Our best ever pre-season coming up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Our best ever pre-season coming up

For the 1st time since 2007, assuming we miss the eight, we will have a full 6 month pre season. In fact it's already began with some surgerys.

2007 was a long pre season with a good coach (at the time) and good fitness management staff, but I believe with Watters and his Collingwood background we are even better placed this year.

Watters didn't start till mid October last year so has about 2 months extra this year to complete his off season plan.

Coupled with the excellent draft picks from the past two years and whatever we draft this year, which we can assume will e quality, we should expect huge development by April 2013.

Exciting stuff.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our best ever pre-season coming up

I'm looking forward to it .
The kids who have shown promise this year will gain that little bit extra and hopefully be ready to shine !

In red white and black from 73
Chef attack
Club Player

Where are we going? Nz?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="saintspremiers"]For the 1st time since 2007, assuming we miss the eight, we will have a full 6 month pre season. In fact it's already began with some surgerys.

Assuming we miss the eight !!

I've just done the ladder predictor this morn, not only do I have us making the eight, but making the G.F as well. :wink:

Chef attack
Club Player

:D
Stephen Theodore wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:For the 1st time since 2007, assuming we miss the eight, we will have a full 6 month pre season. In fact it's already began with some surgerys.

Assuming we miss the eight !!

I've just done the ladder predictor this morn, not only do I have us making the eight, but making the G.F as well. :wink:
:D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes on the upside:

* for 2013 we will be say a month in front of where we would have been if we had played finals.
* several more youngster will have had an extra game or two (unless Watters prefer them yo play VFL finals)
* by being out of the 8 we should gain a more favourable draw (but with the AFL who knows....)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I have really enjoyed this season because we have introduced some players that look like they might have a future however they may suffer from second year blues and the real measure may be how they perform in 2014 and beyond to answer the question of whether they are capable of continued improvement and consistency and also if they can play without the benefits they have enjoyed this year from of our ageing seniors what will taper or being leaving the team.

I'm really looking forward to 2013 soley for the reasons above and also to see if we can introduce some more new players with the ever sought after potential.

I don't think we will make the 8 next year but yeah a good pre-season will be good.

Foz
Club Player

Does anyone think there will be a push by the club to go to the US for altitude training over the pre-season?

I can't see a reason with a few ex Collingwood employees now at the club that it wouldn't be far from happening?

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

Coupled with the excellent draft picks from the past two years and whatever we draft this year, which we can assume will e quality, we should expect huge development by April 2013.

Exciting stuff.
Why should "assume" they will be quality picks?

We've drafted quite well in the last two summers, but the draft is always tricky.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Watters and pelchen will be well prepared come the trade and drafting period .
Players like snides and fish are already having op's so come first training , we should hopefully have everyone raring to go .
Players also are fully understanding of watter's coaching , so bring on round 1 2013 !

In red white and black from 73
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Why go to Arizona? Get to the Grampians, or Doongalla :wink:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:Does anyone think there will be a push by the club to go to the US for altitude training over the pre-season?

I can't see a reason with a few ex Collingwood employees now at the club that it wouldn't be far from happening?

Laidley stated that the saints would be doing ultitude training nov or dec

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Why go to Arizona? Get to the Grampians, or Doongalla :wink:

they have't actually said USA but Pies are looking at going to Utah- so one assumption maybe Arizona is free for us.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I say, Altitude training is all well and good, IF you're the only side doing it. Where does the "edge" come from if a whole ruck of sides get into it? FWIW I think there's no substitute for ATTITUDE training i/e HARD WORK!!!! in the pre-season, and having done a wee bit of bushwalking lately, I know that there are heaps of places where the boys could get the necessary hard work and bonding done during pre season. We have a whole choice of places to go right here in Australia. Grampians, Flinders ranges, .....Doongalla? :wink:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)