Geelong has joined the queue for Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geelong has joined the queue for Goddard

Personally I think it goes like this:

He wants 4 we offer 3. Money is reasonably agreeable on both sides.
Everyone agrees to test the water and see what's out there.
He comes back with the 4th year that he is willing to accept, we then decided to match or release him.

Why offer more than you need or the market is willing to pay, as long as you do it in a non-insulting way, which publicly at least is what it seems.

I reckon the club wants to cash in on him myself, not the other way round.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Personally I think it goes like this:

He wants 4 we offer 3. Money is reasonably agreeable on both sides.
Everyone agrees to test the water and see what's out there.
He comes back with the 4th year that he is willing to accept, we then decided to match or release him.

Why offer more than you need or the market is willing to pay, as long as you do it in a non-insulting way, which publicly at least is what it seems.

I reckon the club wants to cash in on him myself, not the other way round.

I agree. Lets be brutally honest here -

We only have 2 players who would earn us a first round draft-pick under the AFL compensation rules for Free Agency- Goddard and Roo.
Roo is contracted - so he wouldnt leave the club by choice - and given his age and knee no-one would trade a first round pick for him.
This leaves Goddard.
The age profile of our list is very very weighted towards >28 - this was exemplified by the top 10 in the B & F ( + Milney)
Pelchen would be very very keen to get 2 x first round picks and bring in some quality younger players.
So they are prepared to let BJ walk.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I agree. Lets be brutally honest here -

We only have 2 players who would earn us a first round draft-pick under the AFL compensation rules for Free Agency- Goddard and Roo.
Some guys named Lenny, Leigh & Nicky D have 8 All Australians between them… I would say that any of them leaving via FA, would also give us a first round compo…

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Being brutally honest would put BJ behind Dal Santo, who is 3 times All Australian, twice Brownlow runner up, v's BJ's 2 AA and nothing of note in the Brownlow count...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

Being brutally honest would put BJ behind Dal Santo, who is 3 times All Australian, twice Brownlow runner up, v's BJ's 2 AA and nothing of note in the Brownlow count...
And both have no B&F's to their name. Fisher, Riewoldt and Hayes have been hogging that award for the past 7 seasons.

Realistically Dal Santo and Goddard are the only two that offer top compensation, the others are too old.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

I rate Dal ahead of BJ. Im just saying based on AFL formula. Age + B anf F finish - then BJ is rated ahead on that measure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

I rate Dal ahead of BJ. Im just saying based on AFL formula. Age + B and F finish - then BJ is rated ahead on that measure.
Would we get a first rounder for len-dog from AFL? id be amazed if we did given his age.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

One thing I know Geelong love is tall flankers with good kicking skills

Just look at Enright, Corey, Bartel, Menzel and Duncan

And Bj fits into that category

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:One thing I know Geelong love is tall flankers with good kicking skills

We prefer tall flankers that get run down and can't kick good…
Suck on these Geelong…
Clarke, Gilbert, Ray, Peake, Winmar,

Love the look of Menzel b.t.w. shame his knees have failed so far.
I wonder if we'll be any chance for his brother?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:One thing I know Geelong love is tall flankers with good kicking skills

They may love to have him but I doubt they would love to pay him more than we're offering.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

We prefer tall flankers that get run down and can't kick good…
Suck on these Geelong…
Clarke, Gilbert, Ray, Peake, Winmar,

Love the look of Menzel b.t.w. shame his knees have failed so far.
I wonder if we'll be any chance for his brother?
Menzel could easily slide to us seeing as though he's had similar injuries to his older brother.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

How can Geelong be in the hunt?
They say they don't pay anyone over 500K but unless they do they cannot even get a sniff at BJ.
So either Brian Cook is telling Porkies about their salary structure, they are willing to blow it completely apart or they are not in for BJ.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:How can Geelong be in the hunt?
They say they don't pay anyone over 500K but unless they do they cannot even get a sniff at BJ.
So either Brian Cook is telling Porkies about their salary structure, they are willing to blow it completely apart or they are not in for BJ.

Or they are offering 5 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

They do like red heads....

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

If the club really wants to get rid of him, then why are they "fighting hard to keep him," and why has "Scott Watters been in extensive talks with him."

BJ has just become a St.k.f.c life member. He can now become an all-time St.Kilda legend, and possibly in the next 3-4 years, become a St.Kilda premiership captain, playing alongside his mates who've remained loyal to each other first and foremost, and as a by-product of that to the St.kilda football club.

I don't buy that it's all about dollars, that their is no loyalty, no tribal-spirit in the game of football. That is football in its essence, that is what football is all about, that is what life is all about, and if this comes down to 3 million instead of 2 million over 3 years and he walks, then honestly BJ has no idea where his priorities should lie and what his greatest investments really are - his relationship with his mates, friends, etc, and the choices he makes that declare what he stands for.

BJ, pumping his fist to his heart, to the st.kilda emblem, as he kicks a clutch goal. BJ, declaring his love and commitment to the st.kilda football club. BJ, always described as the most loyal of blokes, as someone who really loves the club, as a true St.Kilda person.

So just WTF exactly is going on here?!?!?!?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We gotta keep Goddard however at the right price. I don't understand why we can't offer him 4 years with his final year being a slight pay cut. Not sure if BJ would go for it but we keep hearing that the contract length is the sticking point. Why not pay him 600k x 3 and then 400 x 1....? 2.2 Mill over 4 years seems fair IMO. BJ is durable, I could see him playing for quite a while yet.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:He'll probably get paid in Falcons

he's not long scored a nice new Beemer........ and new linen

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
santazzi
Club Player

slider wrote:A mate of mine last night said Brisbane are after him? i dont know where all these rumours come from.
Until he decides what hes doing its just that, all rumours.

If he goes he goes and if he stays he stays.
All rumours start right here on Saintsational!!!!.............watch ........in a couple of days journos will report as "strong rumour" that BJ is linked with Brisbane.............and no one will guess that you and your mate started it all...........

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:Amazing how rumours gain traction and bj was already at freemantle.
Like all players that leave us, I'd be disappointed if they win a flag at another
club but not so much with beej.
The guy I begrudge the most I reckon is Luke ball who by stating his preferred
club so strongly ensured we lost him and received nothing.
I think RL's stubbornness had a lot to do with why we received nothing for Luke Ball, we were offered players from Collingwood to do the deal.
But RL being the d**khead that he is refused to budge, which left Bally no other option than to nominate a club.
Just a wild theory...but I think it was Drain who was in charge of the trading then.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:If the club really wants to get rid of him, then why are they "fighting hard to keep him," and why has "Scott Watters been in extensive talks with him."
It's called PR, can't be seen to be letting a club favourite walk.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:We gotta keep Goddard however at the right price. I don't understand why we can't offer him 4 years with his final year being a slight pay cut. Not sure if BJ would go for it but we keep hearing that the contract length is the sticking point. Why not pay him 600k x 3 and then 400 x 1....? 2.2 Mill over 4 years seems fair IMO. BJ is durable, I could see him playing for quite a while yet.
I suspect what BJ is trying to do is ensure now that he's still on top money in four years time. Obviously if he signed a three year deal and he was still worth the money after that, he'd continue to get it. But if he drops off or has injury problems then he's not going to command that money. He wants the guarantee of being paid 600k+ for four year, while we don't want to risk paying overs in the future because of poor contract management (eg Hamill, Gram, Kosi).

St Kilda has been in a compromised position regarding salary cap for a long, long time. While teams like Hawthorn and Collingwood have been able to trade in quality players (Jolly, Tarrant, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne etc) to make weaknesses into strengths, we have been stuck paying 6-8 players way more than they're worth.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Geelong keep harping on about going hard in the Free agency race- it's just to look assertive so noone looks into their free agents. They are going hunting for anyone that looks a little available then offer them jack leaving them looking tough while hiding their soft targets.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

You gotta love this period of nothingness between seasons end for clubs that aren't in the running and the trade period..

it's just rife with speculative bulldust... i know to keep a forum active it's needed but until anything happens it's all
bulldust...

it's almost like half the forum are apprentice journalists, that's the level of bulldust floating around..... :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I suspect what BJ is trying to do is ensure now that he's still on top money in four years time. Obviously if he signed a three year deal and he was still worth the money after that, he'd continue to get it. But if he drops off or has injury problems then he's not going to command that money. He wants the guarantee of being paid 600k+ for four year, while we don't want to risk paying overs in the future because of poor contract management (eg Hamill, Gram, Kosi).
spot on. he wants what's best for him, which is to get paid for as long as possible regardless of form/injury. if he was confident of being fit and playing well in 2016 then he should be happy with three years, but of course he can't be confident of that. neither can we, which is why we just can't guarantee him big money that year.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:spot on. he wants what's best for him, which is to get paid for as long as possible regardless of form/injury. if he was confident of being fit and playing well in 2016 then he should be happy with three years, but of course he can't be confident of that. neither can we, which is why we just can't guarantee him big money that year.
And it's where Watters is coming from when he talks about never putting the individual before the team. We could desperately hold onto our stars to the detriment to the salary cap, but the new regime under Watters and Pelchen isn't going to do that.

BJ is a tough case though. He's a versatile player with elite skills. We know his best is probably worth 800k per season, but his output over the last two years has been worth perhaps 450k. He has been very durable and may well still be playing very good footy into his 30's, but he could also continue to struggle with taggers or cop one big knock that causes injury problems for the rest of his career. I agree with what St Kilda is doing at the moment; it's not worth the risk of being stuck with another underperforming player on big money down the line when the cap space could be used to address other deficiencies. If he walks, so be it - but for god's sake get something good in return.