Barrett Gossip Update...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Barrett Gossip Update...

Some interesting...

Goddard - saints offered 600k and 3 yrs...he wants 4 yrs saints will not budge. No offer from Freo....yet

Richmond - into Chaplin from Port and Knights from Adelaide...hhmm...

Saints interested in GC ruckman ...Hickey???????
Last edited by Teflon on Thu 06 Sep 2012 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Barrett Gossip Update...

oh yeah apparently saints desperate to keep Goddard....he wants to stay..but...

“Yeah….nah””
StGoddard18
Club Player

Is anyone able to tell me why he would make such a fuss about wanting 4 years? What's wrong with 3?

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Surely he means 1.8mil over 3 years, and not 200k a year.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Surely he means 1.8mil over 3 years, and not 200k a year.

nope apparently we are playing real hard ball...........

OR

I stuffed up?

you work it out

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Munga wrote:Surely he means 1.8mil over 3 years, and not 200k a year.

nope apparently we are playing real hard ball...........

OR

I stuffed up?

you work it out
I heard it as 600 per year- so yes 1.8 over 3 - are the saints game to add the rol over clause during the 3rd year.?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
savatage
SS Life Member

How the hell is anyone supposed to survive on that kind of coin?

savatage
SS Life Member

StGoddard18 wrote:Is anyone able to tell me why he would make such a fuss about wanting 4 years? What's wrong with 3?
At 31 years of age there is no way he'd be securing that kind of money, so he's obviously trying to get what he can for a big long term deal. Could mean 400,000 clams difference to him at the end of the day.

linmarnic
Club Player

[quote="Teflon"]Some interesting...

Goddard - saints offered 600k and 3 yrs...he wants 4 yrs saints will not budge. No offer from Freo....yet

Richmond - into Chaplin from Port and Knights from Adelaide...hhmm...

Saints interested in GC ruckman ...Hickey???????[/quote]
Tom Hickey's bio from the GC site:

"Hickey started playing football late after being a Queensland junior volleyball representative.

Hickey is a project ruckman who spent most of the season in the reserves before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.

He made a promising debut in round 22 against Adelaide, collecting 14 touches and kicking a goal.

The son of a former top-level Brisbane rugby league player, Hickey joined the GC SUNS as a Queensland Zone priority selection at the end of the 2010 VFL season.

Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.

Draft history: 2010 local talent access selection (Gold Coast)."

Never give up
savatage
SS Life Member

I suppose for pick 131, it wouldn't hurt.

linmarnic
Club Player

savatage wrote:I suppose for pick 131, it wouldn't hurt.
Yeh, agreed. I suppose we would have nothing to lose if we put out a very late draft pick. Worth a punt. I like the last paragraph in is bio.

Never give up
savatage
SS Life Member

He's fit - but the only issue with being new to the game is - does he have a football brain? A late pick based on potential....why not!

We see so many people with the physical attributes....Tommy Walsh is an example - tall, built like a tank, massive kick, quick - but he cannot read the play to save his life.

StGoddard18
Club Player

savatage wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:Is anyone able to tell me why he would make such a fuss about wanting 4 years? What's wrong with 3?
At 31 years of age there is no way he'd be securing that kind of money, so he's obviously trying to get what he can for a big long term deal. Could mean 400,000 clams difference to him at the end of the day.
Ok cool, I understand now. Thank you for that :)

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
StSteven
Club Player

Probably about 600,000 things wrong with it.

linmarnic
Club Player

savatage wrote:He's fit - but the only issue with being new to the game is - does he have a football brain? A late pick based on potential....why not!

We see so many people with the physical attributes....Tommy Walsh is an example - tall, built like a tank, massive kick, quick - but he cannot read the play to save his life.
I assume the new clean hands test mentioned in the bio, which he did well in, means he can take a grab. He may even be a bit like Tippett who also came to footy from another sport. I don't think Tippett is a natural footballer but he can take a grab.

Never give up
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Teflon wrote:...Goddard - saints offered 600k and 3 yrs...he wants 4 yrs saints will not budge. No offer from Freo....yet
Please Saints... no way... do not do this! :shock:

$450K tops!

I know plenty may disagree, but look back at BJ's output since 2010 GF... no way is he worth that.

Would the Hillbillies pay that??? Nor should we.

Thanks for the memories BJ. You will always be welcome back at the club for mine.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Richter
SS Life Member

Remember that BJ counts under the new veterans rule from next year so that's $100k of his salary that does not count under the salary cap. Therefore assuming that he is on $500k now, a salary of $600k pa represents no increase in wage under our cap and a rise for him = WIN/WIN

However, 3 years is fine. 4 is one too many. A reasonable chance that in 3 years he will be a $400k a year player and not a $600k a year player, so offering 4 at $600k is akin to offering the first 3 at $667k and a fourth at $400k.

If he wants 4 years, then fine but then the clubs offer goes down to $550-570k pa

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:$450K tops!
Where did you get that number? That would barely put him in the top-100 salaries. The cap is up around $10M which means the average player makes ~$250K. When you factor in the youngest quarter of your list make about $1M between them, then it's more like $300K-per for the senior guys. That number is going to be even higher for the top players. BJ's an AA calibre player with great skills who can play anywhere on the field. He's going to get paid.

Personally, I think Barrett is full of it. If we get BJ for $600K-per for four we should sign him up as fast as possible. He'd get far more from an optimistic buyer on the open market and he'll get the years. Unless there's some degenerative injury issue I don't know about, he should be still going stong in four years. Plus the cap will have gone up and he'll be on the veterans list. Bargain. Get it done.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

vacuous space wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:$450K tops!
Where did you get that number? That would barely put him in the top-100 salaries. The cap is up around $10M which means the average player makes ~$250K. When you factor in the youngest quarter of your list make about $1M between them, then it's more like $300K-per for the senior guys. That number is going to be even higher for the top players. BJ's an AA calibre player with great skills who can play anywhere on the field. He's going to get paid.

Personally, I think Barrett is full of it. If we get BJ for $600K-per for four we should sign him up as fast as possible. He'd get far more from an optimistic buyer on the open market and he'll get the years. Unless there's some degenerative injury issue I don't know about, he should be still going stong in four years. Plus the cap will have gone up and he'll be on the veterans list. Bargain. Get it done.
Fair question VS. I get it from 3 factors...

1/ His output since the 2010 GF.

2/ His age = very unlikely to improve, quite likely to drop off some more.

3/ The Hillbilly's pay scale (from Brian Cooke) where none of their players are on more than $500K. Also, it's been said (sorry, I don't have a reference) that the likes of Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas aren't on much more than the Hillbilly stars. Apparently even Buddy the Ego is on way less than his standing in the game would make one expect (sorry, again I can't reference that either).

As I posted on another thread, imagine if we had a pay scale set up similar to the Hillbillys going into the 2009/10 GFs? Imagine the boost we could have made to our infamous supposed Achille's Heel 'bottom six'...? :idea:

We need to work towards their pay scale system if we are to compete.

I get the feeling that the Pelican is on the same wavelength also.

PS: If that sort of money 'is to be spent', I'd rather put it towards the likes of a Tippet - power forward and second ruck solved in one... great player that he was, BJ can't offer that. (BTW, Tippet is arguably the Crow's best ruckman, but I think they consider him too valuable to play primarily in that role.)

NB: If anyone who knows more can confirm or deny any of those figures I'd be grateful... either way. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you Dave... $450 tops

It makes you think doesn't it. Here we are a team with extreme SC pressures but who in our team SHOULD be on BIG money.

Riewoldt absolutely (when we last signed him up)
Hayes no doubt
Dal Santo and fisher deserves their pay packet I'm sure

Joey and Milne would be approaching the bigger money too

IMO paying over for guys like Kosi, Goddard, Jones, Gilbert, possibly Monty etc is what has gotten us into this mess

$600k... are you $#!tting me.

Goddard is NOT one of the elite players in the AFL... he should be but he is not

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Wow skeptic are you the club accountant ? How else would you be so up to date with who is getting paid what ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
battye
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is worth 600k pa over 4 years. Very reasonable IMO.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

600 x 3 is fair in my mind.

issue is goddard knows for a fact what gram and kosi got so considers he deserves similar. so if you put yourself in his mind- that seems fair to ask for 6 x 4. understood from that angle.

but if u put urself in saints mgt minds who KNOW they f*cked up with gram and kosi and DONT want to make the same mistake again - you know in their mind they are being fair. understood from that angle.

so we have a dilemma that wouldnt exist of those assholes didnt sign those contracts after 2009.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Saints interested in GC ruckman ...Hickey???????
Heard this back in June and consequently started a thread about him - my source was very adamant that we had put forth an enquiry to GC

Has looked pretty handy in the games I have seen him play and with natural improvement for someone his age and size he is a very exciting prospect

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
DonBakes23

So what would the Saints have to give up get Hickey? I was impressed with his games against us, took a few nice contested marks and kicked a couple.