Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Re: Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his va

We are paying Gram 500k a year for playing in th twos based on that and Grams output+ability we should be paying BJ around the 3million mark a year:-

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If we have to make him Captain to keep him then we dont want him. I am still to see anything that he has over other players that suggests he would be a great Captain and I certainly dont see why he should have been Captain this year.

I want BJ to stay but i want to be able to look at trading and free agency. Not sure we can if he stays and gets paid overs unless we get rid of someone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:We are paying Gram 500k a year for playing in th twos based on that and Grams output+ability we should be paying BJ around the 3million mark a year:-

Excellent point. maybe that is why we shouldnt give BJ 4 years. When Gram was signed he was playing well. Still a stupid contract though from the sounds of it. Do we want to say in 4 years if BJ is getting 600k then Siposs should be getting 3 million?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Make him captain as should have been done at the start of this year.

Rooey says he is okay with it.
I agree Carl.

How is Leigh Matthews form today...

There is opinion, and there is having a bit of a personal go at a player.

Only part of that interview that was accurate was when he said 'I don't know how BJ is around the club'
Yes Matthews is becoming a bit of a try-hard and negative - seems like another cheap shot just for the sake of it. Does he watch players every week like the coaching panels and supporters do?

As you said, how would Matthews know what Goddard is like around the club? Some players lift with more responsiblity. I would have Hayes captain, but would be happy if Riewoldt kept it or they gave it to Goddard.

Stand your ground :shock:
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Who was in charge of contracts before the current group? When GT got sacked, a lot of his detractors were talking about how great it would be to have somebody other than the coach deal with contracts. We then signed Leigh Fisher to a near lifetime contract while he was on the fringes of the 22, signed Brad Howard for 2 years and delisted him two weeks later and signed guys like Gram and Koschitzke to lengthy, costly extensions with easily achievable incentives. Paying overs for Ball and long contracts for Hamill and Penny look like genius by comparison.

Given the number of players who have been overpaid by this club over the past decade, I reckon it's a tragedy that Lenny never got over $500K. If there's one player that you'd like to be overpaid by the club, it's got to be him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:We are paying Gram 500k a year for playing in th twos based on that and Grams output+ability we should be paying BJ around the 3million mark a year:-
Excellent point. maybe that is why we shouldnt give BJ 4 years. When Gram was signed he was playing well. Still a stupid contract though from the sounds of it. Do we want to say in 4 years if BJ is getting 600k then Siposs should be getting 3 million?

Just wonder where people get these estimates on salaries - would Gram really be on that much? I reckon he would be lucky to be on
$350-400k, and even that might be back-ended. I thought around that contract time Gram (and Koschitzke) wanted the security of a longer term deal rather than big $$

Same stuff used to be written about Ball - after he left of course - huge salary figures were mentioned on here, and yet I heard and read his last year was heavily back-ended.....

Stand your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we have to make him Captain to keep him then we dont want him. I am still to see anything that he has over other players that suggests he would be a great Captain and I certainly dont see why he should have been Captain this year.

I want BJ to stay but i want to be able to look at trading and free agency. Not sure we can if he stays and gets paid overs unless we get rid of someone else.
When Richmonds finals chances were dashed, Newman couldn't get off the ground soon enough after not going up to anyone, it was Cotchin going around shaking hands and doing interviews.

It's a small example of why I think Cotchin should be rewarded with the captaincy next year, not because Newman hasn't been a good captain, but sometimes you see things that should be harnessed and developed.

I saw similar in the drawn grand final, a maturity in BJ that I'd like to see rewarded with some responsibility so we can see some more. After doing everything he could to win, once the siren went and while everyone else was sitting on the ground stunned, it was BJ that got everyone together in a huddle to focus on next week...and it was BJ who (while everyone was reluctant to) that fronted the cameras and articulated how the boys were feeling.

People will probably say big deal, but I think it's times like those that we see the most 'natural' leaders emerge, not preconcieved...gift of the gab type leadership....just knowing what to do instinctively.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If we have to make him Captain to keep him then we dont want him. I am still to see anything that he has over other players that suggests he would be a great Captain and I certainly dont see why he should have been Captain this year.

When Richmonds finals chances were dashed, Newman couldn't get off the ground soon enough after not going up to anyone, it was Cotchin going around shaking hands and doing interviews.

It's a small example of why I think Cotchin should be rewarded with the captaincy next year, not because Newman hasn't been a good captain, but sometimes you see things that should be harnessed and developed.

I saw similar in the drawn grand final, a maturity in BJ that I'd like to see rewarded with some responsibility so we can see some more. After doing everything he could to win, once the siren went and while everyone else was sitting on the ground stunned, it was BJ that got everyone together in a huddle to focus on next week...and it was BJ who (while everyone was reluctant to) that fronted the cameras and articulated how the boys were feeling.

People will probably say big deal, but I think it's times like those that we see the most 'natural' leaders emerge, not preconcieved...gift of the gab type leadership....just knowing what to do instinctively.
I like Goddard's passion. It can spill over into bad attitude, but would be the Alan Border hard leader type not you cuddly type, we could use a bad cop for scotty.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Unfortuantely, free agency means the saints get nothing should Goddard decide to leave. Once you take the emotion out of things, you have to ask will BJ be around when we are ready to have another crack at a premiership? Depending on how you rate the current list, I would say no. Therefore saving room in the salary cap for our next wave of emerging stars sounds like a fairly sound strategy.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:Unfortuantely, free agency means the saints get nothing should Goddard decide to leave.
no, it doesn't.

66 Saints
Club Player

Haven't had time to read the papers today- has this been reported elsewhere or is it Barrett speculation? Seems an odd way to negotiate unless club and and player are miles apart.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

66 Saints wrote:Haven't had time to read the papers today- has this been reported elsewhere or is it Barrett speculation? Seems an odd way to negotiate unless club and and player are miles apart.

Scott's response
http://www.saints.com.au/video%20%20aud ... #playvideo

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Rosco
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Kick-it-lace-out wrote:Unfortuantely, free agency means the saints get nothing should Goddard decide to leave.
no, it doesn't.
Only if we pick up a free agent of our own. Which is bollocks cos the chances that the two players are equal is pretty low.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
66 Saints
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
66 Saints wrote:Haven't had time to read the papers today- has this been reported elsewhere or is it Barrett speculation? Seems an odd way to negotiate unless club and and player are miles apart.

Scott's response
http://www.saints.com.au/video%20%20aud ... #playvideo
Thanks Saintbrat. Looks to me like he'll going. His management must have a sniff of something much larger than we've put up. We could be the first to lose a big player in free agency, lets hope we can get a good pick for him. On the otherhand free agency could well be a good thing for us in a few years time when we have a few seasons into our young blokes and are back on the up- we will hopfully have the coin in the cap to chase a couple of top line players to complement our (hopefully) emerging list.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'm confused (again)... If Grammy is being 'rested' coz of soreness according to Cuddles in that presser video, then why have all the official AFL releases, including the STKFC official email, listed him quite specifically as omitted??? :oops:

Yes, I'm still not a fan of Grammy's long term position on our team list secondary to his (apparently) overs salary and clear underperformance given his ability. But that's a separate issue... fair is fair, Grammy was not only very good last week (and) against a very good team, he was even considered by most of the footy scribes on here to be our best player. :shock:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Well this smells like the Saints not being bothered to make an appropriate offere for a player that - at his best - plays like one of the greats. My prediction is that we will lose him and that we will not finish above 12th for the next three years or more. Very sad and solemn times ahead I am afraid.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Retaining Goddard should be the clubs number one priority; I just don't like the way the club has gone about this. He's a star, pay him appropriately. We need him to lead the next generation.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i dont like how they have handled it either As the days go by its getting clearer that he is going though sad :(

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Pretty obvious that if we can in fact get good compensation then St K prefer to offload him. I've been saying as much all season. The benefits are we save a significant amount on salary cap space and load up on lower draft picks. I would be very surprised if the club has offered much more than 1.5 mil over three years.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote: People will probably say big deal, but I think it's times like those that we see the most 'natural' leaders emerge, not preconcieved...gift of the gab type leadership....just knowing what to do instinctively.
yeah I will be one of the ones saying big deal
the game you mention, was one moment two years ago
I can equally remind you what Lyon had to do with Goddard after that - tell him to go away in the off season & the early games to get his head right...
which he never did during that year, and it was obvious to those who follow closely he is not right
This year the criticisms have mounted externally, not just one person but many have observed his attitude/performance.

The fact is if he REALLY wanted to stay at the saints he would have signed long ago, for this one reason alone I would not give him the captaincy. ANd here is the the thing, IF he does stay , and he does get the captaincy, it wasnt earnt, it was just bought by the club.
PS I once watched him do a 15min tv interview, chewing gum like cud

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

battye wrote:Retaining Goddard should be the clubs number one priority; I just don't like the way the club has gone about this. He's a star, pay him appropriately. We need him to lead the next generation.
he would easily be the clubs second highest paid player
the ball has always been in goddards court, this is not the clubs fault

Seeya
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

FWIW

Jack- one of his best friends
says he is staying...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
defacto
Club Player

freo's offer confirms a couple of things:
1) cloke has told them no. must have told melbourne no as well.
2) have given up on securing wellingham which would be a step towards securing buddy as well