Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Changes for next week

Not a lot of love for Cripps atm.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Not a lot of love for Cripps atm.
Schneider has to come back (if fit) and Dunnell did enough to stay in the side.

Not to Jones coming back either as he cannot kick.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes to Jones coming back and playing on one of Kelly or Selwood, or Lenny doesn't stand a chance.

Looks like their ruckman has hurt his hand, Stephenson.

Johnson may be looked at by MRP

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Watters has stated that there will be a few spots up for grabs, it will be interesting to see who makes way.

Roo is the obvious one
Dunell faded in the second half - he probably does only have the tank for half a game and may be rested
Ledger also faded a bit in the final quarter, though Watters usually gives the kids consecutive games. Could be sub again and do well if only required to play 45 minutes
Cripps played fairly well but he doesn't have an obvious role in the team. Another sub candidate
Gram has actually been much better in the past few weeks. Seems to have pulled his finger out and has been attacking contests strongly for a change. Disposal still not perfect but he stays with improved intensity
Simpkin has been playing great footy and deserves his spot, but doesn't have an obvious matchup v Geelong. Gwilt will probably take Pods and Fisher will play on any other tall they might play - Blake might come in for Simpkin since he can help out in the ruck
Wilkes obviously stays after his great game as the new main forward target

As for the potential ins, there are a few

Milera played well when on the ground today, though it's a bit risky bringing back an inexperienced outside flanker in such a big match off only one really impressive VFL game
Siposs continues to show he's above VFL level and could get a recall. He has struggled to get into some of the more intense AFL games though
Schneider will come in if fit. The club has obviously lied about his injury though so I have no idea when he'll be back
Blake is a strong chance since we'd be left with only one tall forward if Kosi or Wilkes had to ruck
Ray has had fairly strong AFL form all year despite being dropped numerous times. Unlikely but always a chance
Jones may be brought back to tag a Geelong mid. If we do it is a step backwards IMO
Newnes is a coaches favourite and could be rushed back in

And then we might see Watters opt for a senior body like Polo, Peake or Raph.

Honestly I have no idea what changes will be made, but they will give us a good indication of the mindset of the coaches. If we stick with Cripps, Ledger and Dunell and add another kid then we have shut up shop for the season and focusing on next year. If they make way for experience then we're having one last serious crack at the finals regardless of development.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yes to Jones coming back and playing on one of Kelly or Selwood, or Lenny doesn't stand a chance.
Why would Lenny, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Armitage and Steven not be able to compete against the Geelong midfield? I'd have Dal or Joey just play an accountable game on Selwood and perhaps have Lenny stay close to Bartel. We've had much better results this year with skilled players playing a solid defensive game than having unskilled players in the midfield trying to chase stars around.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Yes to Jones coming back and playing on one of Kelly or Selwood, or Lenny doesn't stand a chance.
Why would Lenny, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Armitage and Steven not be able to compete against the Geelong midfield? I'd have Dal or Joey just play an accountable game on Selwood and perhaps have Lenny stay close to Bartel. We've had much better results this year with skilled players playing a solid defensive game than having unskilled players in the midfield trying to chase stars around.

people confuse what CJ does with his kicking. he doesn't kick well but he gets plenty of contested ball and stops the opposition getting their share also. He isn't perfect but guys like Ledger, Geary etc are not going to compete as hard and it will make us second to the ball. When Melbourne fought back yesterday it was on the back of the Saints losing the clearances and we were not contesting well in the centre. CJ does a job and is probably going to be there on friday taking a Geelong midfielder out of the game while getting his 20 wobbly possessions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Just an observation, but it seems to be in recent months, that when Jones doesn't play in the middle on the oppositions best mid, Lenny isn't his best?

I have admittedly been watching Jones a bit this year, was thinking myself it may be time for him to be replaced.

However watching the impact it appears to have on Hayes game, when he isn't in there....maybe it's just coincidence?

I think we can afford to have Jones if he is inside only, shutting down someone and winning his own ball to off load to the better users.

I just haven't liked his being used on outside guys like Beams/Jetta, as he finds himself outside the contest with the ball and isn't the guy we want using it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
I just haven't liked his being used on outside guys like Beams/Jetta, as he finds himself outside the contest with the ball and isn't the guy we want using it.
Beams beat him.

But against Jetta who had been destroying teams CJ was superb. If we had of ended up winning CJ, would have been a big reason why that game.

With CJ...if he takes his man out it his a big plus for us.

As others have pointed out he does a lot of pack work and makes it easier for others. However CJ is one of a number of poor ball users in the team, and in a number of games this year it has cost us dear.

But which ones do you leave out, and if their replacements do not win as much ball which is the lesser evil?

Pelchen will keep working our list over. But that will not help this weeks selection.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes he beat Jetta, no problem with that...however it required him more outside.

Hayes was quiet, and I'm tending to think the two are related....IMO of course.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ray didn't play for Sandy today apparently a back problem.
Newnes sat out the last quarter and a half with what maybe a quad, but is hopefully just a corkie.
Raph may have a busted rib.

Siposs will be in for Roo.
CJ didn't do much today but may be back to do his tagging gig, probably at the expense of Ledger.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think Jones has to come in.

He not only can do a job but his pace and ability to tackle/hurry opposition up is useful in a one paced midfield (barring Steven)

His kicking is a worry - but lets face it, thats a longer term bigger issue for our list.

I also think this gamewill be intense. Cats need a win its gonna be hot......will need a mature bod in centre, shame but can see Ledger make way.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

One things for sure. The players were put on notice nice and early from Scott in his presser after the Melbourne match...he mentioned that there were guys at Sandy pushing for senior selection. That's the first time I've really heard him speak like that. In the past he's spoken about 'dilemmas' for the match committee when senior guys are available after injury...I'd rather the coaches display confidence in their ability to make the right decisions and they need to make decisions based on team balance and form, rather than seniority or favouratism. Maybe SW is ready to make some tough decisions...let's see

Any how, training this week should be awesome for the players bidding for a spot and that hopefully lifts the whole side. If you get selected Friday and you don't perform, there are plenty of guys waiting to take your spot. If all players are focused on putting in a strong performance on Friday night, hopefully that is reflected in the way we start the game on the night. The next three weeks are a good audition for the guys who want to cement a spot in the team

matrix
Saintsational Legend

did rhys play today?

lefty
Club Player

IN. Siposs, Jones, Schenieder, Ray and possibly Milera/Newness
OUT. Roo, Ledger, Cripps, Dunnell,

I think the above is required, even though Cripps and Ledger played alright, they were playing against an ordinary side, and to be honest, I thought that was one of our worst games I've seen us play. Guys need a bit more time to get up against Geelong.

I don't think Blake should come in as Simpkin has been great. Mac and Kosi to the ruck is ok (except I wish f'n McEvoy won the majority of the tap-outs, he's very poor at it).

I don't think Newness will get a call up as the backline stocks seem ok. If Geary or Gram were out of forum, he'd be in, but both are doing well.

Oh and how we miss Stanley... if he's right to play, put him in. We look so much better with him in.
Last edited by lefty on Mon 13 Aug 2012 12:57am, edited 1 time in total.

kalsaint
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:IN: Siposs, Ray, Schneider, Newnes

OUT: Riewoldt, Dunnell, Cripps, Gram

I'd like to see Ledger given the job on Selwood & Ray pick up Johnson

If all things are consistent, Johnson should be sitting out 1 weeek. This is duplicate of what McPharlin (freo) did the week before.

But we know this wont happen as the AFL rules and Video reviews aren't consistent, just like their interpretations and rules changes.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:did rhys play today?

No but he is this week if he gets through training. Not sure he could come straight back though. He has played less than a game in 12 weeks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:IN: Siposs, Ray, Schneider, Newnes

OUT: Riewoldt, Dunnell, Cripps, Gram

I'd like to see Ledger given the job on Selwood & Ray pick up Johnson

If all things are consistent, Johnson should be sitting out 1 weeek. This is duplicate of what McPharlin (freo) did the week before.

But we know this wont happen as the AFL rules and Video reviews aren't consistent, just like their interpretations and rules changes.
Hawkins may not play either but Balme just said that Chappy probably will.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No but he is this week if he gets through training. Not sure he could come straight back though. He has played less than a game in 12 weeks.
has it been that long??
surely cannot come in with hardly any match fitness

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

has it been that long??
surely cannot come in with hardly any match fitness
Yeah from memory he had about 6 weeks off after the West Coast game then got about a quarter in against the Bombers and has missed a further 6 or so since.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Agree. Give Rhys a game for Sandy and then against GWS.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

Stanley won't get a gig this week IMO. He'll play for Sandy if available and see if he can show some form. Scott has already said how important he is for us structurally but 3 months off is a big ask for anyone to come back from.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintbob
SS Life Member

OUT; Roo, Gram and Ledger

IN; Sippos, Schneider and Newnes

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Agre CJ does hurry the opposition. Collingwood looked messy against us because guys like CJ are frenetic and make pressure acts which cause turn overs for the opposition. Geary is another that makes the opposition rush their kicks and causes turn overs more than he turns the ball himself.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's Geelong. Tough and experienced bodies please.
If all fit - Jones, Schneider, Ray. Be tempted to try Siposs.
Dunnell, Cripps, Ledger, Roo out.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "