Roos says Saints have Underachieved

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roos says Saints have Underachieved

elizabethr wrote:Roos is an unashamed apologist for his partner Lyin and cannot be taken seriously on ANY subject remotely related to his pin-up boy.
The bloke is an absolute moron. He sill hasn't had the balls to say what he believed happened to Ross at St Kilda. He was happy to say we made it impossible for Ross to stay, and that if we knew we would understand why he left. He is full of sh#t.

Have we all forgotten about his commentry during the Swans and Saints game a few weeks ago. He made a fool of himself. The bloke is a tool with an agenda.

8856brother wrote:
elizabethr wrote:Roos is an unashamed apologist for his partner Lyin and cannot be taken seriously on ANY subject remotely related to his pin-up boy.
The bloke is an absolute moron. He sill hasn't had the balls to say what he believed happened to Ross at St Kilda. He was happy to say we made it impossible for Ross to stay, and that if we knew we would understand why he left. He is full of sh#t.

Have we all forgotten about his commentry during the Swans and Saints game a few weeks ago. He made a fool of himself. The bloke is a tool with an agenda.

Just because he's a c%ckhead doesn't mean he's not right about us under achieving. :? :?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Just because he's a c%ckhead doesn't mean he's not right about us under achieving. :? :?
KB on Sen this morning disagreed with Roos as did most callers, and so do I. Roos IS a c%ckhead, as well as being wrong. The 2 things don't go hand in hand, but in Roo's case they do. Most experts had us missing the 8. He has an agenda.

We certainly haven't over achieved though. :)

Saintsational Legend

We have not won a close game this year at all.

We have had games like Port where we took half a game off, and lost as a result.

3 of our oldest players in Roo, Mile and Hayes each had very good year. If you had told me how good a year those 3 would have had at the start of the year, I would have said that we should be contenders to go top 4 again.

Against that the year proved how big a handicap not having a true full back was, as game after game good big forwards monstered us.

However all in all we should have made the 8. Team definitely underachieved this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Roos is a bit of a c**k eh.

I kind of agree that we underachieved. At the start of the year I thought we were a bit of an unknown. Not really sure where or how we would go.

I think our development this year has been good. But we lost games that we should have won. Too many games.

Some things have been good and some have been bad.

Making the finals is the pass mark really. That said, I doubt we would have won a final. Missing the eight might work in our longer term favor.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

I think our best and fairest will tell us how we're heading as a club going forward.

If the top 10 all made up of players 28/29 or over, then we are in deep crap.

Roos is a prick but he's no fool.

We definately underachieved big time IMHO .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:I think our best and fairest will tell us how we're heading as a club going forward.

If the top 10 all made up of players 28/29 or over, then we are in deep crap.

Roos is a prick but he's no fool.

We definately underachieved big time IMHO .
Interesting post.

I think Lenny/Dempster/Geary/Roo will feature most heavily...if it's emphasised a lot on effort than Gilbert/Ben will be up there also.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:… we beat carlton & essendon when everybody was beating them....
Carlton were 5 and 1 when we played them in Round 7....
Essendon were 10 and 3 and hadn't lost for a month....

I dont think either of them were travelling too badly when they played us.
I don't think we underachieved...I started the year without any expectation whatsoever because of all the uncertainty that comes with a new coach and a new coaching group. Personally, I felt that a mini rebuild was required for the Saints to be a top 4 club again, but I wanted the team and the club to aim high and if we could win enough games and be a top 6 contender, I thought that the core group had enough hunger for another tilt at a GF.

I guess I was optimistic and hoped like hell that most of our list would be injury free. The fact that our spine KPP copped 4 or 6 week layoffs really hurt us, and I think the playing group took a while to shake off the negativity surrounding the loss of Lyon and some of the medias perception of our closing premiership window had rubbed off. How could they escape Lyon's negativity about the 'end of an era' ramifications?

Most pundits and hotshot media types had us missing the 8 and after the disastrous start in Round 1, everyone was quick to write us off. The confidence of the group wasn't good with that round 1 defeat and their belief that the team could mount a challenge in 2012 took a massive blow.

We played 3 games in a row in April on the rock hard Etihad surface and lost to Freo in a tight match with some comical decisions in the last quarter and coincidentally...it was off a 6 day break. We took it up to the Hawks for 3 quarters even though we were severely undersized and had terrible match-ups down back. Up until some howlers from the umps and some magic from Cyril it was a tight contest.

We had to play Richmond off the back of three 6 day breaks in a row and 1 of those 6 day breaks involved a trip to Subiaco. The Tigers just pipped us at the post and they were in devastating form at the time, having beaten both Sydney and Hawthorn.

We played Adelaide coming off another 6 day break and TWO interstate trips in a row. Adelaide forward Tippett monstered us in the first half and in the end, Adelaide were lucky to hang on, as the Saints nearly came marching in like a freight train.

We could have built some momentum with victories against Adelaide and Richmond and we may not have had such a hard task if we'd gambled a bit throughout the middle parts of the year. The match committee and the leadership group should have made some calculated decisions and managed some of the players a bit better and demanded that they sit out against the likes of the Suns. Our strong percentage in the end won't count for anything if North, Geelong and Freo are ahead of us and in the 8.

Another close loss against a top 4 contender in Collingwood is evidence that we weren't far off from challenging for a top 6 spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:… we beat carlton & essendon when everybody was beating them....
Carlton were 5 and 1 when we played them in Round 7....
Essendon were 10 and 3 and hadn't lost for a month....

I dont think either of them were travelling too badly when they played us.
I don't think we underachieved...I started the year without any expectation whatsoever because of all the uncertainty that comes with a new coach and a new coaching group. Personally, I felt that a mini rebuild was required for the Saints to be a top 4 club again, but I wanted the team and the club to aim high and if we could win enough games and be a top 6 contender, I thought that the core group had enough hunger for another tilt at a GF.

I guess I was optimistic and hoped like hell that most of our list would be injury free. The fact that our spine KPP copped 4 or 6 week layoffs really hurt us, and I think the playing group took a while to shake off the negativity surrounding the loss of Lyon and some of the medias perception of our closing premiership window had rubbed off. How could they escape Lyon's negativity about the 'end of an era' ramifications?

Most pundits and hotshot media types had us missing the 8 and after the disastrous start in Round 1, everyone was quick to write us off. The confidence of the group wasn't good with that round 1 defeat and their belief that the team could mount a challenge in 2012 took a massive blow.

We played 3 games in a row in April on the rock hard Etihad surface and lost to Freo in a tight match with some comical decisions in the last quarter and coincidentally...it was off a 6 day break. We took it up to the Hawks for 3 quarters even though we were severely undersized and had terrible match-ups down back. Up until some howlers from the umps and some magic from Cyril it was a tight contest.

We had to play Richmond off the back of three 6 day breaks in a row and 1 of those 6 day breaks involved a trip to Subiaco. The Tigers just pipped us at the post and they were in devastating form at the time, having beaten both Sydney and Hawthorn.

We played Adelaide coming off another 6 day break and TWO interstate trips in a row. Adelaide forward Tippett monstered us in the first half and in the end, Adelaide were lucky to hang on, as the Saints nearly came marching in like a freight train.

We could have built some momentum with victories against Adelaide and Richmond and we may not have had such a hard task if we'd gambled a bit throughout the middle parts of the year. The match committee and the leadership group should have made some calculated decisions and managed some of the players a bit better and demanded that they sit out against the likes of the Suns. Our strong percentage in the end won't count for anything if North, Geelong and Freo are ahead of us and in the 8.

Another close loss against a top 4 contender in Collingwood is evidence that we weren't far off from challenging for a top 6 spot.

When they write about where our club finished this year it will around 10th or 11th. It wont have excuses in it. You can look at it the other way as well. We hardly had injuries, we had nearly the most guys play 22 games in the AFL and we had a good draw as far as who we played twice. We finished about where we deserved to finish for all the excuses and all the positives.

We have had a great run but it is our turn to rebuild. Next year will see us struggle a bit more IMO because we have champions that will not improve and some that eventually must go backwards and our young guys will not be able to cover the gap. And you must improve about 10% just to stay at the same level.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree pluggsy

Next year will be tougher than this

“Yeah….nah””
jays
Club Player

new game plan new coach we will be better next year

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

saintspremiers wrote:
philtee wrote:Agree. Didn't help that his mate did a runner.
Faark Lyon. That's not the biggie.

The biggie is losing Dawson. With him, I reckon we would've made the 8.
Haha!!!

Good gag!

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I agree pluggsy

Next year will be tougher than this
I agree in the sense that Scott will need to blood the youth on a major scale, I guess a lot will depend on how they handle it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it - we beat Port in round 1 and all of this anxiety wouldnt be there. We would all be looking forward to a week 1 final v the Eagles in Perth which I would be seeing live.

So really Roos is right - we shouldnt have lost to those clowns and we should be playing a final. We have really being playing catch-up ever since round 1.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:new game plan new coach we will be better next year
Not true. If we dont have the players to compete with the best, we wont go far. Pretty standard in footy.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lets face it - we beat Port in round 1 and all of this anxiety wouldnt be there. We would all be looking forward to a week 1 final v the Eagles in Perth which I would be seeing live.

So really Roos is right - we shouldnt have lost to those clowns and we should be playing a final. We have really being playing catch-up ever since round 1.
Not really, we're 8 points behind freo at the moment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Lets face it - we beat Port in round 1 and all of this anxiety wouldnt be there. We would all be looking forward to a week 1 final v the Eagles in Perth which I would be seeing live.

Not really, we're 8 points behind freo at the moment.
yeah well true - and now they will finish 2 games clear of us anyhow.

point is we are 11th or whatever we are so one of the following is true ;

1. we under-achieved; OR
2. we are a very middle of the road and ordinary team on the decline

so people bagging/disagreeing with roos on 1.have to own up to 2.

they cant have it neither way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Crowley looking like being out for Freo, you'd have guessed he'd have run with Harvey....Pav also carrying some kind of groin strain.

North will probably win this.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
point is we are 11th or whatever we are so one of the following is true ;

1. we under-achieved; OR
2. we are a very middle of the road and ordinary team on the decline

so people bagging/disagreeing with roos on 1.have to own up to 2.

they cant have it neither way.
oh there is option 3 that gets a good run on SS:

3. we are really really good but afl/umpires conspiracy cost us a spot in finals.

Richter
SS Life Member

Perhaps if his mate had pumped more games in to young players over the last 2-3 years our underbelly would not be as raw as it has been this year. No dbout that next year there is a lot of scope for players currently 10-20 talent-wise on our list to improve. That's the first time we can say that for a few years.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
rct63
Club Player

Roos is right, but they have underachieved for nearly 140 years, not just this one.

*SIGH*
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our 3 best players (roo, lenny and milne) are on the decline.

Of the next tier - BJ, Fisher, Dal, Joey - Bj might be going, Fisher is on the decline, Dal is steady and Joey possibly on the decline.

So that means we will need real improvement from 6 players next year just to break even and finish 10th again.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The important thing here is that we all come together and hate roosey as a team, whether he says he thinks we will finish first or last is irrelevant.

howlinwolf
Club Player

His other lovechild, Longmire only won 11 games in his first year.
That's because their list wasn't as good as ours ?
Watter's will coach to a probable 11 wins and he has under achieved ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Paul Roos on On The Couch last night said that the Saints had underachieved this year given the caliber of our 6 or 7 top players.

Is he just having another swipe at us or is he fair dinkum?

Do you Agree or Disagree?

I don't like saying it but I think he's right.

Agree.
I disagree. Whilst I was expecting to make the finals I do think 12 wins is probably where we are at for the first year with a great upper tier and a new coach.

Who knows next year?

Roos is becoming the bogan's-intellectual though. So he should shut it before Reincarnated orders a hit on his candy ass