If we lose bj.... Was thinking what we could do come trade w

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Re: If we lose bj.... Was thinking what we could do come tra

Brown is a key defender not a ruckman, so 195 cm is more than sufficient size wise.

Junior
Club Player

Thought Jesse Hogan was only available in the mini draft through GWS.

Too young for the National Draft, so we are no chance of getting him.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:I'm with you on Mitch Brown.
A Victorian lad who is turning 24 in December. He has spent 6 years on West Coast's list so he has the body. (195cm, 94kg).
Was a first round draft pick in 2006 so there is obviously some talent there. However he is quite injury prone.
He will find it hard to break into the West Coast team with Glass, Mackenzie, Schofield all ahead of him.
Worth a look in my opinion

He's 24yrs old, and 195cm he aint gettin any taller.

I want someone who is around 200cm, we must have an even chance of getting to the ball first.
Most future ruckmen will be around this height.
In the FUTURE ruck men will be replaced by titanium ruck machines that run on solar power - remember where you heard it first!

Look again it's the Flash!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would look at Khan Haratuku who has become a decent player away from Sandy. Could be a handy leigh Brown type ruck forward to fill in around the ground and would come as a mature rookie or a late national draft pick.

St Loxton
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:I'm with you on Mitch Brown.
A Victorian lad who is turning 24 in December. He has spent 6 years on West Coast's list so he has the body. (195cm, 94kg).
Was a first round draft pick in 2006 so there is obviously some talent there. However he is quite injury prone.
He will find it hard to break into the West Coast team with Glass, Mackenzie, Schofield all ahead of him.
Worth a look in my opinion

He's 24yrs old, and 195cm he aint gettin any taller.

I want someone who is around 200cm, we must have an even chance of getting to the ball first.
Most future ruckmen will be around this height.

He is a FB.

Yeah no worries, for some reason i thought we were looking at him as a ruck. I dont know a lot about this fella.
Sounds a good size for a KP.

sax
Club Player

What I'd like to see.

One of our WA players to West Coast for Mitch Brown.

2nd Round pick & maybe a player or 3rd rounder (more than likely not a player) to Gold Coast for Tom Hickey & Josh Toy

A player (maybe Terry Milera, I only say him because he's from Port) to Port for Ben Jacobs (Who I think is as good as Caddy) & maybe 3rd rounder.

If Goddard leaves, this still leaves us with picks 12 & 13, we lose our 2nd rounder + two/three players & maybe up grade our 3rd rounder. Plus we get a KPD (Brown), a Ruck/Fwd (Hickey), a potential Ball Magnet with a great left foot (Jacobs) & a star junior with a very high ceiling & silky skills (Toy), with Brown being the oldest at 23, Hickey 21, Jacobs & Toy both 20.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:What I'd like to see.

2nd Round pick & maybe a player or 3rd rounder (more than likely not a player) to Gold Coast for Tom Hickey & Josh Toy

A player (maybe Terry Milera, I only say him because he's from Port) to Port for Ben Jacobs (Who I think is as good as Caddy) & maybe 3rd rounder.

If Goddard leaves, this still leaves us with picks 12 & 13, we lose our 2nd rounder + two/three players & maybe up grade our 3rd rounder. Plus we get a KPD (Brown), a Ruck/Fwd (Hickey), a potential Ball Magnet with a great left foot (Jacobs) & a star junior with a very high ceiling & silky skills (Toy), with Brown being the oldest at 23, Hickey 21, Jacobs & Toy both 20.
One things for sure, we need to address our need for a back-up ruckman and a key defender. I'm not sold on Brown, he seems to injury prone and would likely cost us our second round pick. Why not look at someone like Kyle Hartigan who we could pick up late in the draft or even rookie?

I hope we keep Milera, surely he will continue to improve with another AFL pre season under his belt?

Personally I hope we do very little at the trade table and back our recruiters to pick up some top talent. I certainly hope that we don't part ways with our first pick as well as the BJ compensation if he goes.

Another thing to consider is other free agents such as Raph Clarke. Most would suggest that no other clubs will be interested in him however in the unlikely event that he is picked up we would be assured of (at least) a third round pick for losing him. That could be used in a trade.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The only WA player on our list the Egg Rolls would even contemplate for Mitch Brown would be Jamie Cripps and I cant see him levaing.
I think Toy might be no good. So im inclined to go with old mates strategy:

1. Let BJ go and trust Siposs to fill his role as quarter back/utility.
2. Try to get some real young guns with picks 12 and 13.
3. Spend later picks on mature guys like a Ruckman and a Hartigan.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

The only WA player on our list the Egg Rolls would even contemplate for Mitch Brown would be Jamie Cripps and I cant see him levaing.

Part one of your solution included replacing BJ with a kid pick way down the draft order.
Part 3 says get in mature guys with our s*** picks. Which is what we constantly critisised Lyon for doing. Peake, Polo, Pattison etc.

If we get someone Im all for a bloke under 23 but we are going to have to pay top dollar to get ths quality talent. No more list cloggers please.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Part one of your solution included replacing BJ with a kid pick way down the draft order.
Part 3 says get in mature guys with our s*** picks. Which is what we constantly critisised Lyon for doing. Peake, Polo, Pattison etc.

If we get someone Im all for a bloke under 23 but we are going to have to pay top dollar to get ths quality talent. No more list cloggers please.
Well drafting aint an exact science thats for sure. Im working on the theory that we finally we have some decent recruitment resources/staff at the club (im probably kidding myself) so we should maximise our chances with high picks in a good draft....

And yeah we have been super lucky with a few our later picks . The state of our list would be pretty woeful without the likes of Fisher, Siposs, Stanley, Simpkin, Gwilt - all late picks.

So im just coming up with a strategy that is lower risk than other possible strategies. But I concede every possible strategy anyone can think of is full of risks.
Frankly we just need to get lucky with 12 (and 13) and I'm willing to roll the dice this year.

defacto
Club Player

why are people obsessed with mitch brown. *sigh*

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:why are people obsessed with mitch brown. *sigh*
and what has he done to be called a s*** bloke?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!