2013 - Kosi, Wilkes, or someone else?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 - Kosi, Wilkes, or someone else?

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

This year was the first time. You may recall he started the season pretty well. THen McEvoy, Blake, Stanley and Fisher got injured and he had to take on the ruck duties by himself. I think it was around round 7 he injured his ankle again but had to keep playing as we had no one. Watters stated in a recent interview that he doesn't see Koz as a ruckman and he admired him for what he had to do. He has another year on contract and won't be going any where.

I cant remember Kosi doing anymore than about 20% of the ruck work in any game this year. Didnt Blake ruck when Ben and Stanley went down? Everyone loves Kosi so we look for excuses. Footy has just well and truely passed him by and unluckily for us but luckily for Kosi it seems he has a contract.
Dont agree its past him just believe he has to be nursed through the season. His best game of the year cam against the best side in the AFL so clearly he can still play.

That may be so but his last 10-12 weeks were no good and lets face it, it seems he was dropped at the end of the year. That cant be a good sign for a 30 year old.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Dont agree its past him just believe he has to be nursed through the season. His best game of the year cam against the best side in the AFL so clearly he can still play.

That may be so but his last 10-12 weeks were no good and lets face it, it seems he was dropped at the end of the year. That cant be a good sign for a 30 year old.
Collingwood do the same for Jolly. He has a block of solid games then struggles for a few and is rested. See no reason why we cant do the same.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the 1:4 ratio could work for Kosi

He plays rounds 1, 6, 11, 16 & 21
Rests for the other 17, body should be good for finals.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Maybe the 1:4 ratio could work for Kosi

He plays rounds 1, 6, 11, 16 & 21
Rests for the other 17, body should be good for finals.

Id say plays blocks of four and try and avoid the Perth and Brisbane trips.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Collingwood do the same for Jolly. He has a block of solid games then struggles for a few and is rested. See no reason why we cant do the same.

Because the pies are trying to win a flag. We arent in than position. it is completely different.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Because the pies are trying to win a flag. We arent in than position. it is completely different.
That maybe true but at the end of the day Kosi is still a better option than what we would get drafting a recycled player. Kosi is still a better option than most second forwards in the AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

That maybe true but at the end of the day Kosi is still a better option than what we would get drafting a recycled player. Kosi is still a better option than most second forwards in the AFL.

Not from what I have seen in the last 3 months. Matter of fact a GOP in Wilkes has gone past him in SW eyes by who played in the last 2 weeks.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Not from what I have seen in the last 3 months. Matter of fact a GOP in Wilkes has gone past him in SW eyes by who played in the last 2 weeks.

How much has that got to do with Kosi not being rested. He has probably had to do a lot more work than origanaly thought with McEvoy going down.

Richter
SS Life Member

Other potential structures...

1/ Markworth emerging as a candidate for 3rd Tall - may get some games but unlikely to feature as a regular.

2/ Stanley as an exclusive forward with someone else sharing ruck duties with McEvoy - depends on who we trade for

3/ Only playing the 1 Tall permanent Key forward and surrounding him (Rooey) with a mosquito fleet of Schneider, Milera, Saad, Milne - with support at varying times from Dunnel, Sippos and a resting mid or two up forward.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If he has a contract, keep him and play him when he pushes for a spot, and drop him when he doesn't.

Don't see how this hurts.

Helps keep him on his toes, and helps guys like Stanley keep motivated.

If he played for Geelong, he'd have had the luxury of rotating in and out of the side past couple of years.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Kosi needs to retire. End of story. It is time to move on.
Wilkes is a chance at FF if he has a big pre-season and builds his upper body....

I personally still fancy Siposs up there... I recon he could kill it at FF.. not all FFs have been huge and his kicking and also his recovery/agility on the ground would be huge weapons.. knows how to time a lead to....
But... Siposs seems very versatile and may end up elsewhere

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer Blake to stick around for another season than Kosi. He's more versatile and would be much better as cover for injured rucks/key defenders.

I feel for Kosi, but his form has been horrible.

If he stays he should play only on merit and if his form warrants inclusion. The club is not a charity and shouldn't gift games to players because they are good blokes. If that was the case I would be getting a game

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

i might be alone here but i would like to see us pick up a key tall preferably maturely built and play them like wc have with darling instead playing player who aren't going to be up to it against the good sides. i prefer to use our first one and get a top line forward. and then get a key back

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
dragit
Saintsational Legend

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:i might be alone here but i would like to see us pick up a key tall preferably maturely built and play them like wc have with darling instead playing player who aren't going to be up to it against the good sides. i prefer to use our first one and get a top line forward. and then get a key back
How often is a key tall able to play for a season at 18 in their first year though?
Darling is one, I can barely think of another?
Nice idea if there is someone available.