Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
They are so far linked to

Stealing Mark Williams
Knights from Adelaide and now Goddard

Ramping it up are the Tiges and they have elite midfield talent to back it up

Would we take a Goddard for their first Round pick at 9 I think.... I don't think that's to far off the mark... maybe a player as well ..(although wont be a gun..)

Why would Richmond rade for BJ? I dont see the point.
Could it be that he is keen on a flag and Richmond are a chance within the next few years and have room in their salary cap. Keeps him in Melbourne too.

But why trade? They should just offer him money and then get him.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why would Richmond rade for BJ? I dont see the point.
Could it be that he is keen on a flag and Richmond are a chance within the next few years and have room in their salary cap. Keeps him in Melbourne too.

But why trade? They should just offer him money and then get him.
Yep. I don't disagree and the Tigers won't either I'd imagine.

Kernal75
Club Player

Big rumours on Twitter from WA based journo's that Goddard has agreed to a 4 year with Freo deal worth $3 million. Apparently!?!?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Big rumours on Twitter from WA based journo's that Goddard has agreed to a 4 year with Freo deal worth $3 million. Apparently!?!?

October 1 - Commencement of Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency period.

So if true both Fremantle and Goddard are in breach of AFL rules.

Cant agree to a 4 year contract, while still under contract with the Saints.

Cant agree to a contract under AFL Free Agency rules before the current club has been given the opportunity to match the contract.

None of this can happen before October 1st

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Big rumours on Twitter from WA based journo's that Goddard has agreed to a 4 year with Freo deal worth $3 million. Apparently!?!?

October 1 - Commencement of Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency period.

So if true both Fremantle and Goddard are in breach of AFL rules.

Cant agree to a 4 year contract, while still under contract with the Saints.

Cant agree to a contract under AFL Free Agency rules before the current club has been given the opportunity to match the contract.

None of this can happen before October 1st
Like it matters though,

I'm sure he can agree in principal without signing anything until October 1st.

That said, twitter circulates a lot of rumours, means little at this stage.

Kernal75
Club Player

Twitter does have a lot of rumours so all to be taken with a grain of salt. Not sure the dates for Free agency etc mean all that much as players often agree in principle that the terms are acceptable and they just hold their line unitl the period starts. Let's see, I'm positive the rumour mill will crank into overdrive soon.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

We can match any offer & then trade with BJ's preferred club.

If it's Richmond then #9 would do it in my book. It's 4 spots higher than what we'll get for him leaving as a free agent & that might see a key forward like Mason Shaw, Pavlich-like talent in Jesse Stringer or midfield jet like Sam Mayes still available.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:We can match any offer & then trade with BJ's preferred club.

If it's Richmond then #9 would do it in my book. It's 4 spots higher than what we'll get for him leaving as a free agent & that might see a key forward like Mason Shaw, Pavlich-like talent in Jesse Stringer or midfield jet like Sam Mayes still available.

We have to match the money inside the salary cap. That seems to be the reason we might not be able to keep him anyway. I'd say if he goes it will almost certainly be as a free agent.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From Peter Vlahos? That blokes a joke

Richter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:Tony74 wrote that he asked RL if he was saying and RL said something like he hoped so but the club have to want me to stay or something like that.

Lenny asked BJ if he was staying after the game today and BJ said he hopes so. This might mean that he's hoping the club matches an offer he has which will make it easier for him to stay. Who knows.
I reckon this is probably around the mark.

He's looking for more than the $500k that the Saints are offering, will accept less than $750k from Freo but his management are using that as a bargaining chip.... hopefully a middle ground around $550k or so will be reached as a compromise.

On the one hnd him being so close to the boys means he's likely to forogo $$ to stay, on the other, he probably looks at Rooey on the mega-bucks and thinks... I'm the next 'elite' marquee player at St Kilda, so I should get commensurate wages.

For him to stay, he'll need to accept that he isn't on the same level as Rooey and so won;t get that sort of coin from us... he's more similar to players like Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas at Collingwood, who I am quite sure are knocking back the same sort of money as BJ would be to stay at their current club.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
From Peter Vlahos? That blokes a joke
That guy is a stinker of a journo.

He always says "I believe".

The other c**k is Kim Hackdorn

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:We can match any offer & then trade with BJ's preferred club.

That sort of where I was coming from re possible trade but the danger is he says "thanks" takes the Saints offer.. If we were to match a Richmond offer then try and offload him to Tiges... I don't think that sets up the best relations for all parties.

That aside, I'd take pick 9 in a flash... picks 9,11 ish in strong draft could set us up for some time used wisely......it's all moot though.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Tony74 wrote that he asked RL if he was saying and RL said something like he hoped so but the club have to want me to stay or something like that.

Lenny asked BJ if he was staying after the game today and BJ said he hopes so. This might mean that he's hoping the club matches an offer he has which will make it easier for him to stay. Who knows.
I reckon this is probably around the mark.

He's looking for more than the $500k that the Saints are offering, will accept less than $750k from Freo but his management are using that as a bargaining chip.... hopefully a middle ground around $550k or so will be reached as a compromise.

On the one hnd him being so close to the boys means he's likely to forogo $$ to stay, on the other, he probably looks at Rooey on the mega-bucks and thinks... I'm the next 'elite' marquee player at St Kilda, so I should get commensurate wages.

For him to stay, he'll need to accept that he isn't on the same level as Rooey and so won;t get that sort of coin from us... he's more similar to players like Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas at Collingwood, who I am quite sure are knocking back the same sort of money as BJ would be to stay at their current club.
On current output he's nowhere near SwN/Pendles

Thomas who fades in/out if games..... yes

“Yeah….nah””
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely hope he stays, but if his heart isn't with us (which in all honesty would be the only thing keeping here with us) then I wish him all the best for the future (but not too good, I'd hate to see him spoil a finals campaign for us :D). The word seems to be that he'll go. My heart tells me he's a team player and will stay. I also predict he'll captain our side in 2013.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure he even can.

Free agency doesn't kick off until the Monday after the GF.

Only then can they put in an offer, and Saints will have opportunity to come back with similar.

Least that's what I thought?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I heard somewhere about Goddard inquiring about a Perth-based golf club membership. But then it's all hearsay. I sort of hate this time of year, and I really hate the gossip machine going into speculative overdrive like this. Pretty annoying.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I heard somewhere about Goddard inquiring about a Perth-based golf club membership. But then it's all hearsay. I sort of hate this time of year, and I really hate the gossip machine going into speculative overdrive like this. Pretty annoying.
yeah old news dude :)

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

We have to match the money inside the salary cap. That seems to be the reason we might not be able to keep him anyway. I'd say if he goes it will almost certainly be as a free agent.
That is true.

We've also got a bit of wriggle room to match an offer that isn't ridiculous (especially if a deal is back ended)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I heard somewhere about Goddard inquiring about a Perth-based golf club membership. But then it's all hearsay. I sort of hate this time of year, and I really hate the gossip machine going into speculative overdrive like this. Pretty annoying.
yeah old news dude :)
I heard that he has just bought a yurt in the Gobi Desert - Mongolia.

Maybe he is planning to invest his millions in the Rio copper mine and wants a house close-by to check in on it?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Sp if we end up offering 550K-600K to match an offer (a bit short) then can we also give him the Captaincy - does that make icing on the cake? Is there an agreed amount for the top job?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:Sp if we end up offering 550K-600K to match an offer (a bit short) then can we also give him the Captaincy - does that make icing on the cake? Is there an agreed amount for the top job?
There is a marketing allowance that can be paid outside of the cap, I think Roo is currently getting the bulk of it, but it be available after next for BJ?

Not sure how much it is, but I think it's sizable - 100K?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

OK - interesting - but after next what exactly and why? Doesn't a captain get a "stipend"?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:OK - interesting - but after next what exactly and why? Doesn't a captain get a "stipend"?
Agree, interesting if true. Are we talking outside the cap?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
mbogo wrote:OK - interesting - but after next what exactly and why? Doesn't a captain get a "stipend"?
Agree, interesting if true. Are we talking outside the cap?
The marketing allowance is outside the cap, not sure if there is anything strictly related to being a captain.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

sainter27 wrote:I have a good source who says they are 10-20k apart with also a few other indorsement contracts not quite there.
But the general view is pretty much we'lll be cool. A good source, but really like most of this, take it with a grain of salt
because we all know how these things can change
For f**k's sake surely if they're only 10-20k apart the deal can be done??? Is your source reliable?