Front Runners

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Front Runners

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Eagles are saying pick 13 isn't enough to get brown ... Can't see them changing their mind on that maybe just maybe they will take 13 for him but hopes of us doing it for pick 24 are pipe dreams ... I reckon he will stay at west coast and come next year to the saints
I think you will find that WC are waiting to speak to Brown upon his return from the US. If Brown says flat out that he doesn't want to be a part of their club anymore then a trade will be facilitated. All this chest beating in the media means little and a trade will be accommodated if that's what Brown wants. I realise he is contracted however why would the club want him if he doesn't wish to be there? The question remains what will St Kilda be prepared to give up. I'm thinking Cripps will still be part of the deal plus pick 34 or 43.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think a lot of the West Coast chest beating comes from Brown forgetting to engage his brain before puting his mouth into gear last weekend !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Eagles are saying pick 13 isn't enough to get brown ... Can't see them changing their mind on that maybe just maybe they will take 13 for him but hopes of us doing it for pick 24 are pipe dreams ... I reckon he will stay at west coast and come next year to the saints
Tell them they're dreaming!

If Brown is worth pick 13 then they're absolutely shithouse judges of their own players considering he couldn't get a game with them.

What is McKenzie worth in their eyes.

Pick 5?
Agree, no way is he worth 13, I do hope we get him but I don't want us to give 13 away for anyone.

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If West Coast want to be stupid/pig headed then just walk away.

Mitch Brown might be a handy aquisition for our team but he is not an AA FB or CHB. There has to be other less expensive options out there.

Pick 13 must be used on a talented youngster OR a genuine gun player from a rival club. Brown is neither.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd imagine that we'd have contingencies that we're working on in case the Brown/Hickey deals fall through. I still think we should stay in contention for Cam Pederson and there are a few other ruck options available. I'm not sure on the status of Cam/Luke Delaney at North and Luke Thompson at Adelaide but they'd all be capable of playing the role set out for Brown, even if they're not our preferred option. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a whole lot of chest-beating going on at the moment which will be replaced by frantic compromise once the end of the exchange period is closer. I really hope we don't trade pick 13 though. This is our first chance in a while to snare some genuine well-rounded talent through the draft rather than taking punts on talented but flawed players later on.

I don't think there are any midfielders available who are worth trading for. Jacobs would be ok but I'd rather stick with our draft picks. Stevens hasn't done anything to suggest he'd be better than Ross, Ledger or Curren.

If the trade/FA period pans out something like this for us, we'll have done reasonably well considering the circumstances

Goddard for pick 13
Pick 12 for Lee, pick 24 and pick 43

Cripps and pick 34 for Brown and pick 57
Pick 24 for Hickey
Ray and pick 57 for pick 20

In: Brown, Hickey, Lee, pick 13, pick 20, pick 43
Out: Goddard, Cripps, Ray, pick 12, pick 34

Leaving us with picks 13, 20, 43 and 53 to use in the draft. It'd be great if we could offload Raph or Jones in a trade for a late pick as well.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

That would be ideal mad saint guy however the Demons pick 20 will surely end up with Collingwood for Dawes.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leave aside for one moment the Saints alleged fascination with Brown and ask yourself a simple question.

Given the young talent around, if Brown was out of contract and nominated for the Draft, would a club pick him at #13?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:That would be ideal mad saint guy however the Demons pick 20 will surely end up with Collingwood for Dawes.
Yes I suppose that is the way things are looking, and their pick 26 will be Viney. Personally I'd rather hang onto Ray (or at least get a top 30 pick for him), although if the Brown/Hickey deals fall through it wouldn't surprise me to see a Ray traded for Stefan Martin.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Leave aside for one moment the Saints alleged fascination with Brown and ask yourself a simple question.

Given the young talent around, if Brown was out of contract and nominated for the Draft, would a club pick him at #13?
I'd say he'd go in the mid twenties. And I think the deals St Kilda would be proposing probably accurately represent Brown's market value, but his contract to WC renders this irrelevant if they don't mind keeping him against his will.

WC want to keep Brown as backup for this year and then convince him to stay and play regular footy when Glass retires. It's a risk, but it might pay off for them and they're not missing out on a lot if they pass up our deal. Cripps is a player they wouldn't mind but they're not desperate for him, particularly after picking up a better outside runner in Wellingham.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Remember Bains said pick 13 could be traded when Caddy was still available. I am not convinced that Brown is actually good enough to play good consistent footy for the next 7/8 years. I may be wrong, but I am yet to be convinced. Especially if it'll cost Cripps and anything more than pick 34... will be furious if we 1) give up 13 for him and 2) lose cripps for nothing

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

It's all supply and demand ... WCE hold all the power in the situation they don't have to trade him so basically put they will expect us to pay overs for him ... They would also fancy their chances of convincing him to stay unless the trade favours them ... Think when ROK wanted to go play for hawthorn

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:It's all supply and demand ... WCE hold all the power in the situation they don't have to trade him so basically put they will expect us to pay overs for him ... They would also fancy their chances of convincing him to stay unless the trade favours them ... Think when ROK wanted to go play for hawthorn
Every situation was different. ROK was playing regular footy, was out of contract. Only ROK and his manager would know the truth but he could have been just trying to get an extra 100k from the Swans from wanting to go home.

Best example is Tom Gillies, he wasn't allowed to be traded under contract and didn't play this year and could even be delisted. We should be harping on this example when dealing with them...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!