On the couch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

On the couch

even Roos supported stance of saints

mentioned in his view today was a very dark day for football............introduction of FA

mentioned the impact it is or will have on Port Adelaide as real negative also

saint4life
suss
Club Player

Re: On the couch

I actually reckon free agency is okay. At least the departing player can choose a destination club without needing to engage in draft tampering (ala Luke Ball) and the club losing the player gets reasonably compensated and avoids getting completely shafted (ala Luke Ball). And the club pinching the player arguably has to pay at the higher end of market rates.

While it's not perfect I'm starting to think it's better than the previous system. I think that Luke Ball might be a prick too - just putting it out there.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Its rubbish that you don't lose anything at all for gaining a gun footballer.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
suss
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Its rubbish that you don't lose anything at all for gaining a gun footballer.
Except for $3,000,000. But i see your point. Will be interesting to see how this whole free agency thing pans out and whether it will be tinkered with in the coming years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Its rubbish that you don't lose anything at all for gaining a gun footballer.
Yes the compensation is effectively that all clubs move one pick lower in the draft order...and the club that gains a players is in exatly the same boat as the other clubs....so basically all other clubs chip in for that one club.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I hope we get a bit more out of Free Agency than we have out of Father and Son.

Saintsational Legend

The AFL will give us a comp pick but they could've chucked his cousin Hugh in for good measure :)

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

FA will only be good for the top clubs and sweet FA for the bottom clubs where nobody will want to go to.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:FA will only be good for the top clubs and sweet FA for the bottom clubs where nobody will want to go to.

Well Essendon finished below us. In most comps with FA you get nothing. At least we get compensated and it cant come from the club he is going to otherwise it is basically a trade. Not sure the AFL would have chosen to have it but the thought of restraint of trade would have been in the back of their mind.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:FA will only be good for the top clubs and sweet FA for the bottom clubs where nobody will want to go to.

Well Essendon finished below us. In most comps with FA you get nothing. At least we get compensated and it cant come from the club he is going to otherwise it is basically a trade. Not sure the AFL would have chosen to have it but the thought of restraint of trade would have been in the back of their mind.

It doesnt seem right that Essendon still remain better off in the draft but gain a gun footballer. In the meantime other clubs are disadvantaged by moving down the order. Also Im sure you know what Jack Back was refering to when he was saying bottom clubs.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It doesnt seem right that Essendon still remain better off in the draft but gain a gun footballer. In the meantime other clubs are disadvantaged by moving down the order. Also Im sure you know what Jack Back was refering to when he was saying bottom clubs.
I basically agree with this. Clubs should have to give something up. Essendon should have to give something up. Looks like clubs after pick 13 will get penalised instead.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
james rose
Club Player

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years. I'm not sure clubs should have to give something up, kind of defeats the purpose of the system.

Salary cap combined with likely paying overs to poach stars should keep it all in balance imo.

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

That's not quite right though. If Essendon were to lose say Monfries and one other player under free agency, they would likely receive no compensation, having made a "net gain" in picking up Goddard. In that scenario, Ess loses Monfries +1, gains Goddard St Kilda loses Goddard, gains (hopefully) pick 13.

Of course, if Essendon don't lose any players due to free agency, then it's a different kettle of fish. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Port may not be so keen to take a Monfries if it limits their compensation for losing Chaplin and Pearce.

In the end it's just too hard to see what the cost/gain scenario looks like day 1 of free agency opening - but I think in the end clubs will have to "lose" something - even if it's just to create the necessary salary cap space for their 'gun' new signing.

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Essendon look like losing quite a few depth players as a result.

Maybe we can take Pears off their hands for a very late pick as a favour to them :-) Maybe pick 125?

paddy
Club Player

FA will become the plug for clubs who are about to have a serious tilt.

I think we will see young clubs (like melbourne, GCS) front load all of their contracts, so that when they are in a position to really have a crack they will load up on stars with all their salary cap space.

At least we should see a variety of clubs having a crack, because clubs like the dons have spent their money now, for the next 4 years.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

On the radio they all seem uncertain what our compensation will be. Is there any chance it will be better than pick 13?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:On the radio they all seem uncertain what our compensation will be. Is there any chance it will be better than pick 13?
Band 1 compensation is stated as a first round selection and the general assumptions made is that pick would fall after our pick 12 however the rules aren't 100% clear. We know band 1 won't be end of first round cos that comes under band 2 compensation. I would be very surprised if band 1 compo was anything but a selection after our first pick.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:On the radio they all seem uncertain what our compensation will be. Is there any chance it will be better than pick 13?
Band 1 compensation is stated as a first round selection and the general assumptions made is that pick would fall after our pick 12 however the rules aren't 100% clear. We know band 1 won't be end of first round cos that comes under band 2 compensation. I would be very surprised if band 1 compo was anything but a selection after our first pick.
Cheers OM. :D

bhtay1

Not 100% sure what the rules are in baseball but I'm pretty sure when i read moneyball a couple of years ago the rules in MLB are if club A poaches one of Club B's best players, then club B receives club A's first round pick (and possible a compensation pick at the end of round 1 on top of that depending on how good the player is ie Jason Giambi defection from Oakland A's to Yankees)
- so we would have received pick 10(plus possible pick 20) in the BJ circumstance from Essendon.. a better outcome given it takes something away from the biggest poaching team as well!

However I'm not 100% sure if these are the rules and I'm not particularly keen to read through MLB free agency laws in my free time haha

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

As plugger commented elsewhere, if you had to lose something it would be nothing more than a trade. Like we’ve always had. And you’d have us saying we want Hurley and the Bombers saying you can have pick 2,874.

It’s Free Agency. We don’t have to like it; we do have to accept it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I tend to think we need to let the dust settle before we can declare if FA is going to be an unfair advantage to the strong clubs.

here is my take. There is a SC for each club. The Judd type Visy deals are being stopped.

A club that pays overs for a footballer, say 3 mill over four years :wink: , runs the risk of

a) losing depth players immediately to accommodate the FA player on their HUGE salary
b) losing FA in seasons to come because of SC issues due to offering a FA say 3 mill over 4 years :wink:

So if not managed correctly it can be very dangerous to the SC.

Also the club who has offered say 3 mill over four years to a player undeserving of that has to deal with a player who is the top paid player in the club, ahead of even a brownlow medallist captain, and also has to deal with the fallout of good clubmen leaving because of the new FA who demanded their HUGE $$$$$

I really dont think we can comment on if a club like Essendon has done not given up anything until we see the final outcome of FA, trade week and ND, and then possibly next season if they have SC issues.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of couches - maybe SKFC can throw in a free psych session with every membership for 2013.
Lord knows we all need one per season!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I tend to think we need to let the dust settle before we can declare if FA is going to be an unfair advantage to the strong clubs.

here is my take. There is a SC for each club. The Judd type Visy deals are being stopped.

A club that pays overs for a footballer, say 3 mill over four years :wink: , runs the risk of

a) losing depth players immediately to accommodate the FA player on their HUGE salary
b) losing FA in seasons to come because of SC issues due to offering a FA say 3 mill over 4 years :wink:

So if not managed correctly it can be very dangerous to the SC.

Also the club who has offered say 3 mill over four years to a player undeserving of that has to deal with a player who is the top paid player in the club, ahead of even a brownlow medallist captain, and also has to deal with the fallout of good clubmen leaving because of the new FA who demanded their HUGE $$$$$

I really dont think we can comment on if a club like Essendon has done not given up anything until we see the final outcome of FA, trade week and ND, and then possibly next season if they have SC issues.
Only if the salary cap and third party deals are properly managed by the AFL.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The AFL will give us a comp pick but they could've chucked his cousin Hugh in for good measure :)
What worries me is that Scott said he would be staggered if we got anything less than pick 13 in the draft.

What worries me the AFL who makes the decision at the end of the trade period will give us pick 25-30, just another way to try and screw this football club.