Front Runners

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Front Runners

By my guess the Saints are currently chasing : Hickey and Brown. We are also interested in Jacobs and vaguely linked to Stefan Martin presumably in a straight swap for Farren Ray and of course Koby Stevens but I don't know if he is definitely on our radar. We need rebounding defenders and a class ruckman. So that is potentially two ruckmen in Hickey and Martin although Martin is predominantly a defender. Brown is a KPP ( centre half back) and Jacobs on the half back flank. On paper that should bolster our defensive capability. If we get Stevens you would expect him to be used in the midfield. We snared Tom Lee as another tall forward marking option. If that is pretty much the sum total of where we're at, is it going to be good enough? I personally think we're still a body short of what is necessary and that is a class act in the midfield. We need another Lenny Hayes or at least someone who is good enough to step up and play that pivotal role. Have we already got somebody? Jack Stevens, Tom Curran, Jack Newnes or Seb Ross???? If we haven't, then maybe it should be a draft priority with that 13 card. I just hope we don't have to give it away to get any of the others we are already chasing.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Front Runners

Not one of the players mentioned is worth Pick 13, or even a first round pick.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Not one of the players mentioned is worth Pick 13, or even a first round pick.
yep...you are spot on....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Not one of the players mentioned is worth Pick 13, or even a first round pick.
That's right but they might throw in a couple Of WA coaches or support staff to sweeten the deal.
We are really short of those! :twisted:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Any one of these for pick 13 will do me: Troy Menzel, Tim Membrey, Kristian Jaksch, Jake Stringer

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
santazzi
Club Player

Damienc.........Trust me.........No one except those in our footy/recruitment department has any clue of which players we are after.............all those players you mentioned came out of the fertile imaginations of some journos and offcource Saintsational forumites..........hang in there and we will all soon find out the players we are truly after.............

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Question: Why have our footy dept put our pick 13 out there? We have had little luck in the draft lately, and it seems we can finally do well this year with the crop coming through. I think picking Lee up should make us only go to the draft with pick 13. I like the sound of Brown, but not for pick 13, WCE will make us pay overs for sure.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Would we do 13 for Dom Tyson? I hear he wants out, Sos could do us a favour and give us a cheapy and Richmond are apparently pretty certain they can get him. Would we be interested he was potentially one of the best couple of mids in the comp when drafted.

SaintTom
Club Player

santazzi wrote:Damienc.........Trust me.........No one except those in our footy/recruitment department has any clue of which players we are after.............all those players you mentioned came out of the fertile imaginations of some journos and offcource Saintsational forumites..........hang in there and we will all soon find out the players we are truly after.............
That's not entirely true... Ameet Baines came out and said we were interested in Brown. The GC list manager also said that we'd made an offer for Hickey that they were considering.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Why would SOS do us a favour ? Would you expect Watters to do collingwood a favour ?? Ridiculous concept the maybe SOS will do us a favour cause he was an assistant years ago ...

Also trading pick 13 does not bother me that much provided we get a player that suits our needs .. If we pick a kid with 13 there is as much chance of it being a dud pick as there is it being a solid pick if we were to use 13 on Brown we already know he can play at AFL level and he suits our desperat need ... I know people will not be happy if we give up the draft pick but I liken it to trading a lotto ticket for a car .. Sure the lotto ticket might get you millions but the car is there ready to go right now

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well we are clearly interested in Brown as he has nominated us as his preferred club.

Pick 13 is not worth either Brown or any of the rumoured players given that the draft looks strong.

With Hickey a stumbling block could be that the Suns would not use the type of pick that we would want to trade, and we may not have any players that we are content to trade that they would want.

Brown is worth 24, but Hickey is not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

agree with the OP - I know we need KPD and ruck but I just reckon our midfield desperately also needs an injection of youth and class. I really hope if we can snare Brown/Hickey we can also snag a Jacobs/Stevens to add to midfield depth whilst keeping 13 for hopefully the next Dal Santo in the draft..

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we need to tinker with our side all over the ground....However the main issue is our backline. We don't have anyone waiting in the wings at Sandy. At least we have blokes like Ross, Newnes, Ledger and possibly Curren (depending if he's given a senior spot) pushing for midfield spots. In the forward line we have a number of small and tall options - Kosi, Riewoldt, Wilkes, Stanley and now Lee as talls and Milne, Schnieder, Milera and Saad as smalls. Now have a look at our depth (lack of) in the tall defence ranks. Nothing coming through at all except perhaps Ferguson who by all reports is still a couple of years away and isn't physically developed to play on tall forwards. The ruck division is not much better. McEvoy and then pinch hitters Stanley, Kosi, Wilkes and Blake...Shite.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:Would we do 13 for Dom Tyson? I hear he wants out, Sos could do us a favour and give us a cheapy and Richmond are apparently pretty certain they can get him. Would we be interested he was potentially one of the best couple of mids in the comp when drafted.
1. Dom has family ties with Richmond - if he comes back to Vic it will be to them.
2. Pick 13 isn't anywhere near enough for himEven if he requested a trade to Vic it would cost at least a top 5 pick (which only WB/MELB own)

The only way he comes home, is if Richmond trade pick 9 and a player for pick 4 or 5, and then ontrade that pick to GWS for Dom.

It won't happen this year, but Richmond will be very confident next year, and he'll come a lot cheaper without a contract.

Gershwin
Club Player

Not too worried if we don't get Hickey - he is not worth 24 which may have to go to get Brown. But we must get a back-up Ruckman with a late pick. McEvoy and Stanley with Kossie and Blake as back-ups is not good enough. Not sure if there is a mature bodied possibility floating around.
13 should be used for the best available - except for a small forward - got enough of those.

summertime and the living is easy ........
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

IMO if we were to pick up Hickey he will become our Number 1 Ruckman given the chance. He is as good as contetsed mark as McEvoy, has a better leap and is a lot more mobile than big Mac. Stanley would also be a better ruckman than McEvoy but is being developed as a key forward.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Not too worried if we don't get Hickey - he is not worth 24 which may have to go to get Brown. But we must get a back-up Ruckman with a late pick. McEvoy and Stanley with Kossie and Blake as back-ups is not good enough. Not sure if there is a mature bodied possibility floating around.
13 should be used for the best available - except for a small forward - got enough of those.

i actually would be a bit disappointed with 24 for hickey too. He's a guy with potential but he's not a dominant old school ruck option. Giles, Hamish MacIntosh, David Hille etc. are all proper rucks. I would help Essendon out and try to offer overs for Bellchambers so next contract is a little more pressured. Never hurts to sound them out and inflate the prices so Goddard leaves them a legacy.

santazzi
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:
santazzi wrote:Damienc.........Trust me.........No one except those in our footy/recruitment department has any clue of which players we are after.............all those players you mentioned came out of the fertile imaginations of some journos and offcource Saintsational forumites..........hang in there and we will all soon find out the players we are truly after.............
That's not entirely true... Ameet Baines came out and said we were interested in Brown. The GC list manager also said that we'd made an offer for Hickey that they were considering.
I stand corrected Saint Tom.......

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Question: Why have our footy dept put our pick 13 out there? We have had little luck in the draft lately, and it seems we can finally do well this year with the crop coming through. I think picking Lee up should make us only go to the draft with pick 13. I like the sound of Brown, but not for pick 13, WCE will make us pay overs for sure.
How do you know that we have put out pick 13 out there?

Could be wrong, but I doubt this pick would be traded. Everyone else seems to think that this is the case as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Question: Why have our footy dept put our pick 13 out there? We have had little luck in the draft lately, and it seems we can finally do well this year with the crop coming through. I think picking Lee up should make us only go to the draft with pick 13. I like the sound of Brown, but not for pick 13, WCE will make us pay overs for sure.

Could be wrong, but I doubt this pick would be traded. Everyone else seems to think that this is the case as well.
There was an article of afl.com.au a while ago (after we'd already traded pick 12) with Ameet Bains saying we're definitely open to trading 13. He didn't say we will or that we're looking to, he just said that we are open to it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

It's called fishing. I don't think it would be coming cheap. See if a new franchise has a gun kid that wants out, see if someone down the bottom needs to cull some elite talent and you see what comes your way.

Everyone has their first round pick available for the right price we are just letting everyone know we are open to it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A lot of clubs seem to be thinking that our Compo Pick (13) is theirs for the taking. I have faith that our List Management staff won't get sucked in by this and will "Hold Their Ground". I don't think we will see much movement now until the last couple of days of the Trade Period (another 2 weeks). This seems to be where Pelchin really shines

I wouldn't be writing the Brown deal off yet. I think Hickey might get done in the next few days. I think the Cripps deal (Like the Brown deal) will go right down to the wire. Farren Ray will probably end up at Melbourne, but not until the last few days. Also, at the end of all of this we will have to make more changes to our list. Probably another 2-3 de-listings !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Eagles are saying pick 13 isn't enough to get brown ... Can't see them changing their mind on that maybe just maybe they will take 13 for him but hopes of us doing it for pick 24 are pipe dreams ... I reckon he will stay at west coast and come next year to the saints

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Eagles are saying pick 13 isn't enough to get brown ... Can't see them changing their mind on that maybe just maybe they will take 13 for him but hopes of us doing it for pick 24 are pipe dreams ...
If that's the case:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Eagles are saying pick 13 isn't enough to get brown ... Can't see them changing their mind on that maybe just maybe they will take 13 for him but hopes of us doing it for pick 24 are pipe dreams ... I reckon he will stay at west coast and come next year to the saints
Tell them they're dreaming!

If Brown is worth pick 13 then they're absolutely shithouse judges of their own players considering he couldn't get a game with them.

What is McKenzie worth in their eyes.

Pick 5?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!