Didn't we beat that team.....?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Didn't we beat that team.....?

Is that the same Sydney we demolished at Ethihad this year?? Frustrating that our best was very good but still couldn't make finals.

Granted, Sydney are much better with Goodes and Mumford and no Walsh.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Didn't we beat that team.....?

Who's Walsh?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Who's Walsh?
Wayne Walsh

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
andrewg
Club Player

Tom Walsh played against us this year was absolutely rubbish, subbed off around half time. Pretty sure he played for Sandrigham last couple of years before getting a permanent spot in the Sydney Reserves team.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

We always seem to knock off the season's premiers during the home and away season.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:We always seem to knock off the season's premiers during the home and away season.
2008 - beat the Hawks at Etihad (come from 28 points down at halftime)
2009 - beat Geelong at Etihad
2010 - beat Collingwood at Etihad when Roo done his hammy tear thingo
2011 - got beaten by Geelong in the last 30 seconds of the game
2012 - beat Sydney.

Just says we have been up there abouts the last five years or so.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Todays result shows we can be up there and about a couple more with some good recruiting...

All the more reason to retain BJ

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Just proves that you dont need to bottom out to have another crack.
Trade away while they have currency for better good players that the team needs and draft well and presto.
Not many top ten picks in sydney's team but luck with trades - Mummy, Kennedy, McGlynn, Richards and Co.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:All the more reason to retain BJ
Sadly, that doesn't seem to be amongst the club's top priorities right now.

I'm bracing myself for the heartbreaking news come Monday :cry:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

ROLS-LEE wrote:Trade away while they have currency for better good players that the team needs and draft well and presto.
Sydney have been buyers much more than sellers at the trade table. Dempster and Schneider was a salary dump and Hall was basically booted from the team. Buchanan is the only other player I can think of that they traded. Their first round picks have been a mixed bag as well.

To me, the lesson from Sydney is find players. It doesn't matter where or how, just find players.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Congrats to Sydney - they were certainly the best team in last 4 weeks when it counted, and were good enough during the rest of the season to make the top 4. The game also showed that taking your chances is what Grand finals are all about these days. They kicked 8 straight at one stage. If only.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

We also lost to Port ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:We also lost to Port ...
Shhh!

:wink:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:We also lost to Port ...
Shhh!

:wink:
who lost to the GWS

saint4life
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:Trade away while they have currency for better good players that the team needs and draft well and presto.
Sydney have been buyers much more than sellers at the trade table. Dempster and Schneider was a salary dump and Hall was basically booted from the team. Buchanan is the only other player I can think of that they traded. Their first round picks have been a mixed bag as well.

To me, the lesson from Sydney is find players. It doesn't matter where or how, just find players.
Jolly?, I think there is others as well

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Jolly?, I think there is others as well
Jolly became a star at the Swans.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Terrance80
Club Player

Great win by a great team.. They recruit well and bring guys in to a great culture. Interesting watching Richo interview Mitch morton after the game and he spoke about his year. He said even though he had kicked 80 goals in the twos his team mates didn't fully trust him and he needed to work on his game... He obviously did that and is now a premiership player. There was the stat about how many top 20 picks were in both teams... Hawks had 18 or so.... Swans had 3..!! Best TEAM won the flag this year not necessarily the most talented... Can't help but admire them

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ROLS-LEE wrote:Jolly?
They got Jetta for Jolly and Mumford for a second round pick. They probably don't go after Mumford if Jolly stays. I'll grant you that one worked out very well for them. I don't see a pattern of behaviour though. The specific part of your previous post I take issue with is dealing players while they have currency. For the most part, that hasn't been the Swans way. Kirk retired a Swan, as will Bolton and Goodes. We could go down the list with Craig Bolton, Leo Barry, Tadgh Kennelly, but I'm already bored of it.

IMO, treating champions as champions is the best way to do business. Especially as we enter a free agent era, players will look at how teams treat their star players to inform their decision of where to play. Some will be loyal, some will chase money, but a culture like the Swans will attract (and already has attracted) players who might not have otherwise wanted to move to Sydney. We're not going to build that kind of culture by dealing players to maximise a theoretical list value index.

Yeah nah pleasing positive