Haven't felt this bad since the Grand Final losses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Haven't felt this bad since the Grand Final losses

It's probably the end of an era. Since 2004 we've been one of the top sides in the league and while we've been ordinary this year until tonight there was still a glimmer of hope that we could roll the dice one last time. Taking the rose coloured glasses off, we are a team on the decline. Our stars are aging and some are arguably past their peak. We don't have any potential superstars coming though. Guys like Saad, Stanley, Armitage, etc - they're good players and I hope they'll serve St Kilda well for many years to come, but there are no Riewoldt's or Dal Santo's coming through.

This is not to say that we totally rebuild next year. If we do that, we'll languish at the bottom for a long time like Melbourne are at the moment. We need to keep our core playing group intact, but look to bring in more young players and let them learn alongside our greats. And we need to accept that the results might not be flattering. Most of all, we need to make this draft count. The best case scenario is that we develop some really good young players and in 3 or 4 years time have a breakout year like 2004. It might be longer.

:(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Haven't felt this bad since the Grand Final losses

Good post and realistically this is where we are at

There is only 1 way you get a Cotchin to come through.... draft combined with heavy trading

Yes we need to keep our core together but reality is we don't need to keep ALL our core... time to get serious

I truly reckon Kosi has played his last game got the club - he just has no impact and you can't afford to carry a bloke for 5 good games a year.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The era was over the moment the siren sounded GF1 2010.

It has taken some of you two years to work that out?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
andrewg
Club Player

Not sure it's that bad

Simpkin
Ross
Dunell
Ledger
Steven
Stanley
Siposs
Saad
Milera
Big Mac
Cripps
Gwilt
Armo

Montagna
Dempster
Schnider
Dal
Goddard with 3+ to play

+ clever trading and some high picks

Maybe 2014??

Instead of thinking of this year as having a shot at the flag, if we see it as one of our rebuilding years it has been very positive.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Not sure it's that bad

Simpkin
Ross
Dunell
Ledger
Steven
Stanley
Siposs
Saad
Milera
Big Mac
Cripps
Gwilt

Montagna
Dempster
Schnider
Dal
Goddard with 3+ to play

+ clever trading and some high picks

Maybe 2014??
I agree with this 100%

We have some youth coming though and if we trade and recruit smart we can take a couple of years to grow quietly on the cusp of the top 8/4 and we could be a force again.

Geelong and Collingwood's bubbles will burst sooner rather than later and they will burst in a big way.

I really think we can "do a Sydney" and hang around for a bit while we reload for another serious challenge. Some might say that im delusional but wait and see what happens

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not many KPP in that lot...

“Yeah….nah””
The Bluff
Club Player

Not many stars in that lot either, Goddard about to play his last game too.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:The era was over the moment the siren sounded GF1 2010.

Yes, we knew it, as did our coach at the time, and most of our elite players. On the other hand, running up the white flag is not what the game is about. Alas, it will be at least a decade before think about finals again, and that's a lot of pain for us stalwarts. But, that's our lot, however unfair.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

Yes, we knew it, as did our coach at the time, and most of our elite players. On the other hand, running up the white flag is not what the game is about. Alas, it will be at least a decade before think about finals again, and that's a lot of pain for us stalwarts. But, that's our lot, however unfair.
At least a decade, why so much optimism?
We're a Gardiner and Gehrig away from eing real competitive.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
battye
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

At least a decade, why so much optimism?
We're a Gardiner and Gehrig away from eing real competitive.
And by the time we find them, we'll be needing another Riewoldt, Hayes, Fisher. I'm not expecting the next few years to be easy :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
andrewg
Club Player

Stars arrive very quickly
Who would have thought swan or dale Thomas were as good as they have become? Swan was a turkey for 4 years

Did you guys miss the

+clever trading and low picks

Part of the post?????

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Top marks to you jb. I agree....there were some/perhaps many that thought/hoped the window was still open after 2010

One small question I have for you jb; Why didn't brilliant and great ex coach figure it out?

Why did he repeat his Jesse Smith and Adam Pattison 2010 list clogger picks with his 2011 list cloggers in Gamble and Polo...oh that's right he had a contract renewal coming up. That's one of the main reasons I have a dislike for the bloke...faarcken Lyon not only failed to get the chocolates, but his legacy means the club rebuild is two years behind.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I feel as deflated as anyone about our exit from ANY finals footy this season. For the first time in a long time. I'm not sure of the remedy, but all I know is Geelong monstered us tonight. Out muscled, out paced and out-witted.

I'll be happy enough if the Hawks DON'T win it in 2012. I hate those egotistical turkeys with a passion!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Bluff wrote:Not many stars in that lot either, Goddard about to play his last game too.

u know he is?

“Yeah….nah””
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:

Top marks to you jb. I agree....there were some/perhaps many that thought/hoped the window was still open after 2010

One small question I have for you jb; Why didn't brilliant and great ex coach figure it out?

Why did he repeat his Jesse Smith and Adam Pattison 2010 list clogger picks with his 2011 list cloggers in Gamble and Polo...oh that's right he had a contract renewal coming up. That's one of the main reasons I have a dislike for the bloke...faarcken Lyon not only failed to get the chocolates, but his legacy means the club rebuild is two years behind.
When you lose a Grand Final you have to have a dip the following year. Not as though Gamble or Polo cost us anything anyway. Ridiculous post.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

I disagree Joffa. I look at the Geelong's Collingwoods, and Hawthorn's (who've all snagged a flag ahead of us) I cannot see what makes them intrinsically better skilled and more worthy than us. Honestly i can not.

Re the OP, i feel the same. It breaks my bleeding red white and black heart that this current pool of talent, this mighty group of near misses, our Saints of the Riewolt era haven't won a flag. Dare i mention the c word (curse). Farrrk- it's a hard and bitter pill for me to swallow.

Speaking to this year and tonight's game- when i see the side loose many winnable games and miss many kickable goals drop those easy marks fluff those simple passes by hand, i wonder where the side's confidence is and i worry about their belief in themselves and each other.

In my assessment we don't lack the skill and we don't lack the ability fitness or experience. But where we have fallen this year is in our poise and execution. And at the elite level that's just belief and confidence. It's all between the ears. And that's why so many of us so feel frustrated and hurt right now. We deserve better, because we are better.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Good post and realistically this is where we are at

There is only 1 way you get a Cotchin to come through.... draft combined with heavy trading

Yes we need to keep our core together but reality is we don't need to keep ALL our core... time to get serious

I truly reckon Kosi has played his last game got the club - he just has no impact and you can't afford to carry a bloke for 5 good games a year.
Excellent post!

I did like watters interview on SEN prior to the game tonight.

Apparently he is not a patient man and is eager to get us into the top 4 ASAP.

If we have the resources and the know how , we could be back up there in 3 -5 years.

Just hope we have right people who make the decisions in place .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm not entirely devestated.

I guess having a coach openly admit that he isn't about to bottom out, but attempt to rejuvenate rather than rebuild helps with that thought process.

Hopefully he can, that remains to be seen.

Handy that they head hunted Pelchen for this though, the club must of been somewhat prepared that it was about to happen.

Ruckman is the priority for mine, can have the best defence in the world, but we need some help at the stoppages to avoid it going down there so often...someone like a Hale would be perfect if they are out there.

The Bluff
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
The Bluff wrote:Not many stars in that lot either, Goddard about to play his last game too.

u know he is?
Nope, just what I think will happen. Will get much more money at GWS or freo.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Scollop wrote:

When you lose a Grand Final you have to have a dip the following year. Not as though Gamble or Polo cost us anything anyway. Ridiculous post.
What did Jesse Smith and Adam Pattison cost us? I'll answer the question for you because I don't want to hear your ridiculous answer.

They cost us nothing. They were a great lesson and proved that you'll get a lot more opportunity to improve your list with youth, rather than trying with recycled rejects. West Coast, Hawks, Cats and Pies showed us the way. You can have a dip with youngsters just as well as as you can with Gamble and Polo. Those youngsters might turn out to be 100 or 200 game players and may even help your footy club win a flag...when the f**k has any team ever won a flag carrying a bunch of passangers and recycled rejects?