Rumour Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Re: Rumour Thread

If that happens and Hickey comes to the club

Well Kosi is finished.........

Martin would be okay. It would mean our ruck stocks (assuming Hickey cone over) have gone from rubbish to very very good.
Big Mac, Martin, Hickey, Stanley

saint6709
Club Player

Ralphy wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:If we pick up Martin, what would happen to Hickey?
Go for both.
I don't know much about Martin - Hickey looks OK but he concerns me - Is a 21 year old Queenslander - wanting to come down so his girlfriend can tryout for some acting roles???what if she doesn't get one ? what if they break up ?? He is also quoted as saying his dad is his best mate and biggest supporter etc etc
So if the girlfriend doesn't work out and dads still on the Gold Coast is he going to be OK ??????????????

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I don't know much about Martin - Hickey looks OK but he concerns me - Is a 21 year old Queenslander - wanting to come down so his girlfriend can tryout for some acting roles???what if she doesn't get one ? what if they break up ?? He is also quoted as saying his dad is his best mate and biggest supporter etc etc
So if the girlfriend doesn't work out and dads still on the Gold Coast is he going to be OK ??????????????
Well I suppose that gives us 3 years to turn him into a star so that we can trade him back to GC for 2 first rounders :wink:

FQF
SS Life Member

Ralphy wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:If we pick up Martin, what would happen to Hickey?
Go for both.
Absolutely. Most teams have a heap of ruckmen on their lists at various stages of development. With Martin and Hickey joining Mcevoy, Stanley and Lever it would be the first time in quite a few years that we have a solid ruck department both for the present and the future.

Lever - 19 y.o
Stanley - 21 y.o
Hickey - 21 y.o
Mcevoy - 23 y.o
Martin - 25 y.o

Further, given Martin and Stanleys' versatility they could easily play in the same side together with a primary ruckman being either Mcevoy or Hickey.

I think getting both of them should be a priority.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If Martin can play KP effectively he just went to the top of my hit parade. The versatility that offers is crucial in the modern game. If Stanley can stay fit and play KPF and ruck, Martin KPD and ruck, we are a completely different beast. This trade has me very excited. especially as the new kid Tommy Lee can pinch hit in the ruck as well.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Martin is a decent player, but a bit of a gumby...

Sort of similar to Will Minson...

I don't really see the point of getting him... And his disposal and decision making is average most of the time...

saint6709
Club Player

I keep saying again and again Zac Clarke ??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I keep saying again and again Zac Clarke ??

Martin and Clarke are similar types, not really rucks but not really that good anywhere else but both have potential.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Martin and Clarke are similar types, not really rucks but not really that good anywhere else but both have potential.
I'd prefer we didn't have to deal with Rossy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:

I'd prefer we didn't have to deal with Rossy.

Ross probably doesn't care once he's gone in his mind he won't hold out. Melbourne on the other hand might give us a first round pick for taking martin.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Lever will never play ruck at AFL level, he reluctantly had to at under 18 level because of injuries. He's a tall backman.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Pretty sure Lever will never play ruck at AFL level, he reluctantly had to at under 18 level because of injuries. He's a tall backman.
Jordan Staley is the ruckman on the rookie list.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Pretty sure Lever will never play ruck at AFL level, he reluctantly had to at under 18 level because of injuries. He's a tall backman.

he is a tall defender not a ruck and will never be a ruck. Same with Lee he's a tall athletic forward and while he could ruck as well so could Nick Riewoldt but you wouldn't.

saint6709
Club Player

Staley is only listed as 194cm -- looks like a kid though so could still grow 5cm from when drafted??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Staley is only listed as 194cm -- looks like a kid though so could still grow 5cm from when drafted??

he looks bigger than that- he looks like a ruck man not a KPp. Must be his frame looks taller than it is? He looked ok in a game I saw early in the season- can't remember which one. Was better than some of the kids on our senior list.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Well now that it sounds like we are about to get a deal done for Hickey, I would think our ruck problems are eased greatly.

We currently have:

Tom Lee
Pick 13 (expected)
Pick 24
Pick 34
Pick 43
Pick 53

And it sounds like we are going to get HIckey and maybe trading Ray for Martin.

Lee can pinch hit in the ruck, and Hickey and Martin both play there. If we get Hickey, I reckon we are getting Martin as a defender instead of Brown from WCE.

Would also expect to see Cripps going to WCE for Stevens if that happens.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Well now that it sounds like we are about to get a deal done for Hickey, I would think our ruck problems are eased greatly.

We currently have:

Tom Lee
Pick 13 (expected)
Pick 24
Pick 34
Pick 43
Pick 53

And it sounds like we are going to get HIckey and maybe trading Ray for Martin.

Lee can pinch hit in the ruck, and Hickey and Martin both play there. If we get Hickey, I reckon we are getting Martin as a defender instead of Brown from WCE.

Would also expect to see Cripps going to WCE for Stevens if that happens.
When i watched his highlight reel i thought gee he'd go well in a KP defensive role. Good mark, can jump and seems quick for his size. I hope we give him a go at FB if we don't get anyone else.

Gershwin
Club Player

"Dawes deal likely to be a three way trade with St Kilda. Not sure if pick 20 is involved or not. Stay tuned folks!" - twitter Brett Anderson

summertime and the living is easy ........
savatage
SS Life Member

If it involves Martin & Ray, I just don't understand why we wouldn't just do a straight swap?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:If it involves Martin & Ray, I just don't understand why we wouldn't just do a straight swap?
Cause collingwood want more than is fair of course... Greedy bunch of.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

True Believer wrote:If Martin can play KP effectively he just went to the top of my hit parade. The versatility that offers is crucial in the modern game. If Stanley can stay fit and play KPF and ruck, Martin KPD and ruck, we are a completely different beast. This trade has me very excited. especially as the new kid Tommy Lee can pinch hit in the ruck as well.....
Well put TB! I'm now thinking the same way, and sharing some of that excitement... could be time to start channelling the spirit of Big Kev... :)

Wasn't it Martin earlier this year who jumped so high at a centre bounce ruck contest that he kneed Kosi in the head???
savatage wrote:If it involves Martin & Ray, I just don't understand why we wouldn't just do a straight swap?
That's at least two of us then Sav. :idea:
dragit wrote:Cause collingwood want more than is fair of course... Greedy bunch of.
Correct answer Dragit!

Correct response... STUFF YOU SKUNKS! :evil:

PS: Dragit, I've been meaning to ask for a while..., I think that your signature should actually read...
Seaford - home to the Wellington cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Maybe you changed the wording to try and placate the French? :wink:
Cheese eating surrender monkeys:
Ignoring all the other definitions linking the phrase to the simpsons.
The Phrase was originally used by an American General in WW2 to describe the French and did not magically spring to life during the mid 1990s.
"Looks Like We're Gonna Have To Save Those Bloody Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys Again"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... er+monkeys

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mmmmmmmmm

cheese

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: PS: Dragit, I've been meaning to ask for a while..., I think that your signature should actually read...
Seaford - home to the Wellington cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Maybe you changed the wording to try and placate the French? :wink:
Cheese eating surrender monkeys:
Ignoring all the other definitions linking the phrase to the simpsons.
The Phrase was originally used by an American General in WW2 to describe the French and did not magically spring to life during the mid 1990s.
"Looks Like We're Gonna Have To Save Those Bloody Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys Again"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... er+monkeys
Hi Dave - thanks for deconstructing my signature, in actual fact it was meant to resemble the nonsensical rants of our beloved barks4eva… so I felt that a mixed up order was actually more appropriate & added to the inanity of it all, I actually quite like the thought of 'the board' eating surrender for breakfast anyhow… fair-dinkum-clueless-asleep-at-the-wheel-sheep-clowns that they are.

b.t.w - i didn't know that 'cheese monkey' was an 'urban' term in itself :shock:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20monkey

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dragit wrote:Hi Dave - thanks for deconstructing my signature, in actual fact it was meant to resemble the nonsensical rants of our beloved barks4eva… so I felt that a mixed up order was actually more appropriate & added to the inanity of it all, I actually quite like the thought of 'the board' eating surrender for breakfast anyhow… fair-dinkum-clueless-asleep-at-the-wheel-sheep-clowns that they are.

b.t.w - i didn't know that 'cheese monkey' was an 'urban' term in itself :shock:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20monkey
Thanks for clearing that one up for me Dragit. I've been wondering about it for awhile.

Our Board may not appreciate your version, but there's no doubt that the French and Barks would. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

AFL site now saying two other clubs are interested in Hickey and its not a done deal. Last thing we want is a bloody bidding war... trading is not quite going according to plan thus far is it?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!