Should Kosi be given a farewell game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Should Kosi be given a farewell game?

From Paul8 :
Interesting tweet @ noon from Mick Warner of the HS
"Past 6 rds one key fwd (StK) just 25 marks, experts & fans want him cut. Another key fwd (Coll) 24 marks, wants $1m a year"
Good get Paul8. I suppose the difference is that one is moving forward and the other is going backwards!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:Lyon experimented with Kosi as a key forward and it met with only partial success.

It was worth a try, but I'd have had him back in the ruck full time as early as 2009.

Now it may be too late to move him back.

I've always liked Kosi, but seeing him like a fish out of water as a key forward is difficult to watch.
None of the above actually happened so I have no idea what planet you are on.

Kosi played at full-forward for the entire year in 2009 and kicked 45 goals.

This was a fantastic result considering Milne kicked 60 and Roo also kicked 60.

He never rucked full-time and if he did he should have received an All-Australian award for kicking 45 goals predominately from the ruck.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Lyon experimented with Kosi as a key forward and it met with only partial success.

It was worth a try, but I'd have had him back in the ruck full time as early as 2009.

Now it may be too late to move him back.

I've always liked Kosi, but seeing him like a fish out of water as a key forward is difficult to watch.
None of the above actually happened so I have no idea what planet you are on.

Kosi played at full-forward for the entire year in 2009 and kicked 45 goals.

This was a fantastic result considering Milne kicked 60 and Roo also kicked 60.

He never rucked full-time and if he did he should have received an All-Australian award for kicking 45 goals predominately from the ruck.
Some of us go back further than 2009.

Kosi was moved to full forward at the start of 2008 from memory. He kicked 30 that year.

Considering he ultimately replaced Gehrig, a Coleman medallist and 100 goal kicker, I would definitely say the experiment to turn him into a full time forward met with only partial success.

Before that he was a ruckman who drifted forward and kicked goals, the role he looked best in and, with hindsight, should have stayed in.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:From Paul8 :
"Past 6 rds one key fwd (StK) just 25 marks, experts & fans want him cut. Another key fwd (Coll) 24 marks, wants $1m a year"
Good get Paul8. I suppose the difference is that one is moving forward and the other is going backwards!
I don't want him cut.

I'll make that clear.

I just am saddened by the happenings Saturday night, and hope he can come back from that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm tipping come round 1 2013, Kosi will line up at Full Forward, unless he's injured

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Well, what are his pro's and cons?

Pro's:
He is a very good contested mark.
He is a very good pack mark.
He hits a marking contest extremely hard.
He is a great set shot for goal.

Cons:
He is an average ruckman at best.
Does not have the tank, spring or agility to ruck.
Does not have the size to monster ruck contests.
Can get moved off the ball in ruck contests far too easily.
Defensively he is found wanting around the ground. Regularly.
His second efforts in any position, or when the ball hits the deck in general, are non existent.
That last one is his biggest, most glaring and most damaging shortcoming.

Whatever the club decides, they damn well better make sure he is right as he steps away from football. This bloke won a rising star award at CHB in one of the worst teams we have ever put on the park. He broke down the next year with stress fractures in his back. This could have been avoided. Who is at fault there?
IF he has issues with his squash, then we have to look after him. Say what you want, bleat and carry on about him on this forum, but Kosi is a long term club man and he deserves our respect.

IMHO Kos could have been an absolute superstar. There were times in his first four years or so that I thought he was better, flat out more talented than Roo. I reckon the club has a certain responsibility in how his body was managed.

But that is just my opinion.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I want Kosi retained - but on $50,000 per year. Not $550,000.

It's his wage that kills me. He's given us plenty - but value for money he has not been.

I estimated that he's earned around $4 million in wages from this club since being signed in November 2001. That's a lot of money. Of course, he's absorbed many blows along the way, but he won't have to work again in his life.

I'd really like it if, as a gesture of good will, he stayed for minimum wages next season.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bushman
Club Player

I doubt there is a person on this forum who would not have loved him to be a champion but when its up it's up and the team comes first. Time to bow out and give another the chance, thanks for the effort but when i think about it I can't remember too many highlights despite all that I wish for.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'm tipping come round 1 2013, Kosi will line up at Full Forward, unless he's injured
If this is the case - we are headed for bottom 4 and wasting a year on developing someone.

Kosi has been very admirable and huge for us - but he should probably retire himself. He is simply too immobile to play AFL football anymore.
Next year will simply be really humiliating and painful if we have to watch it again..

Id like to see us go very hard for an 18 year old tall fwd in this years draft/trade period. Play the kid for maybe 10 games and Wilkes for 12 at FF.

Play Ferg in the backline and also play Rhys every game possible as a fwd/ruckman.

Kosi playing on another year is a total waste of time for the club.

shmic_s
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:From Paul8 :
I don't want him cut.

I'll make that clear.

I just am saddened by the happenings Saturday night, and hope he can come back from that.
Can't believe our supporters were booing him off. Great tweet from Mick Warner.
Kosi isn't going anywhere next season. Find someone in the league that can play the role he does and isn't going to cost us an arm or a leg.

I just hope behaviour like Friday night isn't going to make Stanley or another young player think more about taking a bigger pay cheque and run.
If our supporters aren't loyal, so why should they be? The people bagging Kosi will be the first ones to rip into a player if they did leave.

supersaints
Club Player

IMO Kosi has never been the same since he was hit in the head by a bulldog geon serakusa? Whatever his name is . when he lined Kosi up and hit him with both feet off the ground.. Not even reported for what was a dog act.
Sad really

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

That happened right in front of us.....I was sitting with Barks and Joffaboy....

We all saw it coming....Kosi didnt.

Who would have been better last friday?

Siposs coming off a good four goal game @ Sandy? Or Kosi getting one handball?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
I'd really like it if, as a gesture of good will, he stayed for minimum wages next season.

a gesture of good will would be for him to hit the old dusty trail.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:That happened right in front of us.....I was sitting with Barks and Joffaboy....

We all saw it coming....Kosi didnt.

Who would have been better last friday?

Siposs coming off a good four goal game @ Sandy? Or Kosi getting one handball?
Dunno. Easy to say in hindsight. But I made the call for him to be dropped and was bagged for it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Would we all agree that Kosi has been an important guard for #12 for a long time.

Taking that extra back man and clearing space.

When he wasn't knocking #12 out that is.

Do we still need someone to perform that role?

Not gonna get easier for Nick if he is getting the double/triple team.

DK27
Club Player

Kossie must be playing hurt. He is looking ordinary. Even earlier this year he was impacting more contests than now.

The game has changed though and forward line pressure is critical to creating turnovers which result in easy goals. Even when 100% his defensive pressure is less than ordinary. With McEvoy, Riewoldt, Stanley, Siposs and Wilkes we have coverage for next year while some kids come through. He is not required for next year IMO. If he has a contract for next year and all the above are fit, he might find himself playing at Sandy.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
clarky449 wrote:If we find a player who can do what he does, but better. Then i dont see any reason to keep him.
Like find someone who is 197cm, who can take contested marks forward and back, kick 50 metres either foot with precision and show scant regard for his body and health for the sake of the club? Sounds like a snap.

His detractors obvious started to see the day only after he came back from his brain injury.

I like Kosi and think he has been a great Saints player over the years. He provided us with a weapon no other club had. But after his injury, he was only 95% of the player he was before. In AFL, that's enough to turn a champ into a chump.
The brain injury reduced him by more like 50% of capacity. It was massive. Sad.
The brain injury reduced him to a Chimp.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA