Gut feeling about our young players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Gut feeling about our young players

What are your gut feelings about our young brigade, who do you think will make it?

Very pleased with - should be starting 18 next year:

Simpkin
Saad
Siposs

Pleased with - top 24:

Cripps
Stanley
Milera

Not convincing - but in fairness, we haven't had much time to assess:

Ledger
Newnes
Dunell

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gut feeling about our young players

Newnes will be in the 24 I would think

SuperDuper
Club Player

Agree with those assessments 100%
The three in the middle may be barometers of next year. If they step up then saints can improve
But they could go either way.

Bottom 2 may need another year to come through

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Not sure you can count Milera as a young player - he's 24. But I'll follow you on it. Only two categories for me.

Definitely will be a player

Saad (22yo, 16 games)
Steven (22yo, 51 games)
Simpkin (22yo, 21 games)
Cripps (20yo, 16 games)
Siposs (19yo, 18 games)
Newnes (19yo, 7 games)

Not sure yet

Milera (24yo, 15 games)
Dunell (21yo, 5 games)
Stanley (21yo, 21 games)
Ledger (20yo, 6 games)
Ross (19yo, 1 game)

battye
Saintsational Legend

What have you seen in Newnes, bergholt? It's not a loaded question, I just ask because from the limited game time I've thought that Dunell has shown more promise than Newnes - even though I'd still put Dunell in the not convinced yet category.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Steven won't miss a game next year, Got a good feeling about Stanley..also won't miss a game.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Siposs is the one potential A-grader that stands out. If Goddard leaves, we have a very similar replacement

Steven could progress further and become a gun or his kicking issues could persist and stop him from ever being elite

Stanley is a tough one to pick - most likely he'll end up being a decent forward/ruck who gets 12 touches, 1.5 goals and 12 hitouts per game. But he could get his body and confidence right and explode...not sure which it will be

Saad has all the making of a quality 150 game small forward. Should bag 35 goals a year. Could potentially even move up into the midfield at times.

Cripps is tough to pick. Right now he's a one-trick pony with strong offensive running that leads him to get on the end of good forward entries. His skills are just ok but his decision making at AFL level needs to improve. Another pre season will help him, but I'm not sure what his position is long-term. I feel he lacks the size for defence but may not get enough of the ball to be a wingman.

Dunell showed plenty of promise and I look forward to seeing more of him next year. He's a smooth mover and uses the ball well. Has the height to be a handy utility, if he puts on 3-4kg of muscle in the pre season he should play more than half the season next year.

Milera has a load of talent, just needs to hit the gym and work on his discipline. Sometimes he tries to do too much and gives away too many free kicks for reckless tackles. Very tough to predict how he'll go.

Newnes has shown he has composure and good skills. He's still a couple of years from having a body ready for regular senior footy but he's shown good signs. I think he'll make it, I'm just not sure if he'll be a 'role player' or a gun.

Ledger has the tools to make it and I think he just needs plenty of coaching and senior experience. He has no problem finding the ball and he's quite a good kick. At the moment he gets a bit overwhelmed by the pace of AFL sometimes but that will come with time.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Ross but he seems like a smart footballer. His contested work is brilliant, just needs to build his tank and work on his offensive work a bit more. Should play a few more in 2013 and be raring to go after that.

Simpkin doesn't seem like a kid at all. He's just got great, well-rounded defensive skills and will only get better.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:What are your gut feelings about our young brigade, who do you think will make it?

Simpkin
Saad
Siposs

Pleased with - top 24:

Cripps
Stanley
Milera

Ledger
Newnes
Dunell
Siposs is a jet, he's already a very solid player.
Stanley offers at least as much as Kosi with 10 years on his side.
Saad will tease at times but is a very handy forward pocket.
Cripps I really rate, has class, can run, just needs to build up some more.
Newnes has poise and class, but body is still a long way away.
Milera is a potential matchwinner but I don't think he will make it long-term, at best fringe, too inconsistent due to his body shape.
Ledger can find the ball but not a great user and lacking in composure. Not sure at all about him.
Dunell is handy but similar to Milera size a bit of an issue and a bit suspect with the footy too. Seems a fringe player.
Simpkin I am still reserving judgment on. Very good defensively but poor skills and undersize. Not sure there is room for both him and Gwilt as neither is big enough to play KPP and Gwilt a better user. Depends who we pick up in the off-season as to where his spot lies.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:What are your gut feelings about our young brigade, who do you think will make it?
Simpkin
Saad
Siposs

Pleased with - top 24:
Cripps
Stanley
Milera

Ledger
Newnes
Dunell
Stanley is definatly in the first group and Milera will be to after a solid preseason in the gym.

Dunnell and Newnes are both future stars, and both will also benifit from a solid preseason, could establish themselves next season but I think in 2014 they will be guns

I love this club
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:What have you seen in Newnes, bergholt? It's not a loaded question, I just ask because from the limited game time I've thought that Dunell has shown more promise than Newnes - even though I'd still put Dunell in the not convinced yet category.
fair question. purely on gut feel, he just looks like he's got the head for it - poise, footy smarts - along with solid skills and a body which will be about the right size to play in midfield with just a few more kilos of muscle. whether he'll be a superstar i don't know, but i'd be surprised if he didn't play 100 games plus as a good midfielder, at least.

dunell on the other hand is mid-size and a bit more mercurial, which means there's a chance he could turn out like daniel wulf or charlie gardiner and just not quite get there. i certainly hope not, but at this point my gut tells me it's still up in the air.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Not sure you can count Milera as a young player - he's 24. But I'll follow you on it. Only two categories for me.

Not sure yet

Stanley (21yo, 21 games)
I think he will definitely be a player. The unknown is how good a player IMO. He may remain on soo so, but useful. Or he could become a lot more.

In his advantage to play quite a number of games is his height, speed and athleticism. So even if he never becomes good enough to be the No1 forward, he will be a useful No 2 or 3 tall forward. In 2013 if the bench swaps to to subs, then someone like Stanley will be even more vital in your starting 20.

Another string in his bow, well be in several years once he muscles up, and develops more core body strength, that he could well evolve in a No 1 ruckman.

To give Stanley time to bloom it is vital that Roo plays another 2 or 3 seasons. That will ease the pressure on Stanley.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 02 Sep 2012 7:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

Simpkin I am still reserving judgment on. Very good defensively but poor skills and undersize.
I think you are very wrong there!!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
noob
Club Player

Has Ledger signed up?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Steven won't miss a game next year, Got a good feeling about Stanley..also won't miss a game.
If Stanley doesn't miss next year we will improve from this year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Siposs is the one potential A-grader that stands out. If Goddard leaves, we have a very similar replacement

Steven could progress further and become a gun or his kicking issues could persist and stop him from ever being elite

Stanley is a tough one to pick - most likely he'll end up being a decent forward/ruck who gets 12 touches, 1.5 goals and 12 hitouts per game. But he could get his body and confidence right and explode...not sure which it will be

Saad has all the making of a quality 150 game small forward. Should bag 35 goals a year. Could potentially even move up into the midfield at times.

Cripps is tough to pick. Right now he's a one-trick pony with strong offensive running that leads him to get on the end of good forward entries. His skills are just ok but his decision making at AFL level needs to improve. Another pre season will help him, but I'm not sure what his position is long-term. I feel he lacks the size for defence but may not get enough of the ball to be a wingman.

Dunell showed plenty of promise and I look forward to seeing more of him next year. He's a smooth mover and uses the ball well. Has the height to be a handy utility, if he puts on 3-4kg of muscle in the pre season he should play more than half the season next year.

Milera has a load of talent, just needs to hit the gym and work on his discipline. Sometimes he tries to do too much and gives away too many free kicks for reckless tackles. Very tough to predict how he'll go.

Newnes has shown he has composure and good skills. He's still a couple of years from having a body ready for regular senior footy but he's shown good signs. I think he'll make it, I'm just not sure if he'll be a 'role player' or a gun.

Ledger has the tools to make it and I think he just needs plenty of coaching and senior experience. He has no problem finding the ball and he's quite a good kick. At the moment he gets a bit overwhelmed by the pace of AFL sometimes but that will come with time.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Ross but he seems like a smart footballer. His contested work is brilliant, just needs to build his tank and work on his offensive work a bit more. Should play a few more in 2013 and be raring to go after that.

Simpkin doesn't seem like a kid at all. He's just got great, well-rounded defensive skills and will only get better.
Don't mean to be sucky but another A grade post from you. Thanks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

One player that has really impressed me the second half of the season is Cripps. He seems a lot more assured of himself and is now taking his time and making good decisions. His skills are quite good as well. I think another pre season or two and he will be a regular, he does tend to tire early on in games and have poor second halves.

mick13
Club Player

Newnes is extremely highly rated by the coach. In the pre-season he talked up his leadership as 'Lenny-like' and said that they expected him to be elite in 18-24 months.

He's then backed that up by playing him in 7 games. Despite the higher picked Seb Ross and Markworth only managing 1 game between them late in the season.

Don't want to put too much pressure on the kid. But I've liked what I've seen. And I reckon Watters is liking what he's seen too.

So yeah, I rate him as a pretty good chance to play a pretty decent number of games for us. :D

SaintWal
Club Player

mick13 wrote:Newnes is extremely highly rated by the coach. In the pre-season he talked up his leadership as 'Lenny-like' and said that they expected him to be elite in 18-24 months.

He's then backed that up by playing him in 7 games. Despite the higher picked Seb Ross and Markworth only managing 1 game between them late in the season.

Don't want to put too much pressure on the kid. But I've liked what I've seen. And I reckon Watters is liking what he's seen too.

So yeah, I rate him as a pretty good chance to play a pretty decent number of games for us. :D
I Think he is going to be an exceptional player for the club. Will play 15-20 games next year and be elite in 2014. But that is my opinion

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:[Milera is a potential matchwinner but I don't think he will make it long-term, at best fringe, too inconsistent due to his body shape.
It will depend on him I guess. He has skills, vision and pace ... just needs to hit the gym to strengthen up those skinny arms and upper body and learn to make those tackles stick.

Could be an absolute gun if he has the application.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Siposs - At the very least will be a B grader, but I think he's a very good chance to be an A grader and maybe even elite. Needs to get fitter and stronger, but that will come. Is very clean and has neat disposal. Seems very similar to BJ, hopefully for our sake he's just as good.

Stanley - So much potential, would be disappointed if he doesn't at least forge out a 10 year career. He has a chance to become the next big thing with his leap and pace though. Needs to work on sticking those contested grabs, too often he gets hands on the footy and drops it.

McEvoy - Not as young, but still plenty of upside. There's no doubt he'll make it. In 3-4 years he will hopefully be one of the premier ruckman in the league. Already has great marking ability, as well as leadership and a terrific tank. Ruckwork is his one glaring weakness and that should improve with age/size.

Cripps - Lots of poise and class, definitely needs to get harder though. Think he has a good chance of making it, but is by no means a certainty.

Simpkin - Pretty much already there. Tough as nails and a great negator. Lack of height isn't really an issue. He's a player. We certainly need a 195+ defender, but Simpkin's position isn't under any doubt.

Ledger - Haven't seen anything all that promising as yet. Hopefully he'll make it but gut feel is that he won't.

Newnes - All class. Good courage and great disposal. Really excited about him.

Ross - Haven't seen much, but reports are that he has plenty to work with.

Saad- Still got a few things to work on, but there's little doubt he will be able to go on with it. Good speed and generally clean. Tackles well but needs to put more pressure on in the F50. Good shot for goal.

Milera - Gut feel is that he'll be a fringe player and nothing more. Gets pushed off the ball too easily and at 24 I don't think he'll get much bigger. Can do some nice things though.

Armitage - Always felt that he'll make it. Had a good season but Scott definitely wants more from him, which I guess shows that he rates him too. Has really worked on his spread from the contest, which was a glaring weakness. Often provides a link up option now which makes him more than handy. Could be an A grader, but more than likely B+

Steven - Good speed, good goal sense, and good ability to win the footy. But disposal lets him down at time. I think he will be able to improve it though as he is capable of some terrific kicks as he has shown, just needs to reduce the clangers.

There's definitely some promise there, hopefully more than half of them become players, with a couple becoming guns. And then there's Markworth who apparently has loads of ability.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Milera has something special and could be a gun still. Work rate is obviously the only thing that will hold him back because he has skills. At 24 playing in the AFL doesn't stop nerves, loss of composure under pressure, distractions outside footy etc. these guys still have to learn to cope in a pressure cooker. Doesn't matter if your 17 or 28 the same issues are there, kids that have 4 years growing into the environment are probably advantaged.

Stanley is a potential Taylor Walker, he just needs to get his head around his potential.

Newnes has an it factor that good players have, composure, kicking skills, vision -all the basics and looks confident, could be a new Dal Santo.

Siposs is so close now it's making me impatient, he could seriously explode in 2013.

Saad just makes me want to watch footy, he's like if you wished we could have another Milney coming through all of a sudden he appeared.

Simpkins disposal and attack on the ball were better than Gwilts IMO

Cripps should be a gun also.

lots of potential there at the moment can see heap of potential in that list.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Good writeup Gil. If you have Armo and Mac then you could add Geary to that list who is probably already close to a solid B grader with more room for improvement. I can only remember him being well beaten once this year, against Cyril.

Dunnel is another who looks very good for a guy who has only played 5 AFL games.

Ledger just looks messy with ball in hand however he can find it. From all reports Curren looks a lot better as an inside option at Ledger's same age.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Stanley reminds me of a young Drew Petrie who took a while to develop and is now playing his best footy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Stanley reminds me of a young Drew Petrie who took a while to develop and is now playing his best footy.
Yes, we expect a lot from guys who could be still 5 years away from their peak, Petrie only really became a force at 27 or so… although was decent for a long time before then.

The wait is hard.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was one of the first to suggest Ledger wasn't getting games because he had s*** disposal, I rate anyone who can get the ball and see massive potential with him. Barlow isn't great but makes Freo a better team when he plays well. He needs to work on his game but there is lots to work with. He's too good to give up on yet. That said he had a shocker today but one game doesn't make a career, well unless your Pattison or Will Johnson.