Stanley Is The Key

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Stanley Is The Key

I can't help but feel that the difference between us being Ok/ordinary and us being really good over the next few years - is Rhys Stanley.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley Is The Key

Johnny Member wrote:I can't help but feel that the difference between us being Ok/ordinary and us being really good over the next few years - is Rhys Stanley.
i was thinking that today at the game. the only way we're going to challenge in the next five years is if stanley steps up and becomes a key forward or a good ruckman or - ideally - both. we just don't have enough depth in that area to be able to fill in for him if he doesn't come through.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see a more even share of the ruckwork next year from McEvoy and Stanley. Rhys is already much more effective at center bounces and his athleticism around the ground would be invaluable. And McEvoy is a genuine, bomb-it-long option when forward that I'd like to see utilised more.

It is absolutely vital that Stanley's hamstring issues are fixed and that he adds core/lower body strength in the off season. I don't think he's the key to improving, but he's a very important part. The greater issue that needs to be addressed is getting more quality ball-users into the side. If the likes of Siposs, Dunell, Milera and Newnes can earn a regular gig next year as well as getting Schneids fit it will go a long way to getting us back into the 8.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He should be a white Natanui next season if fit. He's seriously that good IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'd play him as a deep forward so he doesn't bust those xlarge hammys anymore. I can see him being Taylor Walker like in a year or two. I remember last year Taylor Walker looked like Stanley -dangerous in presence but not really hammering teams. He looked like he hadn't got self belief yet. Stanley looks like the only thing holding him back is the belief that he could be an elite A grade forward with speed and agility. Walker got some mongrel this year and some muscle helped but he could easily be anything. Just little hints of G train, Fletcher, Walker, Kruezer etc. just need him to demand the footy now.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Can some one teach him to kick accurately for goal.
For some reason that escapes me, a guy who kicks goals is more useful than a guy who kicks behinds.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd argue it's still McEvoy, if he can emerge next year with some improvement in his taps to advantage, he is our most important IMO.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Can some one teach him to kick accurately for goal. For some reason that escapes me, a guy who kicks goals is more useful than a guy who kicks behinds.
He kicked a pretty handy one from outside 50 to put us eight points up in the last. Good to see he can convert under pressure

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Similar thoughts crossed my mind. If Stanley can pinch hit/support in Ruck and Macca is fit all season. Then Stanley can go fwd and cause havoc. Throw in Roo and Wilkes to take some marks and kick some goals with Saad Milera Schneider Milney. This is what we all dreamt about at the start of this season and it didnt work out but yeah. Stanley could well be the diff between us being good and ordinary.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Good post. He's not the messiah but could still be a very handy boy.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Stanley and Ben. Every team needs very tall marking players, we need them on the park, boy we missed Rhys early in the season.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is certainly one key.....or he could be.

But one key will not be enough.

We need at least one of kids, or new trades, to step up and be a quality mid. We lack in this area.

A genuine " big" FB. Gwilt was not suitable for Waite today...and Fisher is not enough in himself. Not having a true FB means that as the big forwards ripple down that we are exposed.

Better ball use = both smarter ball use as well as better kicking. It is not just the kicks, as we often kick true to bad option such as a stationary player.

Better teams scored too easily against us this year. Our high % was gained mainly by really pumping the weaker teams, but the better teams exposed our sometimes poor team defence and ripped us open. Leaking goals too easily cost us up to half a dozen wins this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so is sipps our new chb????

Superboot
SS Life Member

Another key is the young mids coming through, and how much development we get into them over the next two seasons. But like a pregnancy, development has to take its course and can't be rushed.

Meanwhile, it would be nice to pick up a Heath Black type from somewhere.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so is sipps our new chb????
I think we can play a 5 man fwd line and a 7 man backline

Maybe something like:

B: Dempster NewGuy Gwilt
HB: Geary Simpkin Fisher Siposs
C: Gram Dal Santo Cripps
HF: Schneider Stanley Saad
F Milne Riewoldt

Ruck: McEvoy Montagna Steven

int: Armitage Gilbert Hayes sub: Wilkes

Em: Ray Dunell Newnes Milera

Youngsters to develop/try in 2013 - Ferg, Curren, Markworth