Gilbert's value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert's value

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I would completely rule it out.
As in no chance GC would do that?
or
you don't like Caddy and want to keep Glibo?

As if the GC would do that unless we gave them at least a second rounder as well. Probably need to give them a very late first rounder. I still can only think of about one rumour that has been right in the 5 years I have been on here. However I can think of about 1000 that have been wrong.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
or

As if the GC would do that unless we gave them at least a second rounder as well. Probably need to give them a very late first rounder. I still can only think of about one rumour that has been right in the 5 years I have been on here. However I can think of about 1000 that have been wrong.
It was something I made up on the last page, Gilbert, Clarke & our 2nd pick for Caddy…

I hadn't heard the rumour before.

Caddy being a highly rated pick # 7 though, it might take something more like Gilbert & Joey…

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If we lose a Goddard or Dal Santo then Caddy would be a perfect replacement. That is why I suggested we use our compo pick on Caddy if we lose Goddard. Gilbert for Caddy is laughable.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
or

I agree would be a win for us. BUT Caddy might be really homesick or something so they might think it is better to do this kind of deal than have him nominate for the draft and end up at the demons for nothing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I agree would be a win for us. BUT Caddy might be really homesick or something so they might think it is better to do this kind of deal than have him nominate for the draft and end up at the demons for nothing.
If he really wants to return to Melbourne then the Demons or Dogs would be in the best position to trade with GC. Both have two picks each in the top 10. Realistically Caddy is worth a top 10 pick being a former pick 7.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo has had a charmed life with the Saints. This season for example, he has played just about every game, whereas Raph has had 3. They both play a similar role, including stuff-ups early in the game, but are viewed very differently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Gilbo has had a charmed life with the Saints. This season for example, he has played just about every game, whereas Raph has had 3. They both play a similar role, including stuff-ups early in the game, but are viewed very differently.
Gilbert is taller, stronger, faster and doesn't go to ground like Raph.
I would say 99% of people would have Gilbert in their side ahead of Raph.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Gilbo has had a charmed life with the Saints. This season for example, he has played just about every game, whereas Raph has had 3. They both play a similar role, including stuff-ups early in the game, but are viewed very differently.
Gilbert is taller, stronger, faster and doesn't go to ground like Raph.
I would say 99% of people would have Gilbert in their side ahead of Raph.
Raph's efforts to establish himself as a regular have not been helped by the failure of his body to hold up to week after week of footy. Think hamstrings.

When he's managed to string games together he's done well however inevitably he breaks down and is forced to start all over again.

It's unfortunate but apart from anything else Gilbo is certainly more durable.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

If he really wants to return to Melbourne then the Demons or Dogs would be in the best position to trade with GC. Both have two picks each in the top 10. Realistically Caddy is worth a top 10 pick being a former pick 7.
What would Gilbert be worth if GC were after him - not a lot of difference I wouldn't think. It may involve another player but more likely an exchange of draft picks eg 33 for 44 or similiar.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

What would Gilbert be worth if GC were after him - not a lot of difference I wouldn't think. It may involve another player but more likely an exchange of draft picks eg 33 for 44 or similiar.
For the record I'm a big Gilbert fan and wouldn't entertain a trade with him but for argument sake I reckon his value would be between pick 20-30 and Caddy around pick 5-15. Based on that I reckon Gilbert and our 1st rounder for Caddy and GC's 2nd round pick is fair. I realise that quite a few don't value Gilbert anywhere near that however that's where I see it. I reckon Watters values Gilbert highly as well and wouldn't think of trading him.

older saint
SS Life Member

Gilbert improved significantly when he moved from defence to the wing. His turnovers were less painful and this also helped his confidence as clearly he is soemone who is a confidence player. i am a big critic of his foot skills but they did improve

Working ont he buy low sell high theory then perhaps now is the time to shop him but you would be looking at a tall defender like the guy from Port for example ( name escapes me) - GC not that silly to give up Caddy .

reality will not be traded and as long as never put in defence again has potential to be very useful player in the future

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Gilbert improved significantly when he moved from defence to the wing. His turnovers were less painful and this also helped his confidence as clearly he is soemone who is a confidence player. i am a big critic of his foot skills but they did improve

Working ont he buy low sell high theory then perhaps now is the time to shop him but you would be looking at a tall defender like the guy from Port for example ( name escapes me) - GC not that silly to give up Caddy .

reality will not be traded and as long as never put in defence again has potential to be very useful player in the future
No doubt GC don't want to let Caddy go however they may be forced to if Caddy still wants to return home to his family in Melbourne. That's why it's being discussed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would not only trade him in a heart beat but would actively pursue a trade.

Gwilt, Fisher, Simpkin, Ferguson, Siposs, Goddard, Dempster ....... How many more tallish non-KPP's do we need whilst we are in dire need of a

Tall defender about 100kegs
A back up Ruckman
A developing key fwd

And of course more pure mids to replace our ageing mids eventually

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would not only trade him in a heart beat but would actively pursue a trade.

Gwilt, Fisher, Simpkin, Ferguson, Siposs, Goddard, Dempster ....... How many more tallish non-KPP's do we need whilst we are in dire need of a

Tall defender about 100kegs
A back up Ruckman
A developing key fwd

And of course more pure mids to replace our ageing mids eventually
Goddard all but gone
Fisher 31 next year
Ferguson the unknown
Gwilt has been poor post knee injury

With all that said I reckon Gilbert holds a bit more value

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he's not much chop, it's that simple....

Goddards not gone yet
Fisher's style will see him play another three at least
Ferguson is very promising
Siposs even moreso
Dempster probably will win the B&F
Gwilt can play but is asked to play above his height
Simpkin is absolutely impressive

All that said we need a power defender

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Club obviously rates him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Fortunately the club has re-siged him.

Gilbert has had a great year. Has been a quiet achiever after a bad 2011.

Often breaks the lines with his run and speed.

2013 will most likely see us as a quicker team...and yes with better footskills on average too.

Some of the poorer kicks will get squeezed out, but Gilbert has too many other virtues, including his versatility.

26 with 130 odd games. Gilbert is about to have his best football over the next couple of years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
andrewg
Club Player

I miss 2009 Gilbert he was amazing!!!!!!
2012 Gilbert is only a good trier.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:I miss 2009 Gilbert he was amazing!!!!!!
2012 Gilbert is only a good trier.
He was pretty good but had a lot to do with Ross' ability to manufacture the set up he wanted which helped get guys like Gilbert loose.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His kicking is deplorable!

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Looks like you can moan about it for another 3 years according to Mark Stevens on the HS website.

paddy
Club Player

great news... he will be golden next year...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert was ok in 2010, average in 2011 and nothing special in 2012

3 years he's been well down on his 2009 form

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it just needs it to come off the slipper better
he never used to be this bad

did he?

savatage
SS Life Member

He's had a very good 2012. Second half of the year his form has taken a massive jump up.