our trading

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nobhead
Club Player

our trading

looked at our trading from 2007-2010 interesting reading
although alot of our picks were late picks , there are alot of players we picked no longer at the club
here is a list for everyone
ejay connors
nick heyne
alistar smith
colm begley
jesse smith
adam pattison
will johnson
dawson
luke miles
ryan gamble
gehrig re drafted in 2007 pick 57
polo pick 103 soon to be gone
the point of the exercise was imo ,i beleive we need to improve in our selections especialy with our late picks or we need to try and improve our position in the draft to get earlier selections to try to improve the depth of our squad.thoughts????

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: our trading

every club would have a list of failures like this , its the nature of the draft .

In red white and black from 73
stevie
Saintsational Legend

You forgot Charlie Gardiner. Or was that on purpose to stop the torture? Lol

nobhead
Club Player

stevie wrote:You forgot Charlie Gardiner. Or was that on purpose to stop the torture? Lol
and lovett and yes

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we had a few terrible recruitment years back then for sure. i think the club was grossly under-resourced in recruitment at this point in time.
hopefully we have improved this last few years which i think we have.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That list is an example of why your recruiting department needs to be probably the best resourced area at your club.

For years Bevo operated on a shoestring & relied on his ability to get around to as many junior games as possible & the reports of a small group of volunteers.

Under Peake that improved marginally.

Now Elshaug has a much better network to rely on but it's still a massive way behind the rich clubs. It's akin to comparing an outback cop shop with Scotland Yard.

I think supporters should remember that when using hindsight to criticise recruiting (especially drafting) decisions.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

you forgot Lynch and Walsh.

Both huge successes at their new clubs.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

nobhead wrote:looked at our trading from 2007-2010 interesting reading
although alot of our picks were late picks , there are alot of players we picked no longer at the club
ejay connors
nick heyne
alistar smith
colm begley
jesse smith
adam pattison
will johnson
dawson
luke miles
ryan gamble
the point of the exercise was imo ,i beleive we need to improve in our selections especialy with our late picks or we need to try and improve our position in the draft to get earlier selections to try to improve the depth of our squad.thoughts????

From this list, I think only Ryan Gamble was acquired via trade?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

f*** you Ross Lyon.

I am sorry.

I will get over it one of these days.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
nobhead
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:That list is an example of why your recruiting department needs to be probably the best resourced area at your club.

For years Bevo operated on a shoestring & relied on his ability to get around to as many junior games as possible & the reports of a small group of volunteers.

Under Peake that improved marginally.

Now Elshaug has a much better network to rely on but it's still a massive way behind the rich clubs. It's akin to comparing an outback cop shop with Scotland Yard.

I think supporters should remember that when using hindsight to criticise recruiting (especially drafting) decisions.
was not a critisim but did it exactly for the reason you pointed out .that is we need to be 1 of the best rescourced clubs in this area . history shows that clubs that get this right will be successful for a very long time . and you don't necessarily need early draft picks to do it you need the best people to pick the eyes out of the talent in the country.instead of going for recycled players to plug holes in your list. recruit for the long term not the now.

nobhead
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
nobhead wrote:looked at our trading from 2007-2010 interesting reading
ejay connors
nick heyne
alistar smith
colm begley
jesse smith
adam pattison
will johnson
dawson
luke miles
ryan gamble

From this list, I think only Ryan Gamble was acquired via trade?
correct that list is from national draft

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The only top-20 picks in our 22 this week are BJ, Mac, Lenny and Dal. Plenty of mid-to-late round talent in the squad.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

nobhead wrote:was not a critisim but did it exactly for the reason you pointed out .that is we need to be 1 of the best rescourced clubs in this area . history shows that clubs that get this right will be successful for a very long time . and you don't necessarily need early draft picks to do it you need the best people to pick the eyes out of the talent in the country.
what about player development?

collingwood are ok at drafting, not necessarily the best or the worst, but where they do really well is in getting players to perform to the best of their ability. sidebottom's not yet 22 and he's played 80 games. this year they've played rounds, sinclair, seedsman, young, ugle, fasolo, elliott, mooney, paine, williams, yagmoor - all under 21 years old, and mostly performing pretty well.

if we had the resources and ability they have at development then connors, heyne and al smith, at least, would have played more games and probably turned out to be ok players. recruiting is important but development is key.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
nobhead wrote:was not a critisim but did it exactly for the reason you pointed out .that is we need to be 1 of the best rescourced clubs in this area . history shows that clubs that get this right will be successful for a very long time . and you don't necessarily need early draft picks to do it you need the best people to pick the eyes out of the talent in the country.
what about player development?

collingwood are ok at drafting, not necessarily the best or the worst, but where they do really well is in getting players to perform to the best of their ability. sidebottom's not yet 22 and he's played 80 games. this year they've played rounds, sinclair, seedsman, young, ugle, fasolo, elliott, mooney, paine, williams, yagmoor - all under 21 years old, and mostly performing pretty well.

if we had the resources and ability they have at development then connors, heyne and al smith, at least, would have played more games and probably turned out to be ok players. recruiting is important but development is key.
A salary cap on football department spend would be nice!

IMO you can't split recruiting & development. Both are vital.