Saints leading Caddy race

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints leading Caddy race

Caddy is dictating which club he goes to, it's got nothing to do with the difference between picks 11 and 12 used to get him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Caddy is dictating which club he goes to, it's got nothing to do with the difference between picks 11 and 12 used to get him.
Hope so. Times like these where the old 'Seaford is crap' argument might have some merit....
Im hoping he is mates with Jack Newnes or the Blues throw all their cash at Cloke.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Caddy is dictating which club he goes to, it's got nothing to do with the difference between picks 11 and 12 used to get him.
I'm sure GC will have some say in that...

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
It goes without saying. Unfortunately with petulant twats like Caddy they usually get their own way and from all reports he's more than likely to go to a 'Big 4' club.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Hope so. Times like these where the old 'Seaford is crap' argument might have some merit....
Im hoping he is mates with Jack Newnes or the Blues throw all their cash at Cloke.
There are more highly rated juniors in the top 15 of this draft than Caddy, who I might add is yet to prove himself. Adding to that he was picked up in a compromised draft which saw potential top 10 picks picked up the year before as 17 year old access players by GCS. Don't get me wrong I'd like to get Caddy just not for the reported asking price

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ahhhh..... but if he goes to Carlton at least we still tried our best last game..... we had the moral win.... just can't see how that translates to helping us move forward 6 months from now in a new season...
By getting a gun for pick #13 or whatever we have that rivals Dal Santo and Lenny (both pick #13's) who is ten times better than Caddy.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
suss
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
There are more highly rated juniors in the top 15 of this draft than Caddy, who I might add is yet to prove himself. Adding to that he was picked up in a compromised draft which saw potential top 10 picks picked up the year before as 17 year old access players by GCS. Don't get me wrong I'd like to get Caddy just not for the reported asking price
I've only seen him play once...and I was reasonably impressed. And I like the idea of getting a 20 year old rather than a 17-18 year old who might take a few years to come on. Is it seriously likely that a better mid would still be there at pick 12/13? Interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who with an idea of the draft depth this year.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I'm looking forward to seeing just how highly sort after Caddy is once trade season really heats up...

At this rate, he'll be the next Judd, Hayes and GAJ combined, and the club that is ever so lucky enough to get him will be installed as flag favorites...

Lets just take a deep breath. If we get him, great. If we don't, lets invest in some young talent through the draft and watch them come good..

This time of year really makes champions out of GOP's... More and more each year..

Sobraz
SS Life Member

If Caddy is worth a top 10 pick, Sip must be worth the number 1 pick then... Has shown 10 times more than Caddy at the same age...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing just how highly sort after Caddy is once trade season really heats up...

At this rate, he'll be the next Judd, Hayes and GAJ combined, and the club that is ever so lucky enough to get him will be installed as flag favorites...

Lets just take a deep breath. If we get him, great. If we don't, lets invest in some young talent through the draft and watch them come good..

This time of year really makes champions out of GOP's... More and more each year..

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
St Ick wrote:Free agency rules are unfair. If BJ leaves, and we pick up another FA, our compensation will be affected to the point to where a first round pick becomes second or third round. So why is it that our compensation is affected but a club simply picking up players doesnt give up anything?

Im keen as on Caddy, watched him a bit this year and is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were, if he was to come to us he would be at the top of the list in under 21 year olds.

Now one last thought, if we were able to keep BJ, would we be happy to get Caddy with our first rounder assuming we have space in our cap as has been reported?
Yes I would give up the first round DP for Caddy, subject to a medical - if Goddard stays, which I hope he does.....
You would hope that he would pass a medical considering he is what...20?

That being said it is a no-brainer as to throwing our first-rounder at him. Two years of development essentially we do not have to spend on him and he should be good enough to go and at the very least play a minor part of our 22.

That being said I would not expect much of him first season though as all players take a wee while to develop.
Yes I know Caddy is only 20 - reason I mentioned subject to medical is, in his first season 2011, I believe he had groin surgery and a stress fracture in his foot before finally debuting in the last round. Both those injuries could be a concern.
Even this year he apparently was restricted in some matches.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

They could also mean - wait until he is not injured - he will tear it up!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Rather than chase Caddy we should offer WC pick 13, if we have it, for Mitch Brown and Ash Smith maybe Stevens.
I would prefer Smith.
Solid Mid and Key Defender.
However, if we keep BJ we should just keep pick 12 for the best kid we can grab.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

What is worth more? Caddy, or Toy/Hickey packaged together. I really cant picture where Toy sits regarding trade week.

The more clubs associated with these young 'guns' the more I am considering that its going to cost too much but I would still like to be there abouts just not paying overs. As long as we go for quality and not a GOP to fill a gap then I will be happy.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I think Hickey would come relatively cheap, possibly a third rounder. There's talk that Toy will be delisted if a club isn't found for him. He was highly rated as a junior however he doesn't get enough of the ball. Good user though. I think Toy will come packaged with another player or at least very cheap.

It looks like Caddy is going to cost too much. Analysing this years draft, I'd be mighty pissed off if we used pick 12 or BJ's compo pick on him. We're better off hitting the draft and picking the best avail/on a needs basis.

Another rumour: We're into Dave Myers from the Bombers who has huge potential however has been injury prone. Probably get him for a second rounder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Fail to get this mate thing at all. I thought you think BJ is going. Mate thing may be the most overated thing in AFL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I think Hickey would come relatively cheap, possibly a third rounder. There's talk that Toy will be delisted if a club isn't found for him. He was highly rated as a junior however he doesn't get enough of the ball. Good user though. I think Toy will come packaged with another player or at least very cheap.

It looks like Caddy is going to cost too much. Analysing this years draft, I'd be mighty pissed off if we used pick 12 or BJ's compo pick on him. We're better off hitting the draft and picking the best avail/on a needs basis.

Another rumour: We're into Dave Myers from the Bombers who has huge potential however has been injury prone. Probably get him for a second rounder.
old mate you sound like you know a lot of stuff!
im loving it. keep up the good work.
p.s dave myers would fit into pelchen's profile for going for injury prone meat-axes.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I think Hickey would come relatively cheap, possibly a third rounder. There's talk that Toy will be delisted if a club isn't found for him. He was highly rated as a junior however he doesn't get enough of the ball. Good user though. I think Toy will come packaged with another player or at least very cheap.

p.s dave myers would fit into pelchen's profile for going for injury prone meat-axes.
No to Myers as he hasn't played more than 13 games in a season after 5/6 years.

Just no.

The folks that might want him would be the folks that were still cranky that Hamill was shoved out the door after not playing for two seasons.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I think Toy will get plenty of clubs wanting to give something for him. The thing is that GC wont want 3rd or 4th rounders, unless the can package them for a pick. Thats why I asked as I reckon we can get a decent package.

Anyway, tell me about Myers? All I ever hear about is Dons trying to offload defenders! Which ones are any good?

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Very true about GC not wanting 3/4 round picks seeing as though they will likely use three picks only. Toy will get a second chance cos of his credentials as a junior. The clubs interested will be hoping that his lack of form is due to being homesick and he can live up to his potential. The thing with Toy is that as a junior he was big bodied and really dominated his fellow juniors, a lot due to his size advantage. I'm not sold on him making it at AFL level.

Myers seems to injury prone for mine and we've been bitten by the Bombers in the past. I'd stay away.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Very true about GC not wanting 3/4 round picks seeing as though they will likely use three picks only. Toy will get a second chance cos of his credentials as a junior. The clubs interested will be hoping that his lack of form is due to being homesick and he can live up to his potential. The thing with Toy is that as a junior he was big bodied and really dominated his fellow juniors, a lot due to his size advantage. I'm not sold on him making it at AFL level.

Myers seems to injury prone for mine and we've been bitten by the Bombers in the past. I'd stay away.
I do not trust Bombers at all. As you said its a case of once bitten twice shy.

I dare say its not unusual for bigger bodied juniors to struggle in their first few years. Its unique as we expect these kids to kill it but they are just kids playing a mans game. Its risky but if his skills are that good, he will probably just be a late bloomer when he gets his head and body sorted. I am no expert but if he was steak knives in a Caddy &/or Hickey deal then I will go for it.

In order, I'd go for Caddy, Hickey, Brown, Giles, Toy and maybe Chaplin. I wonder if we could pick up Menzel and his brother ala Joel Smith or Prismall (latter not that good). Hell I've got to stop dribbling the proverbial...

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's been confirmed that Troy Menzel only did his PCL and not ACL so he would be back to full training by the time pre season training begins. Not good signs considering as a 16 year old he did his ACL and went with Lars surgery. A real risk however big, big reward if it paid off. He would easily go top 5 if not for his knee troubles now he could slip to our first pick. Someone will certainly take the risk on him, he's too damn talented.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would look at Jake Stringer, big bodied forward with a healed broken leg he came back and kicked 9 goals in a game for bendigo.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Teflon wrote:
It goes without saying. Unfortunately with petulant twats like Caddy they usually get their own way and from all reports he's more than likely to go to a 'Big 4' club.

Petulant?

Pretty sure he is coming home because of a sick family member.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would look at Jake Stringer, big bodied forward with a healed broken leg he came back and kicked 9 goals in a game for bendigo.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
What the hell is the "Academy's European tour"?

I find it strange that a high draft prospect spends the entire season leading up to being drafted, overseas… WTF, makers it pretty hard for recruiters to rate him if they saw him for one match.

The other alarming thing from that article I noticed…

"Fremantle champion Matthew Pavlich was overlooked by all AFL clubs as a 17-year-old in 1998 before Fremantle selected him at choice No.4 in 1999."

Might have to get Stinger and BigMart onto that, can we start up a thread asking why all of the recruiters were so dumb again?