Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Re: Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:Ha you sucker Pluggs to easy you big tosser , everybody else wrong and your right !! So quick to jump on everybody else but hate it coming back you Pen!s....

No. Love it.

Ha Ha Pen!s....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:Ha you sucker Pluggs to easy you big tosser , everybody else wrong and your right !! So quick to jump on everybody else but hate it coming back you Pen!s....

No. Love it.

Ha Ha Pen!s....

Dont do this to me. It isnt fair. Please stop. I am sorry.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Does anyone know whether the first round compensation pick is the buying clubs' pick (i.e., Freo pick approx # 14) or would we receive an early 1st round priority pick?
It is not clear to me whether the team who gets the player LOSES a draft pick to the club who loses the player.... I cant see where it is spelled out.. all the informationon the web is very nebuluous about what the compensation is.... it seems the team gaining a player should lose a pick... but equally it seems silly that the worth of the player us dependent on which team he goes to.....
Maybe we need to be hoping Freo lose next week if he is going there!

Can anyone find any better information about this rule?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Does anyone know whether the first round compensation pick is the buying clubs' pick (i.e., Freo pick approx # 14) or would we receive an early 1st round priority pick?
It is not clear to me whether the team who gets the player LOSES a draft pick to the club who loses the player.... I cant see where it is spelled out.. all the informationon the web is very nebuluous about what the compensation is.... it seems the team gaining a player should lose a pick... but equally it seems silly that the worth of the player us dependent on which team he goes to.....
Maybe we need to be hoping Freo lose next week if he is going there!

Can anyone find any better information about this rule?

I dont know how the picks work but the team gaining certainly doesnt lose a pick and neither they should.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:farren has a friend join him in interview
http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx
That does not look like a guy that is leaving the club one bit, seeking out the camera full of cheer. If he was leaving he would be anguished IMO.

StGoddard18
Club Player

dragit wrote:
That does not look like a guy that is leaving the club one bit, seeking out the camera full of cheer. If he was leaving he would be anguished IMO.
I agree. I thought if he was leaving he would of shown sadness at the end of the game.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
gringo
Saintsational Legend

As long as he's not just relieved to not have to live a lie for too much longer?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:
dragit wrote:
I agree. I thought if he was leaving he would of shown sadness at the end of the game.

Might be relieved to be out of there?

Who knows?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SuperDuper
Club Player

I dont know how the picks work but the team gaining certainly doesnt lose a pick and neither they should.
I dont understand the logic here really....why shouldnt they give up a pick?
they get something for nothing, because they offer more money.... ?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:
dragit wrote:
Only true if you are assuming he is thinking like we would. I wouldn't read too much into it at all tempting that it is.

But think about it, why wouldn't he be happy and fairly relaxed given the strong position he is in. Also, the club haven't seemed to have bent over backwards to sign him up. Reminds me of similar situation last year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still think he will stay, still not that enthused about the club suddenly and vocally putting it out there that he has a contract to sign when you get the feeling it's been messy and a bit rushed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

or maybe his so tense and freaked out about his next move that he's gone the other way as a defense mechanism..

or maybe he's leaving (or staying) and just doesn't care...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still think he will stay, still not that enthused about the club suddenly and vocally putting it out there that he has a contract to sign when you get the feeling it's been messy and a bit rushed.
Don't clutch at straws. Remember last year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still think he will stay, still not that enthused about the club suddenly and vocally putting it out there that he has a contract to sign when you get the feeling it's been messy and a bit rushed.
I do remember, club stuffed around a bit, but confident this time they have fortunately done so with someone who will (I hope) make allowances.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tony74 wrote that he asked RL if he was saying and RL said something like he hoped so but the club have to want me to stay or something like that.

Lenny asked BJ if he was staying after the game today and BJ said he hopes so. This might mean that he's hoping the club matches an offer he has which will make it easier for him to stay. Who knows.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Yes !
Remember the end of year last year . Lyon looked like he couldn't get out of the place quick enough ! dermot berenton said the following day on the tv , that reading lyon's body language that he was gone !

Is BJ a good poker player ?

time will tell .
Last edited by mr six o'clock on Sun 02 Sep 2012 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

In red white and black from 73
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I do remember, club stuffed around a bit, but confident this time they have fortunately done so with someone who will (I hope) make allowances.
The club didn't stuff around according to Nathan Burke. Contract talks were put on hold by both parties by mutual consent. Freo saw an opportunity and took it. I personally heard a board member talk about the risks of losing Ross Lyon to a club like Carlton who would come at him with a massive offer that St Kilda could not match. That was back in April/may 2011. They knew the risks.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
I dont understand the logic here really....why shouldnt they give up a pick?
they get something for nothing, because they offer more money.... ?
That's why it's called Free Agency, because it's free.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
defacto
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The club didn't stuff around according to Nathan Burke. Contract talks were put on hold by both parties by mutual consent. Freo saw an opportunity and took it. I personally heard a board member talk about the risks of losing Ross Lyon to a club like Carlton who would come at him with a massive offer that St Kilda could not match. That was back in April/may 2011. They knew the risks.
there was also a rumor doing the rounds that the father of an ex saints player acted as the go between and pretty much worked out all the contract details so that when ross decided to go, it was a flick of the switch and all done and duested within 24 hours.

what makes your comment and the rumor very interesting is the connection to watters.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: The club didn't stuff around according to Nathan Burke. Contract talks were put on hold by both parties by mutual consent. Freo saw an opportunity and took it. I personally heard a board member talk about the risks of losing Ross Lyon to a club like Carlton who would come at him with a massive offer that St Kilda could not match. That was back in April/may 2011. They knew the risks.
defacto wrote: there was also a rumor doing the rounds that the father of an ex saints player acted as the go between and pretty much worked out all the contract details so that when ross decided to go, it was a flick of the switch and all done and duested within 24 hours.

what makes your comment and the rumor very interesting is the connection to watters.
Sorry, what's the connection to Watters?

defacto
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote: The club didn't stuff around according to Nathan Burke. Contract talks were put on hold by both parties by mutual consent. Freo saw an opportunity and took it. I personally heard a board member talk about the risks of losing Ross Lyon to a club like Carlton who would come at him with a massive offer that St Kilda could not match. That was back in April/may 2011. They knew the risks.
defacto wrote: there was also a rumor doing the rounds that the father of an ex saints player acted as the go between and pretty much worked out all the contract details so that when ross decided to go, it was a flick of the switch and all done and duested within 24 hours.

Sorry, what's the connection to Watters?
past club (not afl). not saying anything is up but if that rumor is true about the ex saints player, then it makes it very interesting.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

From AFL Website - FEB 2010

HOW THE NEW FREE AGENCY SYSTEM WILL WORK

1. A player has served seven seasons or less of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.

The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the Draft.

If he delists himself, he is subject to the Draft, and may be selected by any club.

2. A player has served seven seasons or less of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.

The player is a Free Agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

The player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

3. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club has the right to match the presented offer.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

4. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is NOT one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula.

5. A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula

Reading thru we should receive a compensation pick (or two) from the AFL in BJ decides to go - we will not receive it from the rival club - Goodard I think comes under Point 3

This information was from 2010 so dont take my word for it as it might have been rehashed since then (ie: minor rule changes - like not being allowed to sign with a rival club before your contract has expired)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Even though it has already been said that he's going to test the waters in free agency (the signing period isn't until after the grand final), it does seem less and less likely the longer this goes on. We know there has recently been a contract put on the table and he hasn't accepted it. If he doesn't like it now then I'm not sure why he'd like it any more in October.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

give him the captaincy
he needs it
we need it
Roo needs it