This guy (Rossy) can't coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: This guy (Rossy) can't coach

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I couldnt be bothered looking but my bet is you called him a great coach when he was at our club and I also would think you wouldnt have that criteria after making 2 GF's in a row. I suppose he has left now so he is worse than he was.
Not worse, in fact this year has coached much better than last.

Sorry but all I heard from you last year was how our game plan had changed and until the last game I cant remember you saying he made any mistakes. he has left now though so if we get a chance to knock him we should.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I couldnt be bothered looking but my bet is you called him a great coach when he was at our club and I also would think you wouldnt have that criteria after making 2 GF's in a row. I suppose he has left now so he is worse than he was.

Sorry but all I heard from you last year was how our game plan had changed and until the last game I cant remember you saying he made any mistakes. he has left now though so if we get a chance to knock him we should.
You're not making sense.

Of course the game plan changed last year.

We played on at a much higher % than previously, he determined last year that he needed to change it up.

Only difference, is that at the Dockers, they can use the footy and don't turn it over as much as our guys.

His coaching that was poor last year was in regards to reluctance to change personnel, positions, and ultimately the 'same old' about the side was it's undoing.

Please stop being argumentative just for the sake of it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

You're not making sense.

We played on at a much higher % than previously, he determined last year that he needed to change it up.

Only difference, is that at the Dockers, they can use the footy and don't turn it over as much as our guys.

His coaching that was poor last year was in regards to reluctance to change personnel, positions, and ultimately the 'same old' about the side was it's undoing.

And you please stop changing your history about RL now that he gone. All you did previously is stick up for everything he did.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Silvangni, Johnson, Ibbotson, Dawson, McPhee, Clarke (for starters) are, how shall I put it(?)... 'suspect' under pressure.
Pav and Sandilands not much time left.
Barlow good player, very poor kick.
Mundy very good player, poor to average kick (people hassle our Jack from Lorne, but his field kicking is at least as good as Mundy's and his shooting for goal is much better).
Ballantyne isn't a dud but is overrated - a very poor man's Milney.
I've undoubtly missed other glaring issues at that club, but can't be bothered forcing myself to look at purple puke any longer to come up with any more...

Given all this, Ro$$y has done a great job, but he's no fool and he''ll be aware of these issues..., and given that I can't believe any AFL club would be as bereft of options as to appoint Alfred E Neuman as their senior coach (surely not?)..., then for mine...

Best post I've read on here for a while...
Hurricane wrote:Im wondering what the bet is that Ro$$ will wind up at Port Adelaide this time next week.

BANG BANG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You're not making sense.

And you please stop changing your history about RL now that he gone. All you did previously is stick up for everything he did.
Happens to alot of supporters. Once a person leaves the club, apprently tghey have achieved nothing and are no good at their job.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Well done to Ross Lyon, made Fremantle a very good team. Watch out next year. The man can coach, his gameplan is made for finals as well. He will win a premiership with Freo, i know it. Fremantle this year is so different too last year. He has turned it around remarkably.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

clarky449 wrote:Well done to Ross Lyon, made Fremantle a very good team. Watch out next year. The man can coach, his gameplan is made for finals as well. He will win a premiership with Freo, i know it. Fremantle this year is so different too last year. He has turned it around remarkably.
I don't get this sort of Ro$$ love. Freo made the second week of the finals two years ago. Everyone knew they were on an upward curve. Last year they were riddled with injuries. So why is Ro$$ suddenly the league's supercoach? An impressive late-season comeback? Did it seem more impressive than it really was because the first half of the season was so average?

Anyway, people have short attention spans. Pavlich kicked a few last week and was being hailed as on of the all-time greats. This week, not a sausage.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Well done to Ross Lyon, made Fremantle a very good team. Watch out next year. The man can coach, his gameplan is made for finals as well. He will win a premiership with Freo, i know it. Fremantle this year is so different too last year. He has turned it around remarkably.
You should check out Clarkey on twitter "absolutely gutted" he was/is, yet he's a loyal Saint.

Clarkey - did you buy your blow up Ro$$ Lyon doll online from the Dockers store (Purple Haze??), cause I can't recall it being sold by the Saints Locker.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I think he coached pretty much the same as he always has.

And based on tonight, I reckon he'll do the same next year too.

Freo will play finals for a while. That game plan will continue to be effective against average teams, but they'll remain highly vulnerable against good teams. If Pavlich doesn't dominate and/or don't get Cloke - they'll struggle to kick 70 points each week as per usual.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:I think he coached pretty much the same as he always has.

And based on tonight, I reckon he'll do the same next year too.

Freo will play finals for a while. That game plan will continue to be effective against average teams, but they'll remain highly vulnerable against good teams. If Pavlich doesn't dominate and/or don't get Cloke - they'll struggle to kick 70 points each week as per usual.
This is probably true, if you regularly kick a dozen goals or less you remain vulnerable.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Sanderson coached well. Double teamed Pav and he didnt get the run at the ball that he got last week (take note scott bro no 1)

Last week Freo held their marks, kept their feet, had lots of flukey kicks/handballs that came off but didnt tonight. Put the score on the board in the first quarter then shut the game down.

This week they werent far enough in front for their game plan to work, and Adelaide had their own Pav (walker)

All I could say when it was clear freo wouldnt win was "keep away from our players Ross" cos I have no doubt he will start his usual quest for players from other clubs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Sanderson coached well. Double teamed Pav and he didnt get the run at the ball that he got last week (take note scott bro no 1)

Last week Freo held their marks, kept their feet, had lots of flukey kicks/handballs that came off but didnt tonight. Put the score on the board in the first quarter then shut the game down.

This week they werent far enough in front for their game plan to work, and Adelaide had their own Pav (walker)

All I could say when it was clear freo wouldnt win was "keep away from our players Ross" cos I have no doubt he will start his usual quest for players from other clubs.

And so it should as should every club including ours. Was RL the only coach to chase players from other clubs? Didnt we get hamill anf gehrig in the same years. of course that is different though.

busso mick
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:He has done what he does. He has got a good result off the back of getting a heap of soldiers to support his few elite players, and set the game plan up to maximise the output of the elite.

The problem he now has is the sun setting on his elite. McPharlin's absence tonight was probably the difference. He had no option for Walker. But, McPharlin is awfully close to the end and Pavlich can't maintain this year's output for much longer. Those are the 2 players he has who can be categorised as AFL elite. The other thing that happened for Lyon this year was his mid field coach came up with a way to get advantage out of Sandiland's ruck dominance, but only late in the year. And, how many years has Sandlilands got left (and consider the fact that the Porpoise marked OVER Sandliands to get a shot at goal inside 40 tonight)?

So, Lyon is now faced with what he faced with us, only his few guns are actually older than our guns when he left us. So, what's next Rossie? If anyone doubts that, ask yourself how Freo's year would have been without Pavlich. Then consider he was drafted in the 90's (same year as Aaron Fiora if the memory serves).

Lyon got a good result this year. That means nothing for what's next. Freo have a truck load of $'s from mobs like Woodside, but it means jack shyte in a comp that has a draft and salary cap. Lyon's challenge is to develop players from young, and I don't think he's much good at that.

He won't see out his contract. Then he'll have to find another moneyed club to front end his contract to pay off his "investment" losses so the family doesn't have to live with the grandparents. Don't forget his claim in his first WA newspaper interview that his financial troubles were all caused by a mining company that went broke during the GFC. The only way that was ever true was if he'd leveraged the entire family fortune on a company that was merely speculative. No mining company that was actually mining went broke because of the GFC. He's a teller of porkies or a financial f***wit.

I look forward to his demise. He treated us like crap and was interested only in who could dig him out the financial hole he had dug for himself. Egomaniacal tosser driven by a chipped shoulder.
I wonder how many FMG shares Ro$$y has?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Mind you that's one down for Freo and Ross 4 to go before he starts eyeing the Demons off when their players are ready to challenge

too true, too true.

unless of course he wins a grand final with freo then he will be considered the messiah

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:2 x six day breaks and travel to Melb/back etc played a big part in this result

started to run out of legs just before 1/2 time

Ross can certainly coach.................

given home (earnt) finals Freo will improve their record
I hate to admit it, but consecutive 6 day breaks were the difference in my mind...the way Freo started and the way they tired in the 3rd 4th qters was certainly evident. Adelaide always went into that game having confidence and a belief that they would run out the game stronger...The AFL's fixturing sucks, even when it comes to finals...Tough luck Rossco!! Suck it up you turd...you deserve it!!

Hats off to the way Freo played this year and the way the played their finals. Ross has learnt some lessons and no-doubt most good coaches continually learn on the job. It's a shame that he f***ed up when Saints had our best chance to win the ultimate.

Great win loss ratio- great game plan - great preparation of players - but he has his weaknesses and history will only say good coach

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
chook23 wrote:2 x six day breaks and travel to Melb/back etc played a big part in this result

started to run out of legs just before 1/2 time

Ross can certainly coach.................

given home (earnt) finals Freo will improve their record
I hate to admit it, but consecutive 6 day breaks were the difference in my mind...the way Freo started and the way they tired in the 3rd 4th qters was certainly evident. Adelaide always went into that game having confidence and a belief that they would run out the game stronger...The AFL's fixturing sucks, even when it comes to finals...Tough luck Rossco!! Suck it up you turd...you deserve it!!

Hats off to the way Freo played this year and the way the played their finals. Ross has learnt some lessons and no-doubt most good coaches continually learn on the job. It's a shame that he f***ed up when Saints had our best chance to win the ultimate.

Great win loss ratio- great game plan - great preparation of players - but he has his weaknesses and history will only say good coach

Amazing that people who arent biased rate him easily in the top 3 in the AFL and usually top 2. Must only have good coaches at the moment and not great ones. Still havent worked out how RL f***ed up at the Saints but in hindsight there will always be people who can find something.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote: I wonder how many FMG shares Ro$$y has?
Heard on radio during the week he is still in partnership with SOS in apub in melbourne. so maybe he can brush up on the bar skills.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
busso mick wrote: I wonder how many FMG shares Ro$$y has?
Heard on radio during the week he is still in partnership with SOS in apub in melbourne. so maybe he can brush up on the bar skills.

Why?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Sanderson coached well. Double teamed Pav and he didnt get the run at the ball that he got last week
He'll run Pav into the ground like he did with Rooey.

Ross leaving has extended Roo's career by a couple of years IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mullet wrote:Sanderson coached well. Double teamed Pav and he didnt get the run at the ball that he got last week

I thought Rooy played that way for at least 8 years. Pav has certainly run less in the last 10 weeks. If anything RL have given him much less time on the ball than Harvey did.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I thought Rooy played that way for at least 8 years. Pav has certainly run less in the last 10 weeks. If anything RL have given him much less time on the ball than Harvey did.
Yes but he allows the double team. Expects Pav to beat two and probably three players. Predictable and ineffective.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Yes but he allows the double team. Expects Pav to beat two and probably three players. Predictable and ineffective.

Did you post that the last 10 weeks?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Happens to alot of supporters. Once a person leaves the club, apprently tghey have achieved nothing and are no good at their job.
Yawn.

You guys read what you want to read.

I said he is a very good coach, coached as well as he ever has this year.

Whatever you have to tell yourselves to ensure you get a chance to be his self appointed defenders.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do people see Freo sustaining this dominance for longer than the year or so that the Saints did?

It's a strong game plan, but it appears to be mentally and physically fatiguing over a period of time.

I know Sandilands has had a bad run of injury, but I still think I'd prefer Gardiner, as he cared...and had the personality to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Still havent worked out how RL f***ed up at the Saints but in hindsight there will always be people who can find something.
There were plenty of Saints supporters and neutral supporters who saw what was unfolding in 2009 who thought that he f***ed up the best chance we had for a flag in 40 years. Opposition teams knew how to play against Roo and Kos and Milne and we relied too heavily on these guys.

He f***ed up with team selection, he f***ed up by not introducing a specialist forward or blooding another player in the forward line and he thought he could stick with the blueprint that he was handed.

They are not hindsight calls. He f***ed up with his handling of Ball in the GF in 2009, he f***ed up with his handling of other players and his penchant for gop from other clubs and there was no balance with a glaringly obvious lack of development of future leaders and future players for the club. You only call them hindsight calls because it suits your argument. You make people out to be stupid because they see things which you say can't be so...Guess what- you're the stupid one