2013 - Kosi, Wilkes, or someone else?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

2013 - Kosi, Wilkes, or someone else?

It's a pretty safe bet that we'll stick with the three tall forward setup next year and that Roo and Stanley will be two of them. But I see the third spot completely up for grabs.

Kosi not being picked today shows that he won't be gifted games next year. His best is still very good, but it's a very short drop to his worst which is absolutely horrible. If he can get back to his early-season form then Kos will get the spot, but he's not exactly the most reliable bloke going around in terms of injuries and form.

Wilkes tries his guts out and has been very effective against weak teams, but hasn't registered a goal against a finalist. Perhaps with a confidence boost and another pre season to get into truly elite condition he could cement his spot and become a regular. We've seen him take big contested marks and lay crunching tackles; if he just slotted all the easy goals and held the simple marks this year he would have much more hype about him and another 8-10 goals to his name. Of course he may just be a limited player who is prone to mistakes.

Siposs is another potential option but he doesn't play particularly tall and will probably spend a lot of time at half back, especially if Goddard leaves. Dunell has shown he can take a grab and kick a goal but even with another pre season probably won't be strong enough to play tall in the AFL.

I'm interested to hear people's opinions on this. With a bit more improvement Wilkes could definitely make the spot his own. But a fit and firing Kosi definitely edges out a fit and firing Wilkes.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 - Kosi, Wilkes, or someone else?

I think you've summed it up very well. The spot is up for grabs. If only Jarryd Allen hadn't hurt himself.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Form will decide it. I'd give Wilkes first crack at it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely Wilks, Roo and a floating Stanley should be number 1 fwd structure.

Kosi just too immobile.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Kosi's best is not very good. The game passed him by many a season ago. It's beyond embarrassing that he's still listed and contracted. Roo, Stanley and Wilkes it must be.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes is now the 3rd Banana...

No insult in that as not everyone can be good or great.

He can be a useful player for us. I am not sure thought about how much he can improve. If he could just clunk a couple more marks, it would make all the difference......as at present he often positions himself well, gets his hands on it...but the ball just does not always stick as much as you need from a key forward.

Siposs could be it too...but may need several pre-seasons to develop enough core strength,

Kosi is just too limited now...particularly as he is not clunking marks like he used too.

Given Wiles has been doing ok...I think that we have bigger needs for Pelchen to chase as trades.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Kosi's best is not very good. The game passed him by many a season ago. It's beyond embarrassing that he's still listed and contracted. Roo, Stanley and Wilkes it must be.
It was pretty good early in the year. 14 goals and 15 contested marks from his first 5 games wasn't too bad. Wilkes kicked 15 goals and 15 contested marks in total from his 10 games for the year.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Wilkes is now the 3rd Banana...

No insult in that as not everyone can be good or great.

He can be a useful player for us. I am not sure thought about how much he can improve. If he could just clunk a couple more marks, it would make all the difference......as at present he often positions himself well, gets his hands on it...but the ball just does not always stick as much as you need from a key forward.
I do have hope that he's got some improvement left in him. Keep in mind that he wasn't in the system until 10 months ago and by all reports he had to drop a fair bit of weight over the off season to get in reasonable condition. If he can increase his endurance and build his conditioning there could be significant improvement next year. And his habit of dropping marks is totally mental. He can clunk big pack marks yet drop a couple of easy ones each game; hopefully that could be erased once he really feels comfortable at AFL level. Same goals for goalkicking - he'll slot a hard one and then miss a sitter 30m out. Surely that is mental, and a sign of an inexperienced player rather than one who can't do it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ah...but is though little mistakes that make all the difference in being a GOP s a good player.

Still he ended the season on a relative high and now KNOWS that there is a place for him...and that he pushed passed Kosi. So let us hope that is a motivator to improve.

While he was in the WAFL in 2011, he did play senior football for WCE in the three years prior including 14 in 2008.

However yes only 33 AFL level games, and only some of those as a key forward, and so that does provide some scope for improvement.

But he will be 27 next year...so his time will be then!!!!! So let us hope that he works his but off in the pre-season..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:However yes only 33 AFL level games, and only some of those as a key forward, and so that does provide some scope for improvement.

But he will be 27 next year...so his time will be then!!!!! So let us hope that he works his but off in the pre-season..
That's my big hope for improvement. He's only been a forward for two years, hasn't had a lot of AFL experience, has some conditioning to catch up on and is coming into his prime as a tall. I have no doubt he'll do everything possible to get himself ready for a big 2013 as he seems to have a great attitude.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Little Dozer wrote:Kosi's best is not very good. The game passed him by many a season ago. It's beyond embarrassing that he's still listed and contracted. Roo, Stanley and Wilkes it must be.
+1.

Kosi = great bloke, great club man. But I dearly hope we don't have to see him lumbering around the forward line next year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's pretty obvious that Wilkes can do a useful job in the forward line, and has strong mature body. Our bigger priorities are tall defenders, rucks and a quality mid. Where Kosi fits I don't know.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda won all three games without Kosi in 2012 and have won 7 of the last 9 without him. I love the bloke, but his time might be up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Kosi is only good for around 5-10 games a year, then maybe we should save him up till after the halfway point… His body obviously isn't upto a whole season of AFL anymore. If he is contracted, then we may as well get best use out of him.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

when was the last time kozi actually had a full preseason without surgery or injury??

anyone know?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:when was the last time kozi actually had a full preseason without surgery or injury??

anyone know?
I thought he had a good pre-season this year?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

didnt he have ankle probs and need surgery?
or was that the year before?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:didnt he have ankle probs and need surgery?
or was that the year before?
Unfortunately this year he was 'raring to go', though he did start the season well i suppose…

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=130371

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Need Kosi to stick around next season. He has to be rested when the times right and avoid Perth trips.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Kosi started the year very well; his first 5-10 games were some of the best we've seen from him in a fair while.

But if he's not taking marks (esp. contested ones) then he virtually gives you nothing. Against the better sides in particular, he can't keep up in terms of putting pressure on the opposition.

Wilkes is in the box seat to have first crack next year to be the third key forward.

If Kosi plays games next year, I hope it's mainly as ruckman (if McEvoy or Rhys are injured).

St Lenny
Club Player

matrix wrote:when was the last time kozi actually had a full preseason without surgery or injury??

anyone know?
This year was the first time. You may recall he started the season pretty well. THen McEvoy, Blake, Stanley and Fisher got injured and he had to take on the ruck duties by himself. I think it was around round 7 he injured his ankle again but had to keep playing as we had no one. Watters stated in a recent interview that he doesn't see Koz as a ruckman and he admired him for what he had to do. He has another year on contract and won't be going any where.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:

anyone know?
This year was the first time. You may recall he started the season pretty well. THen McEvoy, Blake, Stanley and Fisher got injured and he had to take on the ruck duties by himself. I think it was around round 7 he injured his ankle again but had to keep playing as we had no one. Watters stated in a recent interview that he doesn't see Koz as a ruckman and he admired him for what he had to do. He has another year on contract and won't be going any where.

I cant remember Kosi doing anymore than about 20% of the ruck work in any game this year. Didnt Blake ruck when Ben and Stanley went down? Everyone loves Kosi so we look for excuses. Footy has just well and truely passed him by and unluckily for us but luckily for Kosi it seems he has a contract.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosi needs two operations at seasons end...don't know if that affected his performance or not...just stating a fact....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:kosi needs two operations at seasons end...don't know if that affected his performance or not...just stating a fact....

Is it fact like Peter Cameraon is Jason Cloke's uncle?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

anyone know?

I cant remember Kosi doing anymore than about 20% of the ruck work in any game this year. Didnt Blake ruck when Ben and Stanley went down? Everyone loves Kosi so we look for excuses. Footy has just well and truely passed him by and unluckily for us but luckily for Kosi it seems he has a contract.
Dont agree its past him just believe he has to be nursed through the season. His best game of the year cam against the best side in the AFL so clearly he can still play.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL