needs to be finalised... maybe its the sceptic in me but I just feel we'll miss who we really want and end up with Stevens & Martin... not end of the world but not first choice trades in anyones language...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
luc1966
Club Player

Its the reson why i would like us to snap up Martin early next week so that if Hickey does fail we do have our plan b anyway! My main concern is FB if brown dosn't come through would we be happy with say a Thornton? Who else is there

noob
Club Player

luc1966 wrote:Its the reson why i would like us to snap up Martin early next week so that if Hickey does fail we do have our plan b anyway! My main concern is FB if brown dosn't come through would we be happy with say a Thornton? Who else is there
The National Draft.

luc1966
Club Player

noob wrote:
luc1966 wrote:Its the reson why i would like us to snap up Martin early next week so that if Hickey does fail we do have our plan b anyway! My main concern is FB if brown dosn't come through would we be happy with say a Thornton? Who else is there
The National Draft.
Yes good point! What are we going for tho is it a quick fix no1 in the draft is going to step up to play fb next year

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Do we really need Stevens though?
Does he offer any more than Armo or Jack.
We are not in a premiership window at the moment and anyone that thinks we are is deluded.
If we can get him for a third rounder then fair enough but if he costs more than that then the price is too high in my opinion.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Do we really need Stevens though?
We are not in a premiership window at the moment and anyone that thinks we are is deluded.
If we can get him for a third rounder then fair enough but if he costs more than that then the price is too high in my opinion.
So we can't recruit a 22 year old now?
If we are that hard off, then we should trade out Dal for a low pick and Joey for a second rounder and Fish for a second rounder as well.
What's the point of keeping any of them if we are that far away.
We can keep Roo and Lenny for culture.

Ridiculuous.

asaint
Club Player

I did not think Sydney were in the "premiership window" but that worked out ok for them.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

maverick wrote:
If we are that hard off, then we should trade out Dal for a low pick and Joey for a second rounder and Fish for a second rounder as well.

Ridiculuous.
You completely missed the point of what I wrote.
If Stevens brings potential to the table and may develop into a top liner sure go ahead and do it.
But from what I have seen of Stevens he is a poor version of Armo. His disposal is extremely poor, he is not a great accumulator of possessions and he is not a line breaker.
He is one of those players that do a little bit of everything but none of them particularly well.
There is nothing wrong with recruiting a 22 year old if they look like they may be something special.
Given our drafting over the last few years we are already stocked up with depth players but lets just get a few more hey. After all mediocrity is all the rage now.
We are better off taking a risk than playing widdle of the road.
Keep the class we have and try to augment it with real quality.
We are not a desirable enough club that we can trade the quality in so we need to draft it.

Is that simple enough for you to understand.

Yaysaints
Club Player

Rumour going round that trade month as too long.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
maverick wrote:

Ridiculuous.
You completely missed the point of what I wrote.
If Stevens brings potential to the table and may develop into a top liner sure go ahead and do it.
But from what I have seen of Stevens he is a poor version of Armo. His disposal is extremely poor, he is not a great accumulator of possessions and he is not a line breaker.
He is one of those players that do a little bit of everything but none of them particularly well.
There is nothing wrong with recruiting a 22 year old if they look like they may be something special.
Given our drafting over the last few years we are already stocked up with depth players but lets just get a few more hey. After all mediocrity is all the rage now.
We are better off taking a risk than playing widdle of the road.
Keep the class we have and try to augment it with real quality.
We are not a desirable enough club that we can trade the quality in so we need to draft it.

Is that simple enough for you to understand.
SO if we are or we're not in a premiership window why does it matter if he is no good?
Do you read back your stuff before writing it?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:Rumour going round that trade month as too long.
I heard the same thing, why are we having to wait this long again?

Things will get really exciting when we find out which picks we have, weeks after trade month begins, no less... What a kerfuffle.

Feels like Goddard left years ago.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Not saying they will if possible but considering the Suns can sign Clay Cameron as a zone player, does it mean he can also be ontraded?

He is only 18, but he could work out to be a sweetener for a Hickey deal... just a thought... I cant wait to see what will happen over the next two weeks... just as long as something does happen :)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
mohannair
Club Player

Is that simple enough for you to understand.[/quote]

SO if we are or we're not in a premiership window why does it matter if he is no good?
Do you read back your stuff before writing it?[/quote]

Maverick & SinCitySainter, can you both cool down a bit. Why should you two fight when we all want the benefit for the club. We all support the same club so pl maintain your cool & stop fighting.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:Rumour going round that trade month as too long.
I heard the same thing, why are we having to wait this long again?

Things will get really exciting when we find out which picks we have, weeks after trade month begins, no less... What a kerfuffle.

Feels like Goddard left years ago.
It should be 1 week of Free Agency followed by two weeks of Trading - 3 weeks all up

There should be no crossover period so when trading week starts every team knows what draft picks they have to use for trading

The fact that we are in middle of the trade period and we still cannot use our Goddard compensation pick is ridiculous - the two week crossover just does not add up

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

luc1966 wrote:
noob wrote:
The National Draft.
Yes good point! What are we going for tho is it a quick fix no1 in the draft is going to step up to play fb next year

You can also recruit mature age in the draft. It is not just for kids. For example who are the best Full backs in the WAFL, SANFL, VFL etc...

Remember Barlow and Pods......and we gained Zac as a rookie.
The Cats plucked Taylor after their CHB went down with a permanent injury.

So there will be options in the National and Rookie drafts that could play next year..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Austinnn
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
dragit wrote:Hi Dave - thanks for deconstructing my signature, in actual fact it was meant to resemble the nonsensical rants of our beloved barks4eva… so I felt that a mixed up order was actually more appropriate & added to the inanity of it all, I actually quite like the thought of 'the board' eating surrender for breakfast anyhow… fair-dinkum-clueless-asleep-at-the-wheel-sheep-clowns that they are.

b.t.w - i didn't know that 'cheese monkey' was an 'urban' term in itself :shock:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20monkey
Thanks for clearing that one up for me Dragit. I've been wondering about it for awhile.

Our Board may not appreciate your version, but there's no doubt that the French and Barks would. 8-)

You won't be surprised to hear that most French I've met don't really talk much about that war and don't really idolise Napoleon. Maybe it's because he lost the war in the end, but it's probably more to do with most of the people I know not being that patriotic. You never see the French flag on anything outside government/counci offices, police stations, products etc. (Maybe that will change as Marine Le Pen gains popularity) They don't talk about WW2 much, although they regard De Gaulle as a hero. I think they regard things like wars pragmatically rather than a 'win at all costs' mentality. I don't know really, talking through my deriere perhaps.

They are much more passionate about cheese, and have nothing but distain for the anglo version which they dismiss as tasteless. In their mind, it's only cheddar.

Finally, I'd be patient with these deals, we've got 2 weeks to try and shake Brown from the WCE tree and prise Hickey from the grasping Gold Coast, but I'm sure Pelican is looking at other options, otherwise we're going to get screwed again. I'd rather wait a year for Brown to walk to us than give up top picks for him. Look for other FB options in my opinion.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
SaintTom wrote:
Our compo pick is 13... If that was involved in getting Hickey or Brown then I'd be furious!!

I keep thinking with Cats wanting McIntosh, Cats getting Caddy and North wanting Hickey there might be something going on there especially considering the Caddy deal needs to be finalised... maybe its the sceptic in me but I just feel we'll miss who we really want and end up with Stevens & Martin... not end of the world but not first choice trades in anyones language...

we missed Caddy

should we miss Hickey and Brown.......and lost Goddard.........you wouldnt call it a raging success.

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

At this stage I would prefer for the Saints to not use their picks for trades, use them in the draft. We could do well this year. If we do any further trading make it by way of using players. Maybe we can consider who will be eligible for unrestricted player at the end of next season, and put them up for trade now when we will get something decent for them, as the bulldogs did with Lake.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:At this stage I would prefer for the Saints to not use their picks for trades, use them in the draft. We could do well this year. If we do any further trading make it by way of using players. Maybe we can consider who will be eligible for unrestricted player at the end of next season, and put them up for trade now when we will get something decent for them, as the bulldogs did with Lake.

I think its Dal next year yeah?

Imagine that.....thanks to FA..........killing us slowly 1 player, 1 year at a time.......

“Yeah….nah””
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Dal will sign a contract he loves the saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:Dal will sign a contract he loves the saints.

Never heard that before. Ball and BJ dont come to mind.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Dont think BJ ever Loved stkilda think he loved money ALOT more.