This Guy (Rossy) can coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Guy (Rossy) can coach

Most coaches can coach !
Having a good playing list is what its about . Look at the scott brothers , both played the same type of tough football , both coach the same way , however one got an average list so it has taken him time to get improvement . Lyon got two good lists , both teams have a dozen good players and he has the ability to get the rest to do a particular job . i'd like to see him with a list like Port's to see if he can build a good side .

In red white and black from 73
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think the reports are he can control who he meets by how he approaches this week?
Surely can't orchestrate a loss to Melb... that would be investigated...
Not sure.

Could 'rest' players with 'soreness' prior to the finals.

Over there though, it would be pretty obvious that the game was thrown.

AFL still deny it exists (shrugs)
Yup... they'd almost be mad to not rest 12 players etc if it was in their advantage to lose.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Witeout23 wrote:He inherited a good list when he came to the Saints, I could've coached them to the 2009-10 Grand finals.
:roll:
no its ABSOLUTELY true
you bang on about "revisionists" but your differing opinion on lyon is just that, a different historical point of view.
He was good coach in 2009, and we should have won the GF but didnt, and lots of things could have should have been done, end of sad story.
In the 2010 GF the game was lost at the selection table. But that year the game moved on, His coaching style didnt, and teams went flying past us. By 2011 the list couldnt cope with the new game & he was done at the saints.
He was gifted a good team and a club that dragged itself out of the sewers when he came to the saints.
And its the same with the dockers that was built by Harvey. (although I think Freo are a better overall team list - less reliant on so called "stars" and accross the board they are faster and more skilled)
:roll: to you too.

I suppose you could have coached the team to the grand Finals as well?

As for the 10 GF being lost at the selection table - umm it wasn't even lost :roll:

The team was cooked in the replay

More revisionist BS from a Lyon hater.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is obviously a talented individual in as far as demanding a certain level of performance. He isn't an all rounder as he tends towards go hard in a short time and worry about the future later. He pretty much took the Sydney blue print which won them a flag when they won't as good a list as the competition. When you look at the list he started with compared to what he left us with you would think he was not a good developer.

He took Mark Harveys work and will make himself into a star coach just as he did with us. He kind of reminds me of that monorail salesman in the Simpsons still though. Was nice getting close but footy is a mean game, a couple of straight kicks from a hero, same as GT. Ratten will probably go and an injury free list will see him added to a list of failures that is probably not overly deserved when a new coach takes them the next step.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hindsight: Understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed

Revisionist: Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine

I think you often confuse the two JB.

Then there is those like Sunsaint who have been consistent in their views the entire time.

I think it's actually quite understandable for people to question the selection for the 2010 grand final, if they thought that many of the players hadn't delivered on the big stage the year previous and would probably not do so again, that is actually an understandable POV.

It's not an opinion I share, but I can respect that opinion.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Witeout23 wrote:He inherited a good list when he came to the Saints, I could've coached them to the 2009-10 Grand finals.
He has now inherited a good list at Freo, they would've been thereabouts if Mark harvey had not been shafted.

Oh and he coached us really well against the Swans last year, didn't he?
Yeah, you think you could coach them. You are a deluded Nimbat

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I don't know RL personally but one thing I do know is that he is either deluded or a liar when he said that he had nothing to be ashamed of or words to that effect when he was appointed at Freo. The way Mark Harvey was treated was atrocious and weather he likes it or not he played a big part in it.

Yes, he is a very good coach but I give him a zero on ethics and loyalty.
Maybe you wouldn't feel that way if you heard his side of the story.

From what I have heard, it wasn't one way traffic on the deception front.

Anyway, bout time he was acknowledged as the coach he is - a good one.

I hated the revisionist BS about him "losing" flags for us :roll: Incredibly insular and deluded.

In say that I am happy he is gone. Got a good feeling already Watters is the man to take us forward.

Lyon has yet to prove he can do anything more than take a list that has been built for him.
I was referring about the way Mark Harvey coped it in the neck and then Ross claiming complete innocence. I thought that was a bit rich and so did a lot of others.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Everyone on TV or radio who have any idea about rate RL a great coach but what would they know. I have noticed we havent had to many threads on how Freo cant kick a goal lately. Some people cant get over it that much that they were even hoping we would lose to Carlton next week. Why anyone would want Carlton to make the finals over Freo is beyond any thinking Victorian who doesnt follow Carlton.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I dont know Ross Lyon personally so I cant comment on what kind of person he is. It left a bitter taste in my mouth the way he left us though. If he had been honest and called a presser and said "look, im leaving" I wouldnt have been so annoyed about it, But all that cloak and dagger stuff was just a slap in the face to me as a member and fan of the club.

In terms of is he a good coach? You bet he is. But he has the inability to foster youth and refersh a list enough to be a long term coach at 1 club. I am very very glad we have Scott Watters and am looking to bright days of youthful exuberant footy.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Were having a real bad 2012 due to injury too.
Very sad excuse, we've had one of the lowest injury lists all year. Our top 6 players have missed half a dozen games in total - all to Fisher…
Roo?

8856brother wrote:
dragit wrote:
Very sad excuse, we've had one of the lowest injury lists all year. Our top 6 players have missed half a dozen games in total - all to Fisher…
Roo?

He is 7th.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think the reports are he can control who he meets by how he approaches this week?
You cannot control how bad Melbourne are, that is not a variable.
North play GWS Saturday arvo. There % will rise well above Freo's. Collingwood will win, and West Coast would have also played by Saturday night when the Dockers play. Freo can then decide how badly they want to beat Melbourne by to finish 7th or 8th on %, after they know who will finish 5th and 6th.

Ross will know exactly how much he meeds to win by to choose who, and where, he wants to play in the first week of the finals.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
dragit wrote:
Roo?
True, though he's only going to miss three in the end.

Point is that most clubs above us have had more games missed to injury by good players than us… e.g. Franklin & Hodge have nearly missed a whole season between them…

dragit
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
dragit wrote:
You cannot control how bad Melbourne are, that is not a variable.
North play GWS Saturday arvo. There % will rise well above Freo's. Collingwood will win, and West Coast would have also played by Saturday night when the Dockers play. Freo can then decide how badly they want to beat Melbourne by to finish 7th or 8th on %, after they know who will finish 5th and 6th.

Ross will know exactly how much he meeds to win by to choose who, and where, he wants to play in the first week of the finals.
You're very sharp today bro… You been learning those sudoku's?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I don't know RL personally but one thing I do know is that he is either deluded or a liar when he said that he had nothing to be ashamed of or words to that effect when he was appointed at Freo. The way Mark Harvey was treated was atrocious and weather he likes it or not he played a big part in it.

Yes, he is a very good coach but I give him a zero on ethics and loyalty.
Maybe you wouldn't feel that way if you heard his side of the story.

From what I have heard, it wasn't one way traffic on the deception front.

Anyway, bout time he was acknowledged as the coach he is - a good one.

I hated the revisionist BS about him "losing" flags for us :roll: Incredibly insular and deluded.

In say that I am happy he is gone. Got a good feeling already Watters is the man to take us forward.

Lyon has yet to prove he can do anything more than take a list that has been built for him.
I was referring about the way Mark Harvey coped it in the neck and then Ross claiming complete innocence. I thought that was a bit rich and so did a lot of others.
So Ross is deluded is he? Do you even know what you are talking about? :roll:

Megsie
Club Player

Mark Harvey did the ground work.
He also could have had them in 8
This year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote: So Ross is deluded is he? Do you even know what you are talking about? :roll:
Yes I do and at least I have an opinion. Do you?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
clarky449 wrote: So Ross is deluded is he? Do you even know what you are talking about? :roll:
My opinion on Ross is clear. Strange comment by you, but then, wouldnt expect much from a clueless peanut.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
My opinion on Ross is clear. Strange comment by you, but then, wouldnt expect much from a clueless peanut.

I think concepts like ethics, morality and knifing a peer in the back might be a bit over your head Clarky.

I could write a lot worse about you but it's important to be kind to those less fortunate.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

We said he was a great coach when he was coaching us so I guess he still is.

To be fighting each other now over whether he is or not seems to be a little silly.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
I could write a lot worse about you but it's important to be kind to those less fortunate.
Write what ever you want about me. Less fortunate, really funny. You do seem to think you know alot about people over the internet.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Write what ever you want about me. Less fortunate, really funny. You do seem to think you know alot about people over the internet.
It's not rocket science Clarky but you can tell a lot about people from what they write. Like I've said before, I've seen your photos on twitter which confirms my perception of you. If you have a go at me I will have a go back.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
It's not rocket science Clarky but you can tell a lot about people from what they write. Like I've said before, I've seen your photos on twitter which confirms my perception of you. If you have a go at me I will have a go back.
If you think im less fortunate, how about i invite you over for some dinner, take a walk around my house and ill show you everything else i have in my life. Obviously your perception skills arent as good as you think. Getting a good laugh out of you. Photos on twitter, thank you for looking at me, its got nothing bad on there, please send me a PM about your perception of me, i want to know.
Last edited by clarky449 on Mon 27 Aug 2012 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I dont know Ross Lyon personally so I cant comment on what kind of person he is. It left a bitter taste in my mouth the way he left us though. If he had been honest and called a presser and said "look, im leaving" I wouldnt have been so annoyed about it, But all that cloak and dagger stuff was just a slap in the face to me as a member and fan of the club.

In terms of is he a good coach? You bet he is. But he has the inability to foster youth and refersh a list enough to be a long term coach at 1 club. I am very very glad we have Scott Watters and am looking to bright days of youthful exuberant footy.

BANG BANG
Well said.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's a gun coach and I reckon we screwed up big time

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs